Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back again, following receipt of a text from my freind who's bought the NCE power cab......

He has used various DCC controllers, and has been a bit of a tart with chips too. Now he's got the power cab, he says that locos fitted with Hornby chips (I know) are behaving erractically, and ztc chips won't "advance consist" - not a problem to bother me I think.

So, given that all NMRA compliant stuff should work with whatever controller/decoder combination, whats going on here, and are there any combinations of decoder/controller that work well - or not.

I'm just about to go DCC and have been watching my mate "experiment" on my behalf with interest. I am tempted by the NCE Power Cab, with the £13.95 ZTC 4007 Diamond decoder for prioce and ease of installation in my DCC ready stock, and decoder to be decided in non-dcc stock. Sounds reasonable ?

·
Ian Wigglesworth
750 Posts
The NCE PowerCab should work fine with any DECENT decoder!!

I have had no problems with mine and using ESU Loksound, TCS M1, Digitrax, Bachmann, CT Elektronic( this was used on a loco at Digitrains)

I would be very careful about the Hornby and some of the ZTC decoders, I've read reports that the code in the decoder on both types are cr...not very good!

If you want cheap simple decoders then the Bachmann 3 function ones run very well, I have a Bachmann DCC onboard loco, it runs very nicely even when very slow, I just don't know which one it is.
There again though when you read back the manufacturers id it's an ESU decoder anyway!!

HTH

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I kind of expected an answer like that !!!!!

I'm surprised about your views on the ZTC chips though, as i thought they were a good firm. Mind you, you do get what you pay for.

So you find the bachmann chips are fine.....will source a few of those then. but I might get a ztc one for my hornby 08, as I gather it is a bit tricky to do due to the small space. No lights or need to consist there......

·
Ian Wigglesworth
750 Posts
QUOTE (dieselweasel @ 13 Jan 2008, 16:44) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I kind of expected an answer like that !!!!!

I'm surprised about your views on the ZTC chips though, as i thought they were a good firm. Mind you, you do get what you pay for.

I've not use a ZTC decoder, just what I've read, they could be very good, for that money maybe worth a try.
Most of mine are TCS M1 chips they are very small and work faultlessly, the slow speed is excellent, it's even better now with the new BEMF TCS chips.

They do cost more though, the TCS M1 are £18 I think thats what I paid the last time can't remember now.

HTH

·
Registered
536 Posts
QUOTE So, given that all NMRA compliant stuff should work with whatever controller/decoder combination, whats going on here
Ah, but the Hornby offering curently isnt!!! Hence it wont work with some consoles whcih are compliant.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I suspected same !!! They work with a Select (I know) and the Roco Multi Maus,,,,but not the Power cab !

Can anyone devise a "grid" showing the various chips vs controllers, and show what does and doesn't get on ? A big ask I know, but we have more than a few people on here.....

.....and I'm glad I'm not learning all this the hard (and expensive!) way.....

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
For me, the best "value" decoder by miles is the TCS T1. Its the same as the M1 only slightly bigger in both size and current handling. So far I have fitted them to over 20 OO locos and oonly one has needed me to resort to an M1. Last time I checked they were about £12-13. Can't fault them. THey are better than some decoders that are twice their price.

Rob

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (dieselweasel @ 13 Jan 2008, 18:45) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Can anyone devise a "grid" showing the various chips vs controllers, and show what does and doesn't get on ? A big ask I know, but we have more than a few

Don't think that will be practical at all - would take a lot of time for someone to do & then if the table shows that controller "P" will work with decoder "D" & controller "L" will not work with decoder "H" at least one member will disagree & the thread (& possibly the odd decoder) will end up in flames !

The best bet is to "trawl" the DCC threads & form your own conclusions.

·
Registered
827 Posts
QUOTE (dieselweasel @ 13 Jan 2008, 16:02) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Back again, following receipt of a text from my freind who's bought the NCE power cab......

He has used various DCC controllers, and has been a bit of a tart with chips too. Now he's got the power cab, he says that locos fitted with Hornby chips (I know) are behaving erractically, and ztc chips won't "advance consist" - not a problem to bother me I think.

So, given that all NMRA compliant stuff should work with whatever controller/decoder combination, whats going on here, and are there any combinations of decoder/controller that work well - or not.
At the basic level (speed/direction control and some functions), all DCC modules should inter-operate.

Advanced consisting is an optional decoder feature in which the consist address is set by a CV in all the decoders in the consist. Decoders that have it will work with any command station. It's completely transparent to the command station and only requires that the consist address be selected on the throttle.

The other form of consisting relies upon it being built into the command station. The command station sends individual commands to all of the decoder addresses in the consist. Any decoder will work in this mode since each decoder receives commands at it's normal address.

Andrew Crosland

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (dieselweasel @ 14 Jan 2008, 01:02) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'm just about to go DCC and have been watching my mate "experiment" on my behalf with interest. I am tempted by the NCE Power Cab, with the £13.95 ZTC 4007 Diamond decoder for prioce and ease of installation in my DCC ready stock, and decoder to be decided in non-dcc stock. Sounds reasonable ?

If you like the PowerCab and want to keep it simple and get the best of all worlds with Zero hassle,

(1) buy the powerCab
(2) always remove the capacitors from every loco withit exception
(3) standardise on the TCS MC-2 decoder. It is very small and has a more than 1 amp motor drive too. If you want to save a pound or so use the TCS T-1 where it will fit (its standard sized)

Both decoders are fully insulated so no need for sleeves or insulation tape.

Their functions use 250mA MOSfets so will drive a higher current smoke unit with no problem, they have a good-proof warranty so if you make an error they still gets replaced free of charge, and both (all new Back EMF TCS decoders) have superb slow running with about the best Back EMF I've seen.

They are available with and without 8 pin plug, and the "UK" harness they offer is prefectly aligned for almost every UK DCC ready loco.

They are both excellently priced and amazing value.

So... to also address your comments second part too - Steer clear of Hornby and ZTC decoders

Its that simple

Richard
DCCconcepts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Richard, Im tenidng to agree with your standardisation option. Ive found so far that the MC2 fits into the smaller spaces in my non-DCC ready stock and performs really well. I got 3x Bachman chips and have used them in diesels where size has not been an issue.

Any thoughts on what to use for a trial run on the old Triany X04- Im anticipating a bigger current draw compared to the modern motors. Do you think the TCS chips will handle it under their 2 Amp cut out level?

Im really enjoying my Dynamis by the way.

Dave

QUOTE (Richard Johnson @ 14 Jan 2008, 11:55) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>If you like the PowerCab and want to keep it simple and get the best of all worlds with Zero hassle,

(1) buy the powerCab
(2) always remove the capacitors from every loco withit exception
(3) standardise on the TCS MC-2 decoder. It is very small and has a more than 1 amp motor drive too. If you want to save a pound or so use the TCS T-1 where it will fit (its standard sized)

Both decoders are fully insulated so no need for sleeves or insulation tape.

Their functions use 250mA MOSfets so will drive a higher current smoke unit with no problem, they have a good-proof warranty so if you make an error they still gets replaced free of charge, and both (all new Back EMF TCS decoders) have superb slow running with about the best Back EMF I've seen.

They are available with and without 8 pin plug, and the "UK" harness they offer is prefectly aligned for almost every UK DCC ready loco.

They are both excellently priced and amazing value.

So... to also address your comments second part too - Steer clear of Hornby and ZTC decoders

Its that simple

Richard
DCCconcepts

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (dieselweasel @ 16 Jan 2008, 23:02) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Very interesting - consider myself warned.

So what are people managing to fit into a Hornby 08 then ?

Try an MC-2 or an M1 - The M1 will fit dead easy, and the MC2 shouldn't be all that tight!

BTW - Watty - try the T1 if it'll fit, the MC2 if it won't - both will take the XO-4 no problem (BTW if the later loc's U are chipping have a socket, then order the decoders with the UK harness - ie MC2-UK, T1-UK... the plug is oriented lengthwise so it sits really well in the loco.

Richard
DCCconcepts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you Richard - you're up late (or early) - or is it me ??!!!!

The Hornby 08 was the only model of mine that I had space worries about. I'm hearing and reading good things about the TCS chips so will see if my intended DCC controller supplier will give me a bulk discount !!!

I've realised that there are many forums on here where i could (do, according to my wife) lose an awful lot of time, and having visited a few of them, it seems that ZTC seem to be a bit "individual", but not quite so as the Hornby system.

Are the rest of the decoders of similar "compatibility", if not quality/number of functions - eg Lenz/Zimo/Bachmann/NCE etc, or are there other who need to be treated with care ?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts