Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My preference would be a GWR/BR(WR) pannier.

After all, how many home layouts can do justice to a Duchess with sound compared with those that would love the sound of a shunting pannier ?

·
Registered
526 Posts
QUOTE (oldrocker @ 15 Feb 2009, 21:26) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>My preference would be a GWR/BR(WR) pannier.

After all, how many home layouts can do justice to a Duchess with sound compared with those that would love the sound of a shunting pannier ?

I do believe that SWD list this sound project and have done for some years.

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
Hi

I do agree but sound in the "big" loco's is so much more exciting. Richard from DCC Concepts has a great pannier sound file and I think someone did a review of his black 5 also with lights etc a couple of months ago.

I have even seen and heard his Hornby Tomas the Tank engine and you don't get much smaller than that.

If you want a good job on a pannier done (with extras if needed) contact Richard, he is the man who helps with 90% of dcc inquiries on here and he knows his stuff.

His contact details are [email protected]

Hope that points you in the right direction.

m

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I agree that shunting with sound locomotives can be a good deal of fun, as well as challenging if, like me, you don't change the inertia settings or use the shunting speed function (available on at least some of the exisitng sound locomotives and decoders).

My next projected sound loco was to be an unrebuilt West Country (Hornby loco with Howes or DCC Concepts decoder) but ... South West Digital have just released a Western diesel-hydraulic that caught my imagination, so that is now my birthday present to myself!

I would like a class 08 or 09 with sound, again fo some shunting fun. Maybe next time ...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Trouble with sound is once you've tried it you want it all the time !

Anything non sound is, well, a bit boring !

It's addictive imo !

Next challenge .. . GWR railcar ! If anyone tells me that's available the cheque book is ready !

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
Hi

See Richard again for the 108 or railcar. I have a 108 posted on youtube but cannot give links as the minesite I am on has blocked links to youtube facebook photobucket etc.

m

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
QUOTE you-tube... mine-site

Hmm, him-?

David

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
QUOTE (Piemanlarger @ 17 Feb 2009, 22:10) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...E:IT&ih=001

shameless plug as i have some sound locos for sale.
the 08 is alot of fun but does not suit my layouts so its just been on the shelf.

Shameless plug appreciated! I have now set up a watch on your item - good value at the moment but may well go up (suits you but not me, then!!!!
).

My Westen sound decoder arrived today and has been hastily fitted in the Heljan "Western Talisman" with the one standard speaker and given a good test run around the layout. It requires a different driving technique than most of the other sound locos I have (Bachmann and Howes), so I should put my "L" plates on until I get the type approval! Sounds good but I'll start experimenting with combinations of speakers until I get the best sound. I took a bass reflex speaker out of my Hornby clas 50 and replaced the previous rectangular speaker I had used, together with a standard 23mm round one, and I think the sound is actually btter. The bass reflex may get a workout in the Western next.

On the other hand, a bass reflex speaker (plus standard 23mm round one) in my Heljan class 58 worked a treat with the sound quality.

Of course, Hornby have announced a class 50 with sound but with a rather odd (to my mind) choice of livery. I'll be very interested to hear that when it comes out.

I'm still debating whether to have Howes reblow my Bachmann class 24; I love the Bachmann sounds but I find the unresponsiveness of the sounds to the throttle settings rather frustrating.

·
Registered
334 Posts
QUOTE (Lancashire Fusilier @ 18 Feb 2009, 11:11) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Are you positive about the not posting overseas? We're good for it over here you know!

I do actually post overseas as long as i can send recorded delivery. Sorry, the 08 just sold.

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
I am surprised it hung around for so long I thought that was an excellent price for a s/h model.

My little 08 has sound + 6 functions for lighting.

m

1 - 17 of 17 Posts