Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi,

Just thought I'd run this past you!

I bought a batch of five 36-553 (4 digit address) Bachmann decoders from a UK based model shop via mail order. One went bad, so I sent it to Bachmann service in it's original box and looking as new. I could not find the receipt, so I sent it anyway with a covering letter. I then found the receipt and sent it to them 2 days latter.

A week latter I got a replacement 36-553 decoder. It had no box, no instructions. I fitted it to a loco and set it up with a 4 digit number. Guess what, it was an old 2 digit decoder! and on top of this, they did not return the receipt I sent to them covering the other 4 decoders I bought at the same time. So I can't send in any of the others if they go wrong!

I sent an Email to Bachmann asking why they had sent me an old decoder, why it was not boxed and why they did not return my original receipt. Nothing! no reply at all. They have always responded to my mails before.

How's that for service?

I'm glad I got that off my chest

Rob.

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
Bit of bad luck then but then I would have returned it to the shop you purchased them from & then the receipt- just send a copy - not the original.
Hope you do hear from Bachmann soon.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
You don't actually need a receipt, just proof of purchase. Maybe from a bank or credit card statement which has the relevant details. You should always go to the original retailer first for remedies and as Ron says, send copies, not originals.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You make me feel like this is my fault and I basically asked for this to happen?

Surly it's not unreasonable to return it the manufacture under there guarantee?

Should Bachmann at the very least answered my Email and returned my receipt?

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
QUOTE (rbush @ 27 Feb 2009, 00:18) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>You make me feel like this is my fault and I basically asked for this to happen?

Surly it's not unreasonable to return it the manufacture under there guarantee?

Should Bachmann at the very least answered my Email and returned my receipt?

No. not your fault but I thought it was common knowledge that any faulty goods within the warranty/guarantee period is always returned to the retailer from where you purchased the goods. It is then up to the retailer to do the claiming, etc.

Yes, Bachmann should answer your e-mail - when did you send it? You may have to give them a few days.
Did you send it with a return receipt so you was advised when they read your e-mail?

·
Registered
45 Posts
The instructions say to return to Bachmann for Service, this is what I did. I also rang them, they said nothing about sending back to the shop.

I sent them an Email a week ago via there Web site. Before when I've sent the mail's (over the last few months) I get a reply within two days.

·
Registered
136 Posts
QUOTE (rbush @ 26 Feb 2009, 14:33) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The instructions say to return to Bachmann for Service, this is what I did. I also rang them, they said nothing about sending back to the shop.

It is the Sale of Goods Act that says that it is the retailers responsibility as that is who you had your contract to buy with. The retailer then has a contract with their supplier.

http://www.berr.gov.uk/whatwedo/consumers/.../page38311.html

Mike

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh well, it's all my fault then. I should have know all about the sale of goods act and Bachmann were well within there rights to give me an old decoder and keep my receipt.

Next time something goes wrong I'll not read the instructions and just give it back to the shop.

Thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I would give the sevice department at Bachmann a ring, the direct line number is 01455 847097. I`ve not had any big problems with them, sometimes they are very busy and communication breaks down. If you make a request on the web form the auto reply gives you a reference number, quoting that on the phone usually means they can see the history of the service request very quickly.

I should add that Bachmann have been understanding with me when I`ve said I`d rather the service department sort something out rather than the retailer. The big box shifters do not (and will not) test run locos before dispatch so if you are unlucky it could take you a few attempts to get a good one, and you pay the return postage. I will only buy Bachmann locos from a model shop where I can see them running first. I`ve never had a problem with Hornby but after seeing the posts about the T9 I`m beginning to worry!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Funny enough I got a reply an hour ago from Bachmann

I wonder why

I found out the decoder was an old 2 digit item after I 'had hard' wired it into one of there older, non DCC loco's. They told me there was nothing more they could do because I had now 'damaged' it. I suppose this is true in a warped sort of way. I sent them a return Email asking why they felt it was OK to send me an old decoder in the first place and why I've not been given my receipt back. No reply.

I'll not be using Bachmann service again, and infact, I'll go one step further, I don't think I'll bother looking at Bachmann products in the future if this is the way they treat there customers.

I never really did expect them to replace the decoder after I had fitted it, but an apology would have been nice. There are plenty of good decoders out there, I'll buy them next time.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Without wishing to get off topic here........... The question arises as to what the word "faulty" means. There has been much debate on this and other forums as to whether a Hornby T9 with some or all of the faults described by posters is actually "fit for purpose". What if it doesn`t run very well? How about if it will only pull two coaches? Suppose there are bits missing or bits that fall off when it`s unpacked? How about if there are minor blemishes in the paint job, ones you can see with a magnifying glass? What precisely can one expect with a model locomotive? If the wheels go round and it moves along when you put it on the track and apply power then that`s OK isn`t it? Some are noisy, some won`t pull anything, some don`t have the correct number of rivets, some don`t "look right" apparently.

I agree with a decoder it`s obvious...or is it?

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Romseyles, your questions are answered in the Sale of Goods link given above by Mike Bellamy.

·
Registered
45 Posts
It was plugged in and run for a few lengths of track, then the loco got simply knocked onto it's side while stationary, nothing more, totally no damage to the locomotive in any way, not even a small paint scratch. After this the decoder totally stopped working.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Poliss, thanks for pointing out the useful link, I had failed to read it before diving in.

Some on other forums and I think on here have debated this issue and some have made the point that the " what any reasonable person might regard as satisfactory, given the price and any decription" test can be applied in different ways. Certainly there have been disagreements about the Hornby T9.

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
I would have expected a like for like replacment decoder from Bachmann ... rbush as you say '' I'll not be using Bachmann service again, and infact, I'll go one step further, I don't think I'll bother looking at Bachmann products in the future if this is the way they treat there customers.'' ..... this is your choice ........... a better option for decoders is TCS offering a warrenty on their decoders and good efficient customer service.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the 'heads up' on the TCS decoders Upnick

I've been buying Lenz in the last week rather than Bachmann.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I had a look at the TCS one year warranty. It says, 'We will repair/replace the decoder even if you accidentally damage it.'
Sounds great to me. They also have lots of decoder fitting guides on their website. :)
No, I don't work for them, nor do I have any of their decoders......yet.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (poliss @ 27 Feb 2009, 11:33) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I had a look at the TCS one year warranty. It says, 'We will repair/replace the decoder even if you accidentally damage it.'
Sounds great to me. They also have lots of decoder fitting guides on their website. :)
No, I don't work for them, nor do I have any of their decoders......yet.
It does sound good but getting it to work in practise is another thing. I've been waiting between 8 and 10 months for a replacement. Yes, I have followed it up; more than once.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts