Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about converting my standard DC layout to DCC in the new year.

Will I only have to replace the controllers and fit decoders to my locos to get it to run?

Also, does anyone know of any Hornby or Bachmann models which cant take a standard DCC chip within the body? Due to the costs of the 'micro' size chips, Im not keen to use less than the standard size/function chips.

Depending on the work involved, and the costs, I'm weighing up whether or not its worth it...
[I have about 10 locos which would need chipping]

Thanks!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For sheer lack of space I got the impression that the Hornby J94 would be a bit tricky - and I have three which would require chipping...
The rest are all express engines - so there should be room in the body no problem.

Just out of interest, can Bachmann loco's use Hornby Decoders?

Are the cheaper decoders worth the bother - or does it show in the running of the loco?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for that info, it should come in very handy.

I was thinking of using a Hornby Select DCC controller to start with. On my current layout I have 3 main lines and 3 DC controllers providing the power. Will i need 3 Select units, or can one be wired to power 3 lines?

Where do you buy your decoders from, by the way?

Thanks again for the info!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the advice chaps!

Just one question:-

On my current layout I have 3 main lines and 3 DC controllers providing the power.
Will i need 3 Select units, one for each line, the same as DC - or can one DCC controller be wired to power 3 lines?

Thanks

·
Registered
55 Posts
Currently, I have 3 power pins on the layout - one to power each line.

I noticed the Hornby Select unit only has rear jacks to connect one DCC track power pin. Does this mean i can only power one line using the controller?

With the layout set up as it is, there is no way the power could flow to all parts of the line using one track power pin...

Is there a way around this or is the current flow on DCC different to DC?

Thanks!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for that.

Do Hornby make an instruction manual for setting up the track? My layout basically has three ovals, and a plug and go option would be great.

Since reading one of the DCC websites I've heard all sorts of nasty tales of melting plastic, damaged rails, burnt-out motors and fire hazards due to running the increased current through incorrectly set-up track.
I'd be lying if i said it hadn't put me off a bit. Is it really that tricky to get right - or dangerous if done wrong?

With the ammount of I've spent on the layout so far - it would be a huge blow if something nasty occured through 'making the switch'.

Or have i just been reading bad information?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Thanks for that John.

My layout measures 4.5ft [w] by 7.5ft [L] and consists of 3 ovals so I can run three trains at once under DC - so I presume high current problems wont occur because of the size?

So standard Hornby DC power clips can be used for DCC? Thats a relief! Can I just plug all the DCC lines into the existing DC clips, or does at least one power clip have to be a dedicated DCC design?

Also how do you go about connecting all the track power wires to the main controller lead - and also isolating the points?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
QUOTE (Gary @ 11 Dec 2006, 14:15) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>How many Hornby points do you have and do you have any areas currently isolated for standard DC?

I have about 10 points on the layout, for mainlines and sidings.

Sorry, im new to all this electrical jargon; what do you mean by 'isolated for standard DC'?

Thanks,
Ed

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Thanks very much for all your help guys, really appreciate it!

It looks like i'll give DCC a try this Christmas - I'll let you know if i encounter any further problems.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
QUOTE (Doug @ 11 Dec 2006, 15:24) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Here is a track schematic plan to use when you use the Hornby points with connector clips (wire pack R8201).

So just to clarify:

I could, if i want, just use the R8232 Hornby DCC Electric Point Clips - instead of the link wires - to get the current flowing to all parts of the line, via the points?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.