Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I installing my first decoder could I ask a question please.
The decoder is sealed in clear plastic.
I assume take this off so the heat dissapates!

Leaving the plastic on would be nice as it would be easy to
stick the plastic to the loco body rather than fixing
the decoder.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Hi
You havent stated what make of decoder your using??
If the "Plastic sleeving" which I suspect is heat shrink tubing factory fitted, should be left on. Digitrax are often sealed. Some decoders are supplied like this and other makes either have a piece of tubing supplied but not fitted (Hornby for example) while others have none at all and it isnt needed for these.
Hope this helps

·
Registered
208 Posts
You have not said which type of decoder it is but I would not remove the plastic sleeve as this is for insulation and make the location to place the chip easier. If you remove it you may find that if it moves it may short out on part of the loco chasis and thats one dead decoder. Some of the chips that come with a sticky pad to attach one side still need the surrounding metal parts insulating to stop the chip touching any metal parts whilst assembling the model. I have found that most chips do not get very hot unless you overload them, normal running barly gets them warm.

hope this answers your question

regards

mike g

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE (mikeg @ 5 Oct 2007, 12:02) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I am glad I asked the question then.........it's a viessmann 5246 and I am trying to wire up an old
athearn. I have tested it and it works okay but the decoder gets more than just warm. The motor and
drive is the same as this.......
http://www.tcsdcc.com/decoderpics/Athearn%...thearn_sd45.htm
also it now runs very noisely which it did not on dc but I understand other people have had this problem.

You have not said which type of decoder it is but I would not remove the plastic sleeve as this is for insulation and make the location to place the chip easier. If you remove it you may find that if it moves it may short out on part of the loco chasis and thats one dead decoder. Some of the chips that come with a sticky pad to attach one side still need the surrounding metal parts insulating to stop the chip touching any metal parts whilst assembling the model. I have found that most chips do not get very hot unless you overload them, normal running barly gets them warm.

hope this answers your question

regards

mike g

1 - 4 of 4 Posts