Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It must be one fo the worst kept secrets in model railways that there is going to be another Bachmann NRM model.

But which one?
One person has told me that Bachmann scanned the NER Q7 at the same time as the deltic. but I dont have any confirmation of that. also i cant really see it being a good seller. it really dosent have anything like the charisma of the Deltic and is frankly rather dull as far as NRM loco's go. I think the majority of the people that have bought the deltic dont really give a dam where or when it ran. they just bought it because its a bit different. it has huge novelty value. something that i feel the Q7 severly lacks.

The Chinese KF1 has been announced by Bachmann China. it could be numbered and packaged to be sold in the UK as an NRM model but knowing bachmann china even if it were to beproduiced as an NRM model then i think it will be several years before we see it.

Scotsman - been done and very nice it is too

I would dearly love a stirling single!
City of truro i think would be very popular.
shinkansen 0. i would love it but i really cant see that one happening

My money is either on a stirling single or city of truro. if i had to place a bet it would be city of truro.

Peter

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (pedromorgan @ 27 Mar 2008, 21:51) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>It must be one fo the worst kept secrets in model railways that there is going to be another Bachmann NRM model.

But which one?
snip
My money is either on a stirling single or city of truro. if i had to place a bet it would be city of truro.

Peter

Noooooooooooooooooo.

LMS 10000 + 10001 in a twin pack as a limited edition, followed by a few tousand in individual boxes....or a kirtley 0-6-0 tender loco with outside frame, or a Midland compound, or a 2P, 3F, 4F.... the Q7 is even OK

10000+10001 makes economic sense as it'd be twice the speed of tooling cost amortisation.....

ANYTHING other than another bleedin South/South West of London Locomotive.... Please!

Richard

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
QUOTE (Richard Johnson)LMS 10000 + 10001 in a twin pack as a limited edition, followed by a few tousand in individual boxes....or a kirtley 0-6-0 tender loco with outside frame, or a Midland compound, or a 2P, 3F, 4F.... the Q7 is even OK

2P i think its too "normal" for a 4-4-0
3F its just a tank engine! its like they had a huge roll of tank engine and cut off 30 feet!!
4F hmmm. like the 2 above i would buy it but i dont think it has the charisma and wouldnt sell in the NRM gift shop. dosent really have the wow factor.

Kirtley 0-6-0. -wouldnt that be a little stunner!!

10000+1001 would be nice but as a double pack they would be about £180-200. i really cant see that selling in the gift shop. as singles maybe.

Peter

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (pedromorgan @ 27 Mar 2008, 22:16) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>2P i think its too "normal" for a 4-4-0
3F its just a tank engine! its like they had a huge roll of tank engine and cut off 30 feet!!
4F hmmm. like the 2 above i would buy it but i dont think it has the charisma and wouldnt sell in the NRM gift shop. dosent really have the wow factor.

Kirtley 0-6-0. -wouldnt that be a little stunner!!

10000+1001 would be nice but as a double pack they would be about £180-200. i really cant see that selling in the gift shop. as singles maybe.

Peter

*** 3F as in tender loco Peter... lots of them were everywhere for a very long time.... to me, lots of "character" too.

The Kirtley would be a winner given the current tooling quality and has so many variants possible it'd be a good toooling investment too.

I think that the LMS twins would sell OK at that price - after all, the brass variant sold well at well over that with all its little quirks... and anyway - how many of these specials are sold thru the gift shop really - MOST were phone in and email orders I'd bet!

Richard

·
Registered
342 Posts
my personal preference would be for the 76 or 84 BUT I am certain it would be a kettle and probably one of the more famous ones in the collection

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
QUOTE (Richard Johnson @ 27 Mar 2008, 13:05) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Noooooooooooooooooo.

LMS 10000 + 10001 in a twin pack as a limited edition, followed by a few tousand in individual boxes....or a kirtley 0-6-0 tender loco with outside frame, or a Midland compound, or a 2P, 3F, 4F.... the Q7 is even OK

10000+10001 makes economic sense as it'd be twice the speed of tooling cost amortisation.....

ANYTHING other than another bleedin South/South West of London Locomotive.... Please!

Richard

Any of the above for me would be great!!! MY wish list would go:

Kirtley
Turbomotive (not an option for the NRM really)
Compound
Claughton
Garrett
LMS Twins
2p
3f

If I was gonne bet on it, I'd def go for city of turo

Rob

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
>Green Arrow V2

but DCC ready at the very least...

David

·
Registered
312 Posts
Old Coppernob or Hardwicke please

or
LSWR 2-4-0WT No 298 (Beattie well tank)

or
GNR 4-4-2 No 251 (large boiler Ivatt Atlantic)

Looking forward to the T9 No. 120

but probably

Mallard?

Lima did the Shinkansen so there's a possibiltiy via Hornby

Has Winston Churchill been made by Hornby yet? probably waiting a suitable anniversary . .

Rocket?

M7 class No 245

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
QUOTE (dwb @ 28 Mar 2008, 17:53) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>>Green Arrow V2

but DCC ready at the very least...

David

Sadly it isn't DCC ready 31-550A was in the 2007 product line up and is down for an April/May 2008 release date.
So the next NRM loco from Bachmann is likely to be released sometime next year and I'd expext it to be a Super D. It's the latest model from them and seems to have a bit of a cult following.
Thinking outside the box how about an APT-E

As for Winston Churchill Hornby have been there, done that. '229 is out now and they have a second NRM model this year in the T9 so I expect their 2009 to be a Schools.

·
In depth idiot
7,677 Posts
If there is to be another NRM exclusive, I imagine that they will be guided by visitor reaction to the exhibits. And why should it be confined to locos? The NRM items my wife wants in model form are the two 12 wheel Royal train saloons. It will save me a lot of work if they do those...

·
Registered
16 Posts
What do some people on here have againt 'Truro'? It's a fantastic, unique engine. They'd be best off doing that, they'd become more popular than Hornby, and make much more money, almost everyone wants it.

·
Registered
312 Posts
QUOTE (Camborner @ 28 Mar 2008, 20:55) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>What do some people on here have againt 'Truro'? .
Well it's just they are afraid of the GWR model takeover again, people just can't help baiting GWR enthusiasts it's kind of traditional, (they'll buy it but not admit it!)
There are lots of complaints about the huge number of Southern models being made at present so the manufacturers can't win. Makes me happy though and the Western region devastated the West of England line in BR days so I couldn't be seen to condone them as it causes me more work with all those flippin loops I have to keep sticking trains in!

Don't worry we're all probably wrong but it's fun

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (PaulRhB @ 29 Mar 2008, 20:37) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Well it's just they are afraid of the GWR model takeover again, people just can't help baiting GWR enthusiasts it's kind of traditional, (they'll buy it but not admit it!)
There are lots of complaints about the huge number of Southern models being made at present so the manufacturers can't win. Makes me happy though and the Western region devastated the West of England line in BR days so I couldn't be seen to condone them as it causes me more work with all those flippin loops I have to keep sticking trains in!

Don't worry we're all probably wrong but it's fun

*** Yes and No

From my viewpoint as a midland/LMS modeller its more than that really: For the whole of the area covered by Midland/LMS/L&Y/LNWR which formed the largest of the groups, and covered more of UK than any other railway we are totally underrepresented in loco's for a proper workaday layout.

We have most of the big classes and more glamorous loco's to be sure, most reasonably well done (except the parallel boiler Scots and Patriots)... but 90% of the loco's that ran pre-grouping, during the grouping and after it during BR were hauled by workaday Loco's such as types like the 4-4-0 Compounds, 2P, + Kirtley & Deeley/Johnson derived 3F/4F tender locos etc....

So: basically whilst GWR for example already has a plethora of small loco's made for it in 4mm scale we have nothing of quality to represent ANY credible model of a branchline, or to model a realistic real world "layout sized" train.

ie:

Freight train either local or longer distance Pre-8F days and often subsequently too ... because "big power" on the unfitted Midland/LMS trains was more often than not double headed 3F or 4F's :) )

...and nothing for MOST of the passenger traffic either as far as mid sized or local or mid distance -passenger loco-wise, as they were more often than not 4-4-0's such as the Midland/LMS compounds and 2P's.

So.... Whilst yes its fun to tease or berate all those poor inferior railways whose up lines pointed North, the need for loco's to represent the core of a credible layout for the lines that covered more of UK than any other Pre-BR AND under BR is the real reason for our Plea!

Richard

·
Registered
982 Posts
Nothing against Truro at all. I meant it was the obvious historical model to make. Personally I'd rather see a Bulldog or Dukedog .

Russell

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
QUOTE What do some people on here have againt 'Truro'? It's a fantastic, unique engine

erm......whilst it is unique in the sense it is the last survior....like so many others......Truro was in fact just one of a large class of engines.

In modelling terms, this would be an ideal B/mann choice as , apart from the Truro version, so many others can be produced with livery/numbering changes.......then there's the options of Bulldogs, etc?

DELTIC was/is a bit of a prima donna in railway terms......so easily identifiable, especially to my generation......pretty, too...so adding to its popularity.

Truro has the same charisma.......but with more marketing versatility.

But what about ''Gladstone?''

this loco used to be the typical example featured in all those non-anorak books on railways?????

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (Richard Johnson @ 27 Mar 2008, 13:05) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>LMS 10000 + 10001 in a twin pack as a limited edition, followed by a few tousand in individual boxes....

Er hardly NRM specials as they don't exist, but mainstrem yes - even South of the Thames modellers could run them!

QUOTE (pedromorgan @ 27 Mar 2008, 13:16) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Kirtley 0-6-0. -wouldnt that be a little stunner!!

No argument on that front Peter

QUOTE (alastairq @ 30 Mar 2008, 15:34) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>But what about ''Gladstone?''
Sounds good to me but possibly a bit 'South Coast' for some?

Regards

·
Registered
312 Posts
QUOTE (rb277170 @ 30 Mar 2008, 13:02) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Nothing against Truro at all. I meant it was the obvious historical model to make. Personally I'd rather see a Bulldog or Dukedog .

Russell
Couldn't agree more with the Dukedog as a model, though not in the national collection, it's just a bit more attractive than Truro.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts