Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Bog Snorkeller
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I'm Mike and, if you know your shed codes, you'll already know I'm from Nottingham, England and, as I've been an avid reader of the forum for some time decided it was time I joined. Some of you will know me from a similar forum as Silver Surfer but, so my brain can cope, I decided a re-name was required for membership here.

I'm well past my sell by date and have modelled mainly N and OO DC since boyhood with the inevitable gap for raising family etc., and for the first time in my life I have usable loft space in which to model. Only 10' x 10' (I speak only old money) but it's boarded out, insulated, has power, lights and heating - even a carpet. Access is via a fold down loft ladder which my wife refuses to climb (whoopee) so I've got my own little space and no disturbance or tampering fingers. Grandchildren are banned from climbing the ladder on Health and Safety grounds - even the grown up ones.

My present creation is OO DCC and is a fictitious branch line built by the Victorians to link the south Midlands with the South Coast hence the name 'Midlands and South Coast Railway Company' Run in the 50 - 60's era with mainly steam and early diesels, the branch runs from somewhere south of Leicester where it taps into LMS and LNER rails, through Didcot, picking up the GWR and onto somewhere round Blandford Forum where it joins the S&D onto Poole and Bournemouth having also tapped into SR rails as it does so. Therefore, as you can see, with this scenario I can run just about any traffic I wish as it doubles up as an emergency relief line for most of the big four.

My model depicts a terminus station at 'Hawkers Bridge' a Town that thinks it should be a City. During planning of the line the builders opted for a one platform halt type station to serve the town but, totally outraged, the townsfolk applied to Parliament for a further review and it was agreed that the town could have whatever they wished, but only at their own expense. Therefore, Hawkers Bridge Station (basically an OTT white elephant) was built. An application to have the branch double track up to their town was refused and the builders, not to be completely outdone, would only allow a one point connection between the station and the branch. Much to their relief, and after years and years of uneconomic operation, a bridge weight restriction was placed further down the branch which meant holiday specials had to terminate at Hawkers Bridge and be sub divided into smaller trains (2-3 coaches) for the continuing journey to the seaside. This is the period I model.

Vivid imagination or what? I've always had to have a reason for my layouts and this - like it or not, is the reasoning behind this one. The one thing it does which I believe to be most important with our hobby - it gives me a great deal of pleasure.

Glad to be aboard, I look forward to continuing my education and will, if I can, pass on any help from my modelling experience(s).

Mike

·
Premium Member
4,854 Posts
Hi Mike and welcome to the MRF from another wrinkly.

I'm into N Gauge steam (GWR) I'm afraid so may not be able to help much but if I can, I will and if I can't, there are plenty more here who can and will help wherever possible. I speak from personal experience.

That's some imagination you have. Your description almost sounds like the opening chapter of a book.

You seem to have set yourself up nicely in your loft though I didn't see any mention of a mini fridge up there to keep the beer in. Even less reasons to descend into reality and risk SWMBO collaring you to be 'domestic'.

Look forward to seeing your progress.

Expat.

·
Bog Snorkeller
987 Posts
Well, moving on a bit, I thought you might like to see my track plan.

It's in the loft and around 10' x 10'. The drawing is a little out of proportion with the left edge hidden lines taking up far less width than shown - making both the main topside running lines and the fiddle yard a lot longer than they appear here. That having been said and, having read my description above, I'll explain some of the detail to you.

Firstly, the viewable area is inside the red outline and all dotted lines are hidden from view. To allow me to see whats going on in the fiddle yard I have a web cam set up as shown. I can easily reach the trackwork in the fiddle yard for maintenance etc.
The purple line indicates the Midland and South Coast Railway Company branch with the remaining trackwork belonging to the Hawkers Bridge townsfolk.

All trackwork is laid with the exception of the Loco Complex which is under construction now that I've successfully 'bridged the gap' with the lift off section. You will notice, if you look carefully, I have a link-line into the back of the loco sheds which allows me to send engines from the fiddle yard to be turned on the turntable without the need to send them round the layout - it's a back door that you don't actually know is there, unless you're nosey.

With the advent of the bridge weight restriction further along the branch, it became necessary to install a turntable for trains arriving at the main station, however, due to lack of space this later (historically) addition had to be built on ground owned by British Waterways and required supported ground being obtained into the canal basin - you should be able to see the supporting pillars down the side of the TT. The turntable (yet to be purchased) is hopefully going to be a Heljan - so I'm saving my pennies.

The layout is DCC using an NCE 5amp PowerPro. Point work is a combination of Wire in Tube (WIT) throughout the station complex, peco motors in the fiddle yard and I'm thinking of using WIT's or maybe the Blue Point manual control for points in the loco. Powered point work is DC.
The centre road for the station pilot is a switchable programming track.
The station is provided with a scratchbuilt two road traverser.
A hidden DMU storage allows running up or down the branch as well as in and out of the main station at will.

Must press on........

Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.