Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi

I have just joined the forum a few days ago. Was always fascinated by trains but never took it up as a hobby. Last year my wife bought me the Hornby DCC Venice Simplon Set, after I had oogled at model trains in a toy shop (nice of her innit!!). I