Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
Hi All,

Here is my new venture into HO ........ differing only in scale from Morganth as it is to be set in America a simple plan in essence but i intend to alter some of the areas in the middle the water may go but the bridges stop to add a second level aspect, as to a second level for the tracks i am undecided as yet dependant on the buildings i choose to include, the locos having room to turn around allowing switching operations inside the circuit.

As the plan is now it measures 12ft X 4ft ........ but will be 13ft X 3ft when finished.

Built in 4 modules making it easy to transport in the future one section hinged to allow access to the window which should provide good light over it especially in the summer evenings
Code 83 peco track with an NCE powercab should provide good control.

The silos could move to the rear of the layout along the back track to add more interest there one of my first thoughts of adaptations

The layout plan will turn around to fit in as below.

Latest loco to be converted to DCC Athearn BB GP50 weathered up soon to run on NOVAVILLE

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
QUOTE (Expat @ 13 Feb 2009, 06:07) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Nick.

Looks a good concept though those curves at the ends will be awfully tight (about 15" radius at a guess) if you cut it down to only 3 ft wide.

Hi Trevor,

After Measure up last night lessening the width is too tight for the six axle diesels and so 40'' wide will work comfortably the track being at the edge of the boards with a narrow border ...... anymore and i cant fit in the width of the board in the room ......... this weekend i am about to start on the guard rails for the bridge on Morganth think i have found an economical way to model them
keep you updated.

·
Premium Member
2,578 Posts
Im thinking this is a trackplan as featured in Model Railroader article about building sectioal baseboards!!!
What changes are you going to make?

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
QUOTE (wolverton bloomer @ 13 Feb 2009, 10:22) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Im thinking this is a trackplan as featured in Model Railroader article about building sectioal baseboards!!!
What changes are you going to make?

Yes it is a plan from MR one i am happy with .......... to do after searching for something on the internet ........... the first change was to reduce the width of the plan 8'' to fit in with my room though giving it a foot longer will stretch it out somewhat ....... already i am looking at moving the silos to the rear of the board and another track there for in/out operations, installation of magnets in the board will allow easier hands off coupling/uncoupling ........ got my eye on a bridge on ebay with the correct guard rail track.

One of the yards could be elevated in the centre ... lots of planning to do as yet awaiting my timber delivery this afternoon ..... and off to buy the track tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE (frame69 @ 13 Feb 2009, 12:26) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Your a busy man Nick!

Your right Frame
i could do with 48 hour days

·
Premium Member
2,578 Posts
QUOTE (upnick @ 13 Feb 2009, 12:49) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Your right Frame
i could do with 48 hour days

Couldnt we all!

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
Hi All,

While trying out the end curves for continous running i couldnt resist putting on my only British diesel 37419 weathered the buffer beam detailed with plows and fitted with a Lenz decoder, the camera makes the lights glare on the picture.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Hi Nick,

Correct me if I am wrong. You are dwelling with Morganth ...and now this?
Boy I am jealous..of the space and time you have.
Good luck and don't leave us without photo's.

Baykal

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
QUOTE (ebaykal @ 14 Feb 2009, 07:35) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Nick,

Correct me if I am wrong. You are dwelling with Morganth ...and now this?
Boy I am jealous..of the space and time you have.
Good luck and don't leave us without photo's.

Baykal

Hi Erkut,

Morganth is my #1 layout and always will be , but having several HO locos i wanted to run them and create a layout ...... the space issue means i sleep between two layouts really and things could change with the width dimensions overall of Novahill yet ......... watch this space
Oh i have the camera at the ready at all times rest assured

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
Hi All,

I said earlier watch this space for progress on Novahill .......
i have scrapped my original plans .... so here is the new look ......

After wrestling with the tape measure for two days to fit in the plan to my room mixed with a combination of keeping it a useable room the width isnt going to work out ......and so out with the Jigsaw and now the boards measure 40'' long X 2ft wide 5 modules will make up a switching layout ....... a short L shape yard with warehouse.

The link the plan is here ...........

http://andrews-trains.fotopic.net/p15477428.html ..... the bottom left hand roads will bend around the corner to add interest with a warehouse.
I will try to draw up a plan later to show how the roads should fit in.

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
QUOTE (neil_s_wood @ 14 Feb 2009, 21:37) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Wow, this looks good Nick. I wish I had all that space. Look forward to seeing this develop.

I am looking forward to it taking shape Neil .....

This afternoon i got the code 83 flexitrack and points ......and finished the first three boards construction apart from the legs.

While purchasing the track a Walthers Centennial Mills background building proved a good purchase as Walthers include a back wall which is not needed with plenty of spare windows ........ with this in mind i extended the building to double its length with some plasticard for the roof i will cover with fine sand once it is in place.

The basic walls intended to be used.

Spare backwall and windows.

Double length mock up.

Assembled 60 Thou plasticard strip to join both walls.

White Plasticard replacement roof 80 thou to give some structural strength .

Walls complete ........ a little filler to the main wall joint sanding and the addition of a longer loading dock /ladders and fittings will result in the mill giving more value for money from the kit.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Thats a fair size building Nick.I need some large structures for my layout as its quite flat at present.That one you got looks good,I may get some industrial units for mine.

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
Hi Frame,

Yes i like the background buildings from Walthers .... as built up there it comes out at 20'' L X 2'' W X 81/2'' H.

Later i'm adding a plasticard strip the width of it half way down on the inside covered in foil the same as the roof & lighting throughout.

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi All,

Last day today i can really spend time on the layout ......back to work on Tuesday :mad: ...lol

I didnt waste time though with my latest Walthers background building Tomaso's Market 6'' H x 4 1/8 W x 2 3/8 D a superb kit as usual from Walthers ...... when adding the window linings i cut two top liners from 30 thou plasticard and another end liner for the left side to add to the kit parts.
80 thou floors were put in for a few reasons a little more strenth .... interior details can be added at a later date and they provide a surface to attach the LED's to for lighting.
I am hoping to source some 1:87 items for the window displays before fitting plasticard backs to them.

Extra plastic strips were added to give the impression of half open windows.

A roundhouse D&H 50' gondola in kit form recieved a resin scrap load originally designed for 52's two 80 thou plasticard spacer inde the gondola provided a false floor for the load to sit on .kadee #5 couplers fitted
Plenty of rust powders and paint will make it a good addition to the stock.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Hi Nick,hows your project going? No posts for a while...I've made some good progress on my harbour,decided to have a sunken line going to a fabrication shop to serve the boats,trains and local plant owners so im busy designing the 'metal shop'.You must be busy at work!!

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
QUOTE (frame69 @ 21 Feb 2009, 22:54) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Nick,hows your project going? No posts for a while...I've made some good progress on my harbour,decided to have a sunken line going to a fabrication shop to serve the boats,trains and local plant owners so im busy designing the 'metal shop'.You must be busy at work!!

Hi Frame,

Novahill is coming on this week i got the first module track down and wired up ....... tomorrow i am going to make a concerted effort to add the legs (all cut and ready to go) to the modules and set them up as the next track has to be laid to follow on.
Your plans sound superb cant wait to see some pics ......... the sunken line is a good idea to which could feed several facilities.

You are right back to work not a lot gets done on the layouts ....... wed/thursday i'm home ....... so hopefully i can progress more.

Morganth is coming on as well and more pics should be on soon as have been putting the water in gradually and allowing several days drying between layers

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi All,

Three of the boards went up on Sunday and i carried on laying track over the last two days to get it up and running and get more idea how things will look planning buildings, a scrap dealer of some kind is in mind.
Back boards will be added once building heights have been established.

Here are a few pics with some stock.

First two boards with track down.

One i weathered this week needing some rust streaking

Bought from ebay weathered

AC4400 Athearn S.P. dummy loco patched for U.P. needs grab irons and rails finishing off.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts