Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· DT
5,345 Posts
I have yet to find a loco that is impossible to add a decoder.

Some are downright difficult and I have a couple of French locos with the decoder sitting in the cab - but as the cab is not visible when the loco is running - I can live with it.

You can remove or modify ballast to fit a decoder, use the tender, or tanks and cab.

Give us a list of the ones you think may be tricky.

· DT
5,345 Posts
Here is a review of a J83. Similar to the J94 in principle.

http://www.bromsgrovemodels.co.uk/hornbyclassj83dccinstr.htm

Cheaper decoders offer fewer features. Unfortunately some of those features determine how smooth the loco runs and how precisely it can be controlled.

I've tried the 'cheap' Lenz LA1000A. Didn't work out and I moved on to the LE1014W for cheapness and the Lenz Gold JST (10433) for ultimate quality.

You can use a Bachman decoder in a Hornby loco and a Hornby decoder in a Bachmann loco.

Some people have experienced some trouble using the Hornby decodes. We will be fully testing them soon so watch this space. I'm sure that if they can be set to run the loco smoothly at low speeds, then they are a good deal.

· DT
5,345 Posts
Gary, there are no isolated sections of the track in the diagram I provided. Look again - the whole track is live. The points are live electro-frog points and with those, you have to isolate the frog rails. You have to also provide power behind the isolated frog rails.

Judging by the post above, I don't think edzmen saw the plan on the previous page. Here it is again:

When using the Hornby DC power clip with DCC, open it up and snip off the capacitor that connects the terminals. This capacitor interferes with the DCC signal.

If you have a short and your controller doesn't cut out automatically, sure there could be problems. All modern DCC controllers have short protection built in so it shouldn't be a problem.

· DT
5,345 Posts
QUOTE (edzmen @ 11 Dec 2006, 18:00) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>So just to clarify:

I could, if i want, just use the R8232 Hornby DCC Electric Point Clips - instead of the link wires - to get the current flowing to all parts of the line, via the points?

Yes.

Later on, you may find your point blades get dirty and cause a bad circuit. This is why we install BUS wires that help guarantee a clean circuit throughout the layout. Take a look at the DCC Jagon buster for more info.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.