Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
Today's news item reported here on the BBC website blames new heavier trains for increased wear rates on rail networks in the south and south east. If B or H introduce models of these trains, will Peco code 100 be strong enough?

David

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (dwb @ 30 Aug 2007, 02:59) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Today's news item reported here on the BBC website blames new heavier trains for increased wear rates on rail networks in the south and south east. If B or H introduce models of these trains, will Peco code 100 be strong enough?

David
I run my Trix Big Boy on Peco 100 and have no problems. They don't come much heavier than that. It is more about securing track than any problem with the track itself.

I do drink a fair bit of Irn Bru though.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
back in the early 90's..at an NMRA local meet, I bought an old, used Rivarossi Big Boy for about £8........stuck it onto the HO modules 'layout' that as there..and to my amazement it actually ran qute well!

It had a few knocks and scrapes....but thhbiggest headache eventually was when I discovered later, teh two plastic gearboxes above each 'engine' had gone and 'crytalised'.....so didn't just 'fall apart''...they 'crumbled''......

big shame...I still have most of th bits to it!

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (alastairq @ 29 Aug 2007, 20:16) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Irn Bru....that's what's needed?

Nah - Red Bull is what they need........

But on a more serious note is this problem down to the very cheap way that the permanant way was built in the 1850's? I remember a few years ago when Ramsgate station was relaid they (BR then I think) had to remove everything down to the original surface below the ballast and start again. it took a while but was interesting from a modellers/photographers point of view.

I have got some photos (somewhere!) which if all goes well I will scan and post.

Regards

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (alastairq @ 30 Aug 2007, 16:59) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>back in the early 90's..at an NMRA local meet, I bought an old, used Rivarossi Big Boy for about £8........stuck it onto the HO modules 'layout' that as there..and to my amazement it actually ran qute well!

It had a few knocks and scrapes....but thhbiggest headache eventually was when I discovered later, teh two plastic gearboxes above each 'engine' had gone and 'crytalised'.....so didn't just 'fall apart''...they 'crumbled''......

big shame...I still have most of th bits to it!
Might be worth seeing if you can get spares to resurect it.

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Model track does wear over time if used extensively. Warley MRC has a layout built 5 years ago where rails are very clearly worn in places mainly on curved sections and points.

Among enthusiasts of the genre Hornby Dublo track is renowned for wearing over time as a result of the very heavy locomotives and rolling stock and metal wheels employed. The outer rail on curves and point frogs are normally the first areas of track to show signs of wear. Its more obvious if the rails are the plated design.

The wear results in uneven running and wobbling of locomotives and rolling stock and poor running across points with random derailing at frogs caused by different levels across points.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Bring back the West Country/Battle of Britain lightweight locos specially designed for the south and south east!

It seems that the old engineers knew what they were doing after all!

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (Doug @ 31 Aug 2007, 15:15) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Spread the load - Bring back Garratts

And all the infrastructure!

Regards

·
Registered
267 Posts
On the upside all these new trains are a lot more comfortable to travel on though - And generally are a lot faster than what they replaced.

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
QUOTE Bring back the West Country/Battle of Britain lightweight locos specially designed for the south and south east!

Whilst on the way to an "Orange Wednesday" night out this week, I was stopped at our local crossing for an unrebuilt example to flash through. My guess is that it was "Tangmere". My son said something rather uncomplimentarty about the whistle sound.

David

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
QUOTE On the upside all these new trains are a lot more comfortable to travel on though

Not too sure about this one. I had a most comfortable ride when sinking into a nicely cushioned Royal Scot seat in a compartmented coach on the Seven Valley Railway recently and thought precisely the opposite!

The trouble is modern coaches are too long and each carrying too many portly people putting excess load on the track!

QUOTE I was stopped at our local crossing for an unrebuilt example (Battle of Britain loco) to flash through. My guess is that it was "Tangmere".

Hopefully Network Rail engineers had a dynometer coach attatched and were making track loading comparisons as a prelude to the reintroduction of a full service.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
QUOTE Might be worth seeing if you can get spares to resurect it.

nice thought...but the spares would likley add up to more than a new one?

besides, those hugely deep and sharp flanges would slice through the sleepers on my Peco code 75......

I also had a Rivarossi 0-4-0 pennsy switcher in the deal.....the motor sadly gave up...what a monster that was!

the tender went to another [freelance, as I coudn't find any photos, which doesn't mean it DIDN'T exist...] 0-6-0 switcher....

whilst on the subject...... what about ''hammer blow''....and hornby live steam?

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
QUOTE Hopefully Network Rail engineers had a dynometer coach attatched
I can't say I noticed one
. The nearest to the bright yellow? of engineering coach were the Pullmans. I don't recall what the loco's support coach looked like.

David

·
Registered
15 Posts
QUOTE (Gary @ 31 Aug 2007, 16:31) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Bring back the West Country/Battle of Britain lightweight locos specially designed for the south and south east!

It seems that the old engineers knew what they were doing after all!

Happy modelling
Gary

In those days, we had an integrated railway, where the people who designed and built trains worked for the same company as those who designed track, built it and maintained it! Thank goodness for privatisation - what a wonderful idea that was!

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE nice thought...but the spares would likley add up to more than a new one?

besides, those hugely deep and sharp flanges would slice through the sleepers on my Peco code 75......

I would take it from that that the Rivarossi Big Boys don't have RP25 wheels then. I have the Trix Big Boy which does have RP25 wheels as it was intended for the US market. It's interesting that some manufacturers offer this option and some don't.

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
Hi Neil
You said: I would take it from that that the Rivarossi Big Boys don't have RP25 wheels then. I have the Trix Big Boy which does have RP25 wheels as it was intended for the US market. It's interesting that some manufacturers offer this option and some don't.

*** The Rivarossi Big boy has been produced under Rivarossi, AHM and I think for a while Walthers brands - the same loco has been going in one way or another for for perhaps 30 years.

Initial production had those larger flanges, then the became a little smaller, then RP25 or close to it over the last few years of Rivarossi's existence.

Alistair: The biggest thing in your initial comment was the death of the gearboxes... almost certainly, this is a good example that all modellers should be aware of - This is a very uncommon fault.

the "disintegration" is almost certainly due to an earlier owners use of the wrong lubricant, with the chemicals attacking the plastic.

If the other loco came in the same purchase, just in case, I'd strip it and clean it thoroughly with a good stong detergent than reassemble with a good "safe" lubricant!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts