Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
DT
4,794 Posts
We are looking for a member who lives close to York and who would be interested in doing some reporting for us - mainly of events that take place at the NRM in York.

You would have to be able to take good digital photos and put pen to pad and give us a little report on proceedings. You would also have to be relatively flexible with your time as some events are mid week.

If you are interested, please send me a PM or email ASAP.

·
DT
4,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Something to add to this after a little discussion amongst ourselves.

If anyone from any region of the UK (or World) would like a Journalist badge from Model Rail Forum and a Media pass so that they could go out to events, shows end Toy Fairs and produce some regular reports for the rest of the members of the forum, please contact me about it.

We go to the British Toy Fair and Nürnberg every year, but there are others.

This is not to say that regular members can't report on a show that they attend - by all means continue to do so, but we're looking for people who would be willing to go out with the specific intent of producing a report and taking photos for the forum.

Still looking for someone from York.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I'm available for the whole of Scotland
I am about to quit RailBritain.com at the end of the year and already have some great contacts throught the industry
I am also in regular contact with Tim Winsor (who is currently involved with Great Central Trains, but that's another story!)

PM me if this is of interest

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
I could easily do Melbourne as thats where I am at the moment. Unfortunately going to other capital cities here is the equivelant of going to another country in Europe so that likely to be rare. I do go to most of the shows here any way so that shouldn't be a problem. I have posted information on some of the shows here but unfortunately I didn't find there was much interest. So it's really your call as to whether you think it's worthwhile?

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Hot news about new UK products is always widely read and is always of interest to the Model Rail Forum community. Bachmann and Hornby and others hold their press events all over the UK and they do limit entry to these events to members of the press with press passes. As Doug has said earlier Model Rail Forum has a journalistic licence with certain responsibilities that go with that. I cover certain events and it would be nice to expand the portfolio of press events covered.

Articles are a different subject area and are not journalistic and have a very long life. News is time limited. I would not be dispirated if published work is not perceived as being widely read. You just never know and you never know where it can lead and it does give the author something to add to their portfolio of published work. And it provides practice. And you also know that you will have absolutely no qualms about inviting your guests to view your work here.

It would seem reasonable to allow feature authors to provide a brief summary of themselves and their interests in a box at the bottom with a link to a website of their choosing as a reward for offering up an article appropriate to the theme of Model Rail Forum. This appears fair as long as the website is family viewing of course and is a pretty good incentive to get those articles published at Model Rail Forum. Doug would have to have the final say as editorial controller when vetting submitted articles and links.

This work could of course already be copyright work that you have published elsewhere and feel deserves a wider audience. And this set of circumstances is entirely different to posting in the forum where info is more transient.

Great articles and great news stories can have interesting consequences!

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
342 Posts
Unlikely to be anything of that nature going on round my way although if there was in the middle of the week i might be able to assist certainly not available at weekends

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE Articles are a different subject area and are not journalistic and have a very long life. News is time limited. I would not be dispirated if published work is not perceived as being widely read. You just never know and you never know where it can lead and it does give the author something to add to their portfolio of published work. And it provides practice. And you also know that you will have absolutely no qualms about inviting your guests to view your work here.

I guess thats why I still do it.

QUOTE Hot news about new UK products is always widely read and is always of interest to the Model Rail Forum community. Bachmann and Hornby and others hold their press events all over the UK and they do limit entry to these events to members of the press with press passes. As Doug has said earlier Model Rail Forum has a journalistic licence with certain responsibilities that go with that. I cover certain events and it would be nice to expand the portfolio of press events covered.

There is no equivelant here in Aus. The local model rail companies are small and of limited interest overseas. Most of them make kits rather than the finished product. If I was at home rather than here I would love to do this. It would be a good opportunity for someone.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I live near York, and i *could* report on some things But i dont want to become a "official" reporter, as i currently have far more imortant things to deal with this year & next. (GCSEs!)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts