Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
In depth idiot
8,428 Posts
They are rather variable, relying on little plastic mouldings secured by self tappers to a larger plastic moulding to clamp the motor in place, any poor alignment or looseness leads to the problems Alastair describes. If it is out of warranty, then strip it down, clean up any flash on the mouldings and reassemble to try and obtain better alignment and firmer motor clamping. I have used Evostick (the old high octane variety not the newly introduced environmentally safe but useless replacement) to assist in holding everything together when tackling a particularly ropey specimen for a friend. The service sheet may help. http://static.hornby.com/files/ss-211e-j94...omotive-296.pdf

Although a fairly crude drive, once it is mechanically sorted it is quiet, and a decent decoder can extract pretty respectable performance.

·
In depth idiot
8,428 Posts
... Now here is a question. Has anybody tried converting an Austerity 0-6-0 into one of the earlier 48150 class with shorter saddle tank and exposed smokebox?
Answer: 'Saint Johnstoun'!

So what's the 'Jintyesque' variant you have also (I guess) carved out of this model?

I have just one of the Hornby production J94s, now over 15 years since I got it s/h, previous history unknown. Somewhat to my surprise, since 'adjustment' all those years ago it has continued to run smoothly and quietly, and pulls well thanks to a large infusion of lead where once was mazak.The tyres are now thoroughly worn and bright brass, but the brass doesn't corrode or dirt up so pick up is reliable. Pretty good for a cheap purchase, it was half the price of the Lenz Gold decoder inside it, that being the only Lenz decoder available to purchase at the time, 'Silvers' all sold out, and the Standard still some years in the future).

·
In depth idiot
8,428 Posts
That's a neat design evolution overview. How to instill confidence in your potential customers. We had experience of the long term proven design used by the largest UK railway business, which most of you will have seen working. We only altered those aspects of the design known to better fit our product to industrial users needs. The advertising practically writes itself.

·
In depth idiot
8,428 Posts
Unlikely to be direct contact with a moving part, as you would probably have spotted the 'witness mark' as evidence of the contact, and possibly noticed sluggish performance especially when starting. The hard attachment points of body to mechanism are quite enough for effective conduction; try the loco with the body not screw attached, maybe then try a little rubbery black tack insted of screws for body retention.The underlying problem is that the body is resonant at one or more of the frequencies of vibration from the mechanism; effectively the body is acting as a loudspeaker diaphragm, just what we don't want..

Difficult to further ameliorate too, mass loading in the middle of larger flat panels may help, but the interior is probably short of space to do this...

·
In depth idiot
8,428 Posts
I wonder if it would be worthwhile also trying another intermediate gear set for what it is worth in buying one for a few pounds?
Very much your call. There does come a point when there is a risk of moving into 'polishing a turd' territory. I am fairly brutal now given the quality of what is generally available, and have sold almost all my old stuff and replaced with current. (Personally wouldn't hesitate with a Dapol Terrier as it is markedly inaccurate.)

·
In depth idiot
8,428 Posts
That's forty years progress, largely due to the adoption of technique proven for HO! I expect it will sell, practically anything that works 'moves ' if the price is right.

·
In depth idiot
8,428 Posts
... still a bit slow. Any ideas folks?
Simply, it's not a quick mechanism, the 50:1 gear ratio on medium sized wheels sees to that; and if any of the carrying wheels are not free running, the driving wheels will slip a little. Long time now since I fiddled with one in original form, is it possible that with the body tightened down on the mechanism part of the body work is contacting a carrying wheel or the flywheel?

·
In depth idiot
8,428 Posts
The fact that part of the bodywork is diecast has to be remembered.
Good point. Never seen this particular problem on an OO steam model, but it has happened on OO diesels with an 8 pin socket mounted on top of the large solid diecast chassis block typically found in centre motor drives, Heljan I think most vulnerable to this in the past.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.