Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
My name is Peter ,I live in lincolnshire .
I have worked /played with old oil engines for some years but the time will soon be here when moving 2cwt oil engine around will be more work than pleasure so model engines seems like a good idea especialy as I have been given an archangel Prince of Wales model but I now need to learn about model steam trains and the modelrailforum appears to be a good place to start

·
Registered
436 Posts
Welcome also Peter. Do you also keep bees? Forums could always do with honeyed words!

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Welcome aboard Peter, I feel sure you'll get the help you need.

Incidentally I assumed (rightly or wrongly) that beekeeper was a reference to Sherlock Holmes who kept them in his retirement and was an avid rail traveller.

Regards

·
Registered
97 Posts
QUOTE (BRITHO @ 12 Nov 2007, 13:56) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Incidentally I assumed (rightly or wrongly) that beekeeper was a reference to Sherlock Holmes who kept them in his retirement and was an avid rail traveller.

lol. That's not something a normal person should know. lol.

Hello Peter. Have fun on the forums! Lots of info to be found here.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (Sir Galahad @ 19 Nov 2007, 20:21) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>That's not something a normal person should know.

It's one of the problems with a literary mental inclination - I just retain lots of useless data.

Regards

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi all, I am a new comer to railway modelling i have been slowly building up stock over the years (Im 56) and now have the time to start to put everything together but I reckon I will need lots of help and advice,Im thinking of a branch line layout
approx. 8ft x 14inch with possibly a 2ftx2ft section tacked on the end in an L shape, my stock is heavily GWR biased as this is the period/area im interested in,also i would like some help with removing paint as some of the loco,s I have bought have been badly hand painted and req stripping and repainting any help most gratefully received.

·
Registered
574 Posts
QUOTE (Beekeeper @ 11 Nov 2007, 18:25) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi
My name is Peter ,I live in lincolnshire .
I have worked /played with old oil engines for some years but the time will soon be here when moving 2cwt oil engine around will be more work than pleasure so model engines seems like a good idea especialy as I have been given an archangel Prince of Wales model but I now need to learn about model steam trains and the modelrailforum appears to be a good place to start

Hi peter. Welcome to the forum. I did a quick internet search on archangel Prince of Wales and ended up with he battleship. Would I be right in thinking the one you've got is a live steam model...?

Al..

·
Registered
574 Posts
QUOTE (oldman @ 23 Dec 2007, 12:15) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi all, I am a new comer to railway modelling i have been slowly building up stock over the years (Im 56) and now have the time to start to put everything together but I reckon I will need lots of help and advice,Im thinking of a branch line layout
approx. 8ft x 14inch with possibly a 2ftx2ft section tacked on the end in an L shape, my stock is heavily GWR biased as this is the period/area im interested in,also i would like some help with removing paint as some of the loco,s I have bought have been badly hand painted and req stripping and repainting any help most gratefully received.

Hello Oldman. WEelcome.
It might be worth posting this up in it's own thread so as not to get mixed up with Peter's.
Maybe one of the moderators could move it across for you.

Back to the paint stripping question. Are the metal or plastic loco bodies...?

·
Registered
574 Posts
QUOTE (oldman @ 25 Dec 2007, 03:52) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Plastic Bodied ,thick matt black paint to remove.

Many years ago I did see a plastic paint stripper on the market. It was like a paste that you paint on the model then stick it in a plastic bag over night before washing it off. Seem to remember it worked reasonably well...

·
Registered
6 Posts
QUOTE (Al @ 25 Dec 2007, 13:47) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Many years ago I did see a plastic paint stripper on the market. It was like a paste that you paint on the model then stick it in a plastic bag over night before washing it off. Seem to remember it worked reasonably well...

Thanks for your reply,I think I will try turps substitute,and nitromoors on some scrap plastic and see how that goes,Also can any one help with locomotive lamps brass or plastic as I cant find them any where tried all I could think of on ebay no luck
Cheers Jim.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Modelstrip is the name of the product you're looking for. You have to be careful with polystrene because most of the stuff that takes paint off also dissolves plastic.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (Sir Galahad @ 19 Nov 2007, 20:21) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>lol. That's not something a normal person should know. lol.

BRITHO is certainly "not Normal".

Regarding the paint stripping question standard brake fluid is very effective - it's often the material of choice for BRITHO. He will probably be able to add some more advice when he gets back to "work".

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Oldman,

Whatever you do don't let nitromors, or any of the own brand equivalents, anywhere near plastic of any description.

As dbclass50 says one of my favourites is brake fluid, but some of the modern synthetics don't seem as good. Brake fluid does no damage to plastics at all (hence the plastic reservoir on modern cars). Care should be taken with skin as it is not very friendly.

Microstrip is a good product but owing to it's chemical nature can not be sent via the postal system, however most good model shops stock it at around £5-6 a pot.

Hope this helps.

Regards

·
Registered
6 Posts
QUOTE (BRITHO @ 27 Dec 2007, 13:46) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Oldman,

Whatever you do don't let nitromors, or any of the own brand equivalents, anywhere near plastic of any description.

As dbclass50 says one of my favourites is brake fluid, but some of the modern synthetics don't seem as good. Brake fluid does no damage to plastics at all (hence the plastic reservoir on modern cars). Care should be taken with skin as it is not very friendly.

Microstrip is a good product but owing to it's chemical nature can not be sent via the postal system, however most good model shops stock it at around £5-6 a pot.

Hope this helps.

Regards

1 - 20 of 23 Posts