Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.

I have not long started building kits despite 15 years of collecting and thought I'd share my builds so far.

My first conversion kits were the FGW Motorail coaches which are now in store.

My first proper kits were a set of Parkside Grampus (rudd) and Clam wagons, which were filled with old ballast for weight, which now number ten.

Then I made the not so brave move to buildings with some Dapol kits including a large two road twin coach length engine shed using 8 of the Dapol (ex-airfix) kits.

Production has turned back to rolling stock though with the assembly from parts of four Mk2a coaches which have been painted in Regional railways blue (1xBSK) and three in faded NSE livery (2xBSK, 1xSO)

Kit building has returned with 2 FNA wagon metal kits from Genesis Kits being recently completed, bar the transfers.

I am now waiting for my next challenge to arrive in the post, 2 DC Kits 150s and 2 Bratchell models 319s (1x319/0, 1x 319/1) which will, hopefully, be motorised with a black beetle in each.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Whilst I'm waiting for my Multiple Units to hit my 'workbench', I have taken to bashing together two Hornby footbridges (R076) to make them wide enough to span three tracks, whilst also having an offshoot to feed the station buildings above the tunnel portal (R8512) and given it a fresh lick of paint.

It has also given me time to change an area of my layout which has seen 2 storage sidings (2-car) repositioned and 3 (1x4/5 car, 2x2car) removed on the existing board and 9 (3x3-car, 6x2car) added to a new upper level. It now seems though that the additions have produced a need for three point motors more .

It has also given me time to adjust a section of track on the soon to be scenic section which removes two reverse curves for a more prototypical transition, aswell as making the mainline more distinguishable from the DMU stabling point.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Hi
Could you send in some pictures of the kits, please?
So far, my only polling stock kit was disastrous as I left the glue to dry and went out.
When I came back, part of it had fallen down putting glue on the axles unreparably and the wall not on properly.
Regards,
Ben

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry, still working on getting pics here at the mo but will do so when I can.

In the mean time, the Class 319 kits are a basic ABS plastic kit so polystyrene cement (plastic glue) should hold it quite quickly if you get the proper stuff. A picture of this and other similar kits from Bratchell Models is available on there website (see below) and also gives a basic view of the bodys parts. They do not include pantographs, motors, seats, paints, transfers or weights. wheels, bearings and couplings are optional. Having them build and paint it is costly. I am getting a Brecknell Willis Pantograph (319/1) and a Stones Faiveley (319/0) Pantograph from Hurst models (see below). Motors and seats (for 321 4car unit) from DC Kits (see further down). Weight will be strips of metal.

Bratchell Models
Hurst Models (2mm=n, 4mm=OO)

The FGW Motorail conversions were made from Lima (now Hornby) Guv vans and a specially commissioned brass kit from Model Rail Magazine. I'm not sure if it is still available. You would need two new B4 bogies and paint to complete.

The Parkside kits are simple to put together but can contain small fiddly parts . They are plastic kits and contain wheels and bearings, you will need to supply your own couplings, paints and transfers. They are available at lots of online retailers, I got mine in a Model Zone store but not all Model Zone stores have them. My couplings are the Bachmann original three hole type hook and bar couplings, which were available in packs from Bachmann, from East Kent Models.

As far as I am aware neither Parkside nor East Kent Models have a website.

The Genesis Kits FNA flask wagon is a white metal kit. You can glue it together with super glue but I would advise using proper name brands as opposed to wilkos or whoever. You will need a sharp knife and cutting mat. There are some small parts in this kit. Wheels, bearings, paints and transfers and couplings are NOT included. I got 12.5mm coach wheels, couplings and Romford bearings from East Kent Models.

Genesis Kits

I am still waiting for the DC Kits Class 150s, so can't inform on them as yet.

DC Kits

The Dapol plastic building kits are the old Airfix ones.

Dapol

If you ever need to leave a model glueing when you go away, leave it supported by something, a pot of paint, a cup, anything, atleast then, even if it doesn't glue, it won't fall apart. I also find it easier to build in patches, build the body and bogies seperately then when both are built put them together.

If at first you don't suceed.............
If I can do it............

So on so forth.........

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
A small piece of advice on plastic kit building - avoid tubes of cement. Personally I use either Revell, or by preference, Faller expert. Both of these are liquid with the thin tube which allows exact application and little waste.

They may be more expensive initially but work out cheaper in the long run.

Regards

·
Registered
340 Posts
QUOTE (BRITHO @ 16 May 2008, 15:56) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>A small piece of advice on plastic kit building - avoid tubes of cement. Personally I use either Revell, or by preference, Faller expert. Both of these are liquid with the thin tube which allows exact application and little waste.

They may be more expensive initially but work out cheaper in the long run.

Regards

I use the Revell one of the two and "Quick-Fix".

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes definately use the more professional plastic glues like Revell, I also prefer the gel type super glue as it doesn't run, useful if you drop it or use too much.

Since receiving the 319 kit I have noticed that it is a whole bogie short and am waiting on replacement cab fronts, as the ones I received in the 319/1 pack were for the 319/0. I'm still waiting for the 319/0 and 150 packs to arrive.

