Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all i am new to the forum only just found it!, my question is: I want to go dcc mainly for the sound side of things, which system should i go for i am not looking for loads of functions all i want is to go up and down with sound i'm not worried about turning myriads lights on and off on my locos, i was thinking of a budget of around £150, other thing is i want to be able to buffer up to another loco and move both off together i think its called consisting?, what are these sound chips like do they actually sound any good ive seen some at exhibitions but in the noise of a hall its very hard to judge the quality, Many thanks in advance Tonyp.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Welcome Tony and Hi,

You'll find a lot of advice here, and a modicum of disagreement. I would say, read the threads elsewhere on the subject and then wait. Possibly the best way to make your mind up is to attend a local show - more and more layouts are now going digital.

My personal opinion would, at the moment be to consider the Gaugemaster Prodigy or the Roco Multimaus, both of which fall into your approximate price range.

Alternatively you could wait and see what the Hornby Elite and Bachmann Dynamis turn out like.

Regards

John

·
Registered
219 Posts
I can't comment on the sound side of things but even a basic system like the Hornby or Bachmann units will let you "consist" or double head or bank.

good luck and welcome to the forum.

Mike

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (Tonyperks @ 15 Feb 2007, 17:00) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi all i am new to the forum only just found it!, my question is: I want to go dcc mainly for the sound side of things, which system should i go for i am not looking for loads of functions all i want is to go up and down with sound i'm not worried about turning myriads lights on and off on my locos, i was thinking of a budget of around £150, other thing is i want to be able to buffer up to another loco and move both off together i think its called consisting?, what are these sound chips like do they actually sound any good ive seen some at exhibitions but in the noise of a hall its very hard to judge the quality, Many thanks in advance Tonyp.

Welcome to the forum Tony.

You will need quite a few functions if you are going for sound - basically if your controller does not have enough functions for all the sounds in your locos you cannot use them & probably wish you had stated with a better system.

The Gaugemaster Prodigy at around £180 is a good mid range unit or the Lenz LH100 for about £40 more, both of which I have & use, although they are a bit over your budget.

The Bachmann Dynamis or the Hornby Elite may be OK when they come out, so it may be worth the wait - time will tell & there are many opinions here about them already !

Digitrax have a good reputaion too, although I have no experience of them, only because I think (& this is a purerly personal opinion) the unit looks too "Maplinish". There are a number of well happy Digitrax users here also.

Take your time have a good look & think about the features you require now & are likely to need in the future. If possible have a play with as many systems as you can.

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
If your main motivation is sound control, then have a look at the ECoS from ESU. As they appear to have built their business on their LokSound decoders, their claim to have added comprehensive sound control to the ECoS seems entirely credible. The only feature I can think of off the top of my head is using the joystick toggle to control the length of the whistle / horn blast on a LokSound. If that idea is appealing, try to see the system at a show where the UK distributor - South West Digital is exhibiting. Since SWD have their own range of diesel (and 1 steam) sounds based on LokSound decoders, they should be able to give a convincing demo.

David

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
Every DCC user will recommend his/her own system. My advice is as always go for the reliability, service, features, and amps.

YOUR FIRST MOVE SHOULD BE TO BUY "DCC MADE EASY" READ AND BREATH IN THE CONTENTS only then can you make a sensible decision. As suggested make the effort and try a few DCC systems, and if you have the bucks don't waste your money on Mickey Mouse systems. Buy and established make, with service, and knowledgeable advice. If you wait for this or wait for that you'll never get started. Best of all is to find someone in your area with a bit of experience, so you can ask the odd question one to one.

Starting with Amps: if you going to use loco's with sound they do use more amps, depending on the size of layout and the number of loco's look at 5 amps tops. You can go higher of course, but then you have a fairly potent welding machine.

Features: what's the point of going DCC if you don't get all the bells and whistles, go for the maxium for your buck, and forget about the controls are like driving a train, thats not what DCC is all about. DCC is hand controls taking your hand set to where your shunting or changing loco's in a station it's about freedom to operate. You have to make quite a BIG DECISION EARLY ON, regarding the route you'll take since we have three cab bus systems, but it's all in the book you can buy it from Amazon for less than a tenner.

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
According to a news item added to Hornby's website today, OnTracks are organising a DCC event in Hereford on Saturday March 3rd. It might be worth a visit if you don't live too far away.

David

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE (dwb @ 15 Feb 2007, 19:14) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>According to a news item added to Hornby's website today, OnTracks are organising a DCC event in Hereford on Saturday March 3rd. It might be worth a visit if you don't live too far away.

Davidsounds good but i'm doing a car rally on sunday so i'll be earning brownie points on the sat!

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
The Ontracks DCC Day will have the first UK public demos of both the Hornby Elite (production version) and Bachmann Dynamis (pre production version)

All these famous names will be there:-

Simon Kohler, Marketing Manager, Hornby
Nick Duxfield, Sales Manager, Gaugemaster plc
John Hills, UK Marketing Mgr, Fleischmann
David Haarhaus, Sales Director, Bachmann

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
201 Posts
Hi Tony,

As someone who has been into digital sound for a couple of months and DCC for just under a year i am a relitive newbie.

South West Digital are top of the class for sound chips and they are cheeper than the other 2. Howes models have some very good sounds but seem to have problems with stock. Mr sound guy is good but the sounds are quite quiet even when on full volume. Bachmann 66 is quite good but i think the whistling on their class 20 doesn't sound right as it drowns out the engine sounds.

I am currently using the NCE PowerCAB as it has plenty of functions and has enough power to run 2 sound equiped loco's passing about 2 Amps to the track . I will be using this system on my 10 x 2.5 foot layout. It is quite a good value system. I got it for £92 pounds from Bromsgrove Models. They also do a booster pack for £54. the 1 major problem with the PowerCAB is that it needs an add-on for it to use a power track. This is not a problem for me as I also use a SprogII (which is another excelent piece of kit) but you will need the extra switch unit for £13.

If you need anymore help feel free to ask.

Alistair

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (dwb @ 16 Feb 2007, 05:21) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>If your main motivation is sound control, then have a look at the ECoS from ESU. As they appear to have built their business on their LokSound decoders, their claim to have added comprehensive sound control to the ECoS seems entirely credible. The only feature I can think of off the top of my head is using the joystick toggle to control the length of the whistle / horn blast on a LokSound. If that idea is appealing, try to see the system at a show where the UK distributor - South West Digital is exhibiting. Since SWD have their own range of diesel (and 1 steam) sounds based on LokSound decoders, they should be able to give a convincing demo.

David Good advice.

I'm quite heavily into sound and other digital effects to the point that I rarely buy locos without them. If you're into sound you do want a controller with at least 20 functions as this is where sound is heading. Most sound locos have Loksound decoders made by ESU in them with one notorious exception. The new Losound decoder has a feature where you vary the whistle by using the toggles on the Ecos so if this interests you the Ecos is one to consider. It is over your budget but It comes highly recommended. It is well worth taking MMaD's advice and taking time to read up on your system and what they do and don't do and which is the right one for you. There is a lot of choice but don't buy as cheap as you can get as you will regret it and have to buy another system when you soon outgrow it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts