Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
In depth idiot
8,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the great Brummagen bunfight hasn't even started yet, but there are two already in OO.

Accurascale, class 50

Heljan, Newton Chambers car transporters.

And Hornby have announced an announcement. Possibly an open day at Margate for offended retailers to make their views known?

·
Premium Member
2,940 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,940 Posts

·
In depth idiot
8,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
...Seems a bit of a change of direction where they have gone for one offs (or near one offs) previously.
And also for subjects with no existing competition in RTR, unless I have missed something?

(Bachmann's v1 EE type 4 is good enough for me; even with the side detail slipped 2mm downwards, it still has all the appearance of EE's lumbering lump. And Bachmann have since corrected this defect with their v2 - and I think its now getting lights? Drive is 'the usual' from centre motor mechanisms, smooth and quiet throughout the speed range, and will make scale for maximum rated speed with more than double a prototype load behind.

Wait and see if the expressions of interest = viable... My money's on 'Nul points'.

Hornby's 'announcement'...Can't say I'll be falling over exclusive club people for that one personally....
Fixed that for you. :LOL:

·
In depth idiot
8,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also from Rapido;
... B-Set: https://rapidotrains.co.uk/gwr-b-set-coaches/
Even if the B-sets are to the same high standard as the LNER dynamometer (minus the electrical issues!), £170/pair (£85/each) is veeeery steep....
How do feel about the LMS' first design of general merchandise open wagon, estimated price £33...

This extremely numerous wagon design (and its successors) went 'everywhere' on the steam operated network (Thurso, Dover, Penzance, Mallaig: look at photos and find them!) but has never had a RTR model. (For some weird reason the nearly as numerous LNER wood and LNER/BR steel equivalent 'general merchandise wagon' designs have had all the RTR attention, Oxford's 6 plank, Bachmann's hi-steel.)

·
Premium Member
2,940 Posts
How do feel about the LMS' first design of general merchandise open wagon, estimated price £33...
...My response is that it isn't an accident that nearly all of my stock is kit-built (Cambrian do one of the same prototype), and the only modern RTR I own is a couple of Oxford Rail brake vans and tank wagon.....

That said, I realise that kit-building isn't for everyone, but £30 for a fairly plain open......

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Also from Rapido;
Even if the B-sets are to the same high standard as the LNER dynamometer (minus the electrical issues!), £170/pair (£85/each) is veeeery steep....! Maybe I'm just out of touch....
I can't quite see the point of a 44xx. BR commenced withdrawing them straight away and they were gone by 1955,, so unless one is modelling pre-nationalisation or the very first few years of BR, they are out of period. They had long gone by the halcyon BR steam years of the early 1960's.
Presumably, Rapido will be modelling the 44xx with its different sized wheels ?

I agree that £170 is a lot for a pair of coaches. Once OO coaches start topping the £100 boundary, you might as well go just a little bit further and get O Gauge versions which are significantly more detailed: Review of Lionheart B Set

And get an O gauge 45xx to haul them: Review of Lionheart 45xx

I have a Bachmann 45xx and Hornby B Set. They are nice, but the O gauge versions are way better!

As for a Y7, I can't see the point at all. Looks like we are scouring the dregs for something to manufacture.

A 40 does make sense, but I would have thought that Bachmann's relatively low key approach to them indicates that they probably aren't as popular as some might think. Personally, I find the 'whistling' of the prototype incredibly infuriating and annoying. Does my ears in!

Hornby's Coronation makes sense too. The loco has been part of their catalogue since the 1980's and given current calendar events, it makes total sense to apply a timely name.

·
In depth idiot
8,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
...My response is that it isn't an accident that nearly all of my stock is kit-built... That said, I realise that kit-building isn't for everyone, but £30 for a fairly plain open...
Happily there were very good kit options in the past for this essential vehicle, from ABS and 3H.

When the 3H kit was released (1976ish) it was rather expensive, possibly 95p, compared to the more usual 60-70p for injection moulded wagons, but then it did have high grade pinpoint axle MGW wheelsets with steel tyres and brass bearing inserts. I stashed these for the future, as railway modelling was being displaced by career etc..

All assembled now of course, and a particularly welcome feature of the 3H models is that the side sheeting was deliberately made somewhat rough, for a representation of a wagon that had been in traffic a decade or more. Useful for someone modelling toward the end of steam, when they were decidedly rough and the big white X or 'Cond' was about to appear on the sides.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
As for a Y7, I can't see the point at all. Looks like we are scouring the dregs for something to manufacture.
Is it any different to the Industrials that the manufacures have realised their is market for. At least a couple of Y7s still exist and the loco is apt for a colliery scene using the Accurscale chaldron wagons. A missing loco that no one to date has announced is the K4 2-6-0 with the preserved The Great Marquess enhancing the scope for sales; something Hornby have singularly missed by not tooling the bits for the correct varient of the K1 to allow for 2005/62005 to be produced.

·
In depth idiot
8,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Price is good, so presumably it’s ('Coronation') a Railroad model?
It's not 'Railroad', it's a 'Club Exclusive' model. What that actually means in terms of content, only the exclusive club members that buy one find out.

In the same vein, the metal bodied pacifics in 'nostalgia market' replica H-D packaging. Only those that buy get to assess the product*.

Two distinct product lines that are sold directly by Hornby in a quantity to fulfill the orders taken, are largely insulated from the baying critics online; and as the owners never take them out of the box, there's no returns for defects.

I wouldn't be remotely surprised if they extend the idea to an Italian nostalgiafest for the Limatics...

*If the 'H-D' A4 is offered in Kylchap exhaust form and BR late crest, I am 'in': and it won't stay in the box - I'll sell that - but will go into regular service on the layout and I will report. (All the recent metal bodied locos I have had from Hornby (B12/3, D16/3, J15, J36) are very good: and given the choice I would have nothing but metal bodied steam models for the weight this provides, because the brands various are inconsistent in provision of sufficient weight in steam models.)

·
In depth idiot
8,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Is it (Y7 0-4-0T) any different to the Industrials that the manufacturers have realised their is market for. At least a couple of Y7s still exist and the loco is apt for a colliery scene using the Accurscale chaldron wagons...
It's all about small, is the bottom line. Plenty of UK OO layouts now awash with RTR models, but something small might just be fitted in. And not only are there a couple of Y7's, they are operated too, which gives them extra exposure.

I haven't been following closely just how many 0-4-0T have been produced or announced since the MR Sentinel or Hornby Peckett started the current run of good quality 0-4-0T's, Hattons Barclay, Dapol B4 and Hawthorn-Leslie announced, so this Rapido announcement makes it six? I am a little surprised that Hornby haven't yet renewed their Neilson 'Smokey Joe', as this was used by both the CR and NBR in some numbers, and modern tooling practise could effectively cover the necessary variations.

Noticeably absent from among the usual suspects, Bachmann have 'done different' in small OO steam, and gone for OO9 instead.

... A missing loco that no one to date has announced is the K4 2-6-0 with the preserved The Great Marquess enhancing the scope for sales...
It's an attractive subject for sure, but has limited application, and although the K1 supplies the basis of a good mechanism for Hornby, that's all. Everything else is different where the main cost in current practise in model production is concerned, which is the research, design, tooling and build of the visible exterior parts. An all new tender is required, and the devil is in the detail on the loco: similar overall outline for sure, but almost everything subtly different, apart from the Ross pop safety and superheater anti vacuum valves ...

Now, if Hornby did have a proper go at broadening the choice in Scottish models, then from those built by the LNER there is a spread the cost opportunity, if they are prepared to 'steal' from Bachmann and offer the J39 alongside the closely related J38 which spent its working life in the Fife coalfield. The LNER 3,500 gallon tender required for the K4 has parts in common with the earlier LNER 3,500 gallon tender - never previously available in RTR OO - required for the J38 and some J39s. And the J39 is another missing loco, now that Bachmann have decided not to renew it, and there must be a lot of folk whose old split chassis J39 is wearing or worn out, and could use a new all singing and dancing 0-6-0 in the style which Hornby have recently demonstrated to good effect.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts