Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all,
I am quite new to model railways, i've spent quite a few years as a 1:76 scale military modeller using railway related items in my dioramas, I think my dioramas have been getting bigger whilst the military content smaller.
I have just bought my first 00 gauge loco, some track and a controller from my local model shop, now i need to convince my wife that the spare room needs to be a working diorama.
David

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

QUOTE now i need to convince my wife that the spare room needs to be a working diorama.

Try "Salami" tactics. You start with something quite small - say 6ft by 2ft - get it quite presentable looking and "cute", then during a demonstration say "It's nice but with an extra couple of feet in that dead corner, it could be so much better" and with a bit of luck that will get another "slice" of space. Repeat until the whole room is occupied.

My modelling advice is more reliable

Enjoy

David

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Hi David and welcome to MRF.

I think David has got the right idea with the expansion theory.

Mind you this is fast becoming a David thread.

From another one

Regards

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
Hi David,

I have the opposite problem with the ladies trying to encroach with the keep fit stuff, still, I'm lucky, I have an office & decent sized workshop to myself.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Apart from the Daz mountain......

Regards

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Everybody

I am a "newbie" in the real sense having never had a model train when I was a youngster.

However having received a Hornby Flying Scotsman train set for my Christmas (I have had more than 60 Christmases!) my interest has been well and truly stimulated and I am about to start building a layout.

Only question at this point is "what is considered to be the best 1:76 diecast range of models for a 50's and 60's layout?

Cheers,
Tom

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
QUOTE "what is considered to be the best 1:76 diecast range of models for a 50's and 60's layout?

I don't know as I've only just started a collection of 50's era vehicles for my layout. I'm not old enough to remember vehicles from that time period, so I'm using Wikipedia to decide what Austins, Fords, etc. are ok time wise. The models of cars from the 60s do look convincing. I'm tempted by a "Morse" Jaguar and I'd love a Mini but they're too late. With buses I'm even pickier - not only has the period got to be correct, they have to be Leeds related too and being Leeds I keep a look out for trams as well.

So far I have models from
Oxford Diecast
Classix
Corgi
Original Omnibus

Most places stock Oxford Diecast and Classix and you see many of them at exhibitions. The cars are a few quid each, so buying a couple to decide if they are close enough for what you want isn't too expensive.

David

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
hello to you both and welcome to the forum.

i am sure many of us have spent some of our time doing 1:72nd military models. most of the time i have found that they are close enough to 1:76 for me not to worry about it.
the only exception to that was when i wanted to do a military train and i got some tanks. then i realised that they were far too big to sit on the wagons!

Peter

·
Premium Member
4,854 Posts
Hi David & welcome to the MRF.

I find that handbags, shoes and jewellry work well. It's all a matter of equalising expenditure on SWMBO with what you spend on the layout. I think it might come under the heading of 'incentivisation'. Once she latches on to the principle that the more you spend on the railway, the more you spend on her, it's amazing what you can get away with. Just keep your receipts hidden though.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (TomMac @ 15 Jan 2009, 17:07) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I am a "newbie" in the real sense having never had a model train when I was a youngster.

Ah you obviously had a deprived childhood!

David has already mentioned the best of the 1/76 diecast models available, but didn't mention Skaleautos (the Hornby version of Oxford Diecast, but with some colour variations) Oxford actually do a range of vehicles of which the Series 1 Land Rover in both long and short wheelbases is available.

Another manufacturer is base toys, also available under the Bachmann label, although I find these to be rather crude in comparison.

Regards

1 - 13 of 13 Posts