Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,102 Posts
QUOTE Also, does anyone know of any Hornby or Bachmann models which cant take a standard DCC chip within the body? Due to the costs of the 'micro' size chips, Im not keen to use less than the standard size/function chips. While you can put any decoder in any loco, some are better suited to certain motor types than others. Some of the tender drive Hornby locos don't go too well with budget decoders. I have been advised to use at least Lenz silvers or I believe someone mentioned a Zimo decoder on one thread which was meant to be ideal. More recent models don't seem to have many problems with cheaper deocders it's just that the performance could be improved with a better one. I had a lot of bad experiences with cheap decoders so don't waste my time with them anymore. Try a couple of different decoders, some cheap and some better quality, and make the choice for yourself based upon the performance they give and your requirements.

·
Premium Member
8,102 Posts
QUOTE (edzmen @ 11 Dec 2006, 11:26) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks for all the advice chaps!

Just one question:-

On my current layout I have 3 main lines and 3 DC controllers providing the power.
Will i need 3 Select units, one for each line, the same as DC - or can one DCC controller be wired to power 3 lines?

Thanks
One DCC controller will do the lot but you may need a power booster if you are going to run loads of trains simultaneously.

·
Premium Member
8,102 Posts
QUOTE (edzmen @ 11 Dec 2006, 11:45) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thats good news!

So the controller just plugs into the existing track power pins straight from the off - or do you need to buy extra leads?
You'll have to ensure power goes to all the tracks and that your points are wired appropriately. Some would go as far as ensuring every piece of track has a connection.

·
Premium Member
8,102 Posts
QUOTE (edzmen @ 11 Dec 2006, 12:44) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Currently, I have 3 power pins on the layout - one to power each line.

I noticed the Hornby Select unit only has rear jacks to connect one DCC track power pin. Does this mean i can only power one line using the controller?

With the layout set up as it is, there is no way the power could flow to all parts of the line using one track power pin...

Is there a way around this or is the current flow on DCC different to DC?

Thanks!

You have to think beyond one controller to one track power pin. With the cable coming from your DCC controller you need to get your positive wire and negative wire and add a couple of extra connections to power your other tracks. You can solder these on to the existing power line coming from the rear jack. At least one postive and negative power cable will need to go to each circuit or branch line you intend to use.

While with analogue power only one loco would be on the track at any one time it was only neccessary to have the current active on the section where the one loco was, with DCC you could have several locos on one track and it's branches and so all track should be powered to enable you to get the full benefit of DCC. The current flow from DCC is different from DC but this has no real impact on what we are talking about here.

Your one DCC controller will cover all three connections that your three dc controllers did but you will have to wire your three tracks to the one power lead.

I'm probably not explaining this very well and it may be worth having a look at Alan Gartners website which has a better explanation.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.