Model Railway Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I think Dapol is going to be quietly retired as I don't want to spend any more time on it! I'll see if Col. Holman F. Stephens would like it! (Maybe somebody at the Model Railway Club will take it off my hands!) (Which they did tonight!)
Passed on to another member of our local Model Railway Group last night - a replacement has been sourced!

·
Premium Member
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Oxford Adams Radial Tank. Took it to run at the club tonight and it was very slow! got home and checked it over including careful oiling but if I put the body back on and tighten the three screws it doesn't run at all. Slacken the screws and it is OK but still a bit slow. Any ideas folks?

·
In depth idiot
8,467 Posts
... still a bit slow. Any ideas folks?
Simply, it's not a quick mechanism, the 50:1 gear ratio on medium sized wheels sees to that; and if any of the carrying wheels are not free running, the driving wheels will slip a little. Long time now since I fiddled with one in original form, is it possible that with the body tightened down on the mechanism part of the body work is contacting a carrying wheel or the flywheel?

·
C55
2,653 Posts
Works fine without the body, and with the body on with the screws loose, but fully tighten them and no movement.
That rather rules out, Motor, Decoder, Gears and Pick-ups, rather leaving interference between the body and the working movement. Time to get out the glasses and look to see what there is on the inside of the body, which might be brought into contact with any part of the drive. There might also be an item on the chassis which could be pressed against the body to slow the drive, Wires, Wheels, as well as the main body,

Julian

·
Premium Member
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
That rather rules out, Motor, Decoder, Gears and Pick-ups, rather leaving interference between the body and the working movement. Time to get out the glasses and look to see what there is on the inside of the body, which might be brought into contact with any part of the drive. There might also be an item on the chassis which could be pressed against the body to slow the drive, Wires, Wheels, as well as the main body,

Julian
Got it. The 8 pin blanking plug had rather long tails and was shorting on the underside of the coal bunker on the body. I filed the pins down and it is working fine. It was DCC fitted when I bought it but as I am analog I took the decoder out and replaced with with a plug.

·
Premium Member
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
That's good news and much more simple than a number of other possibilities.

J
Any locos I get with Decoders fitted I take them out and fit blanking plugs and pass the decoders onto a friend who runs DCC. In this case the 8 pin plug just happened to be somewhat greater in total depth than most I have used.
It is a bit low geared but manages two SR Pull Push sets no bother.

·
In depth idiot
8,467 Posts
The fact that part of the bodywork is diecast has to be remembered.
Good point. Never seen this particular problem on an OO steam model, but it has happened on OO diesels with an 8 pin socket mounted on top of the large solid diecast chassis block typically found in centre motor drives, Heljan I think most vulnerable to this in the past.

·
C55
2,653 Posts
I had the problem on an 08 Hornby shunter, but it identified it 'self as I pressed it home. It wouldn't press in to the depth of the pins, leaving a couple of mm under the PCB, which made me curious enough to look at the other ends. On inspection, the Blank had particularly long pins, like St J experienced. I had to file the pins down, as it was attached to a decoder, so many years ago, so I can't recall the make. Ever since, I have made a point of checking the ends for clearance, but not come across the problem since.

J

·
Premium Member
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I had the problem on an 08 Hornby shunter, but it identified it 'self as I pressed it home. It wouldn't press in to the depth of the pins, leaving a couple of mm under the PCB, which made me curious enough to look at the other ends. On inspection, the Blank had particularly long pins, like St J experienced. I had to file the pins down, as it was attached to a decoder, so many years ago, so I can't recall the make. Ever since, I have made a point of checking the ends for clearance, but not come across the problem since.

J
In my case it was the back of the plug that had rather long tails on the pins.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.