Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hornby's new model announcements for 2009 got me thinking and as a result I have challenged myself to do the following in the next 12 months:-

Get over the disappointment of no new Eastern region models and do some kit / scratch building. So the plan is
Build a Comet J72 replacement chassis + motor to go under one of my Mainline split chassis J72s which has got a strange internal intermittent short
Buy one or two Brassmaster detailing kits for some RTR locomotives and apply them
Learn how to airbrush my collection of Parkside kits
Build a Comet Thompson coach

I think it will take me 12 months to get those done in between the other more mundane things like laying track etc.

Anyone else?

David

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
hmm tricky one this.

1. make more money from the models! i love making models but they do need to pay some more of the bills this year.
2. do more photo restoration of transport pictures (hopefully also helping to pay the bills!) perhaps involving the purchase of a new slide scanner!
3. i would like to improve my loco lining.

i would also love to have a go at some scenic work. something i have never done.

Peter

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
I was going to get a kit to do but seem to have spent the money on a BR52 Kriegslok. Ooops.

More sound instalations on existing stuff.

More detailing of existing stuff.

Maybe a diorama? I'd like a KPEV station scene.

I have to do a Scottish station for my layout however need to find some parts.

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
*** Finishing projects that have been languishing while I spend far too much time in the business and online...

(1) Finish the 4x Jubilees and 3x 4F's that have been sitting half built on the bench for a while now.... and make a start on a few more kits too with luck.
(2) Build a few more coaches to complete two full trains for the Thames Clyde express.
(3) Make a start on turning part of my large S&C layout into an exhibitable layout with the help of several friends who have been nagging at me to do it for months now.
(4) Photograph more of my work to have a record of it.

Commercially... Finish the test track and get some of our new projects to market so I have a good excuse to visit UK before too long... I have a definate need to recharge the enthusiasm by spending a few days on the S&C again, camera and ruler in hand!

All the best for the new year to all MRF members

Richard

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (Brian Considine @ 29 Dec 2008, 10:29) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Repair/service the 20 odd locomotives to the side of the bench & have a good clear out of rolling stock that I no longer need.

Well that's the first six months of 2009 accounted for then!

As for me I think it will have to be to actually start work on my own layout and spend less time on caring for a certain Belgian layout.

Like others I think a few kits could be in order as I know I'm going to need some wagons that aren't available as RTR.

Regards

·
garage hobbit&#33;&#33;&#33;
1,715 Posts
I am hoping to get Milldale up and running by finishing the track laying on the fiddle (and wired up) instal the contollers and power packs (once they are obtained) finishing off the several building that are lying around in a half built state.

Do the pullman converstion I have been on about for awhile (the 12 wheeler ones announced may have to be added along with the observation saloon)

Get the LNER Tourest Stock completed with Aresthusa (which means to comiting to buying them)

Ride more steam lines, even have a go on the footplate

Buy a new car

Celebrate my First Weding Annivsary

NOT have kids

Get promted so I can have more money to spend on the railway

Ask permission from SWMBO for all the above!!!

Happy New Year to everyone, hope 2009 is a good year for us all

Happy Modelling

Brian
CME Milldale

·
Premium Member
4,854 Posts
Where to start ?

Firstly I have to put together about 200 DG Couplings and fit them to my freight stock and locos.

Second task is to fit new 'Nbrass' front bogies to my 4 GWR 4-6-0 s. (1 King, 1 Castle & 2 Halls) Still waiting for my 2 're-tooled' Ixion Manors (Grrrrr !!) but hope they won't need re-bogying when they do, eventually, arrive.

THE major task of the year is to build the 14 arch (1.5 metre long) stone viaduct for my layout. This will be a plywood structure with 'Linka stone' cladding. The ply structure will be in 4 sections which will bolt together. I presently have about 200 stone elements cast but need over 1200 to complete it. The worst parts to make are the copings which are so fragile and difficult to get out of the mould without breaking them. All of this is made more complicated by the fact that the top of the viaduct will be at a 1 : 86 gradient so every arch is a different height. Is it just me or do others make life unnecessarily complicated for themselves ??

If I get all of that done I really must get to grips with the new Badger airbrush I bought this year.

Only time will tell.

·
garage hobbit&#33;&#33;&#33;
1,715 Posts
Look forward to seeing that viaduct, sounds like its going to be a excellent piece of engineering, can we have lots of pics please when you get round to starting it?

Brian
CME Milldale

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
You have to ask the boss for permission to earn more money? Or is it permission to spend it once earned

Regards

·
Registered
531 Posts
Thought this was a good opportunity to set myself some goals! I tend to use a small S&D shunting layout as my test bed for new (to me ) techniques. I have already completed Digitrax DCC installation on it (without sound) and have 3 DCC equipped tank engines operational on it. The larger SR/S&D layout has more to be done eventually. So my 2009 programme is as follows:

Rolling Stock
- Weather RTR wagons and paint over that nasty shiny finish to underframes - particularly Dapol (50 per cent done)
- Complete replacement of plastic coal by real thing in wagons and tenders (30 per cent done)
- Complete fitting of tension-lock couplings to ABS, Ratio etc wagons constructed in 1970s/80s (50 per cent done)
- Complete fitting of DCC transponders to tender locos - N15, WC Padstow, 4Fs and 2P (20 percent done)
- Trial DCC sound in City of Wells (0 per cent)

S&D Shunting layout
- Improve running and contacts of traverser
- Replace all brick paper buildings
- Re-do backscenes - possibly using Photoshop improved photos of Mendips (just like in Model Railroader Nov 2008!)

SR/S&D Layout
- Complete fiddle yard/cassettes
- Convert electrics to DCC
- Re-do backscenes - possibly using Photoshop improved photos
- Re-model station building and platform

No pressure then!

·
Premium Member
2,578 Posts
QUOTE (Robert Stokes @ 28 Dec 2008, 16:28) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>My new year modelling resolution is to do less thinking about it and actually get on and do more of it.
Ditto for me too, stop complaining about lack of room and build a diarama!
Steve

1 - 20 of 43 Posts