My other half has popped up out of the parapet to have some input, and expressed a wish to have 'a train of her own', nice and pink. I don't mind her having a train but not pink!!!! A compromise was reached, and a mk1 BK and mk1 RMB will form a pink cafe on a disused stretch of line which still has a platform at my small station (Bourne). Just have to come up with a name and logo for it now!!

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (hairyhandedfool @ 20 May 2008, 10:57) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>My other half has popped up out of the parapet to have some input, and expressed a wish to have 'a train of her own', nice and pink. I don't mind her having a train but not pink!!!! A compromise was reached, and a mk1 BK and mk1 RMB will form a pink cafe on a disused stretch of line which still has a platform at my small station (Bourne). Just have to come up with a name and logo for it now!!

Flamingos?...........................................sorry

Regards

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
haha Britho, not sure that will get passed by the other half though!

I think I will stick with the kit windows for now, perhaps I will change my mind when it is built.

As for the motor, I wasn't sure if it would run a four car, as I have only tested it on its own, I had been waiting for the bogie they accidentally left out before I could really test it though. I have the second motor currently if I need it, as the 319/0 may be a while yet, they are still finalising it apparently, even though they 'accidentally' sent me the front ends with this 319/1. I will test this one with the 3 cars I have tonight, if I get the chance, and make a decision from there.

Do you think there will be an issue with two motors in adjacent coaches? There isn't really room for two in one coach without some major work.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (hairyhandedfool @ 21 May 2008, 10:49) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Do you think there will be an issue with two motors in adjacent coaches? There isn't really room for two in one coach without some major work.
Should be OK if both units run smoothly - also make sure that there is little or no slack in the couplings, which will help.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
3 coaches seemed to run okay last night on straight track, but the bits I need to complete are now in the post so hopefully a proper test of four car this weekend.

Also, my 150s are on route, minus some window etchings, which will follow when they are ready, hopefully they aren't that important.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Now the 319 is built I have three problems:

1) The motor is indeed not powerful enough, but I have a spare currently.
2) The coupling on the Motor bogie won't stay put, I will need Kadees for this I think.
3) The coupling on one DTS is derailing the carriage, this would be resolved by the fitting of Kadees.

I'm not worried about problem 1) as Jim did warn me.

The issue on 3) is that that bogie has glued less than a quarter milimeter out of alignment which has put the screw in the coupling in contact with the coach underframe and consquently catches on the corners.

Questions: Can the bar which opens the Kadee couplers be removed? What exactly is the difference between a 312 uncoupler and a 321 uncoupler?

The 319 coaches would not need uncoupling at any stage, so if I fit the Kadees I don't want to accidentally uncouple them.

The 150/2s have arrived minus the etchings for the windows which, it appears, I need, as the windows are vacuum formed rather than moulded plastic, shame. The radio pod is also on the etch.

The kit is a basic one-piece resin body with a one piece resin chassis (except for one exhaust pipe) which contains all the seating. My only problem with this is that the toilet area is taken up by seats! Nevermind, bit of plasticard should suffice, unless there is a piece on the etch. The bogies are also resin formed and are one piece except the motor bogie with comprises two sides to attach to the motor.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Window etchings arrived yesterday and were fitted to one of my 150s which has been outshopped in Arriva turquoise livery, the etching does indeed have a screen for the toilet area aswell as the roof pods (in two parts). Full testing will commence when couplings are sourced.

Also of note now, is that pictures may soon arrive, just have to sort an issue with connections.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Currently on my workbench is this.......

yes its another 319 but so what....
both the pantographs I need for my two 319s have arrived finally.....

but I'm still waiting on some motors for this one.

·
Paul Hamilton aka &quot;Lancashire Fusilier&quot;
844 Posts
Great to see some pictures now - all comes together I reckon especially for those of us not modelling the same era.

Thanks for sharing. One point I might add is that the whitemetal kits are better soldered than glued in the long run and it is really easy to do. I am soldering using flux and lowmelt 70 degree solder, antex iron at 200 degrees - no problems at all on a loco kit, all whitemetal, never done it before. Give it a go!

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Your welcome, they are not the best pics in the world, but if you get the jist of it all then I guess it is worth it.

I had considered soldering the FNAs, but at the end of the day they are the only whitemetal kits I have or are likely to buy at the mo, so the cost would have been prohibitive. That said I am still looking at signalling and may have to get a soldering iron anyway! D'oh! Forward planning was never my strong point!

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
QUOTE (hairyhandedfool @ 18 Jul 2008, 09:01) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Your welcome, they are not the best pics in the world, but if you get the jist of it all then I guess it is worth it.

I had considered soldering the FNAs, but at the end of the day they are the only whitemetal kits I have or are likely to buy at the mo, so the cost would have been prohibitive. That said I am still looking at signalling and may have to get a soldering iron anyway! D'oh! Forward planning was never my strong point!

Hi
Good advice on soldering ... while you are purchasing an iron get a pot of flux the solder will flow a lot better.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The pantographs have finally been added to the 319 models

The 319/3 has the Brecknell Willis pantograph

The 319/0 has the Stones Faiveley pantograph

1 - 20 of 40 Posts