Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently acquired a Hornby J94 hoping that it would perform better than the Dapol J94 I already have to the extent that it would not be so noisy due to the gears I think!

I find out however that it has exactly the same motor and gears as the Dapol one; indeed it would seem that the Terrier and LY pugs also suffer from the same problem.

Any thoughts on how to quieten these down?

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
I had a persistant problem with one of our J94's....it was indeed noisy.....then the gears started to strip.

the problem was the motor pinion started to go out of mesh with the next gear.....eventually free play in the motor caused the gears to part company, stripping the teeth from the axle gear.

this is what is probably happening......plus, excessive end play in the motor shaft causes noise as well.

as it happened, Hornby got sent the remains and had to cure it for good.

run the loco minus bodyshell, and watch the motor pinion/gear relationship.

look for excessive end float at the motor, and possible slight ''lifting' of either the motor shaft, or the motor complete.....at the gear end.....

possibly, excessive vertical axle movement could initiate stripping of the gears too.

·
In depth idiot
7,679 Posts
They are rather variable, relying on little plastic mouldings secured by self tappers to a larger plastic moulding to clamp the motor in place, any poor alignment or looseness leads to the problems Alastair describes. If it is out of warranty, then strip it down, clean up any flash on the mouldings and reassemble to try and obtain better alignment and firmer motor clamping. I have used Evostick (the old high octane variety not the newly introduced environmentally safe but useless replacement) to assist in holding everything together when tackling a particularly ropey specimen for a friend. The service sheet may help. http://static.hornby.com/files/ss-211e-j94...omotive-296.pdf

Although a fairly crude drive, once it is mechanically sorted it is quiet, and a decent decoder can extract pretty respectable performance.

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have quietened my two down at last with a bit of adjustment. Now here is a question. Has anybody tried converting an Austerity 0-6-0 into one of the earlier 48150 class with shorter saddle tank and exposed smokebox?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts