Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back again, following receipt of a text from my freind who's bought the NCE power cab......

He has used various DCC controllers, and has been a bit of a tart with chips too. Now he's got the power cab, he says that locos fitted with Hornby chips (I know) are behaving erractically, and ztc chips won't "advance consist" - not a problem to bother me I think.

So, given that all NMRA compliant stuff should work with whatever controller/decoder combination, whats going on here, and are there any combinations of decoder/controller that work well - or not.

I'm just about to go DCC and have been watching my mate "experiment" on my behalf with interest. I am tempted by the NCE Power Cab, with the £13.95 ZTC 4007 Diamond decoder for prioce and ease of installation in my DCC ready stock, and decoder to be decided in non-dcc stock. Sounds reasonable ?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I kind of expected an answer like that !!!!!

I'm surprised about your views on the ZTC chips though, as i thought they were a good firm. Mind you, you do get what you pay for.

So you find the bachmann chips are fine.....will source a few of those then. but I might get a ztc one for my hornby 08, as I gather it is a bit tricky to do due to the small space. No lights or need to consist there......

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I suspected same !!! They work with a Select (I know) and the Roco Multi Maus,,,,but not the Power cab !

Can anyone devise a "grid" showing the various chips vs controllers, and show what does and doesn't get on ? A big ask I know, but we have more than a few people on here.....

.....and I'm glad I'm not learning all this the hard (and expensive!) way.....

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you Richard - you're up late (or early) - or is it me ??!!!!

The Hornby 08 was the only model of mine that I had space worries about. I'm hearing and reading good things about the TCS chips so will see if my intended DCC controller supplier will give me a bulk discount !!!

I've realised that there are many forums on here where i could (do, according to my wife) lose an awful lot of time, and having visited a few of them, it seems that ZTC seem to be a bit "individual", but not quite so as the Hornby system.

Are the rest of the decoders of similar "compatibility", if not quality/number of functions - eg Lenz/Zimo/Bachmann/NCE etc, or are there other who need to be treated with care ?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.