Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to get this film on dvd, but I don't want the cut version they show on tv here. Does anyone know the correct running time?
The version I first saw had Keneth More hearing about and then being introduced to Victoria, the later version has this part cut.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
According to John Huntley's "Railways on the Screen", the running time is 129 minutes. It is a Rank production. I cannot find it listed in any of the catalogues I've got, so I regret I can't make any suggestions as to where you might get it from.

Regards,
John Webb

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I took the plunge and ordered North West Frontier from Play.com. At under a fiver it seems to be very good value, I just hope it doesn't have the Gupta scene cut.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My dvd came yesterday and as I feared it's the cut version. There's about two minutes missing if my memory is correct. It's the Carlton version as shown on tv.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
QUOTE (poliss @ 8 Jan 2008, 17:23) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>My dvd came yesterday and as I feared it's the cut version. There's about two minutes missing if my memory is correct. It's the Carlton version as shown on tv.
Sorry you've not got what you want; I presume it is a scene close to the start of the film. What is the actual running time of your DVD compared to the 129 minutes John Huntley quotes?
Regards,
John

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
The running time stated on the box is 124 minutes, so that means 5 minutes are missing. :-( It's the part that Caption Scott first hears about and then is introduced to 'Victoria'.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It goes something like Governer:"Wait, there is another engine here. An old shunting engine. Go and see Gupta in the yard.........Captain Scott:"This doesn't look like much of an engine. Are you sure she could do the job Gupta?" Gupta: Oh yes Sahib. Victoria is a very good engine sir. I can have her ready in a very soon moment sir."
That isn't the correct words, but it will/might give you an idea of what's missing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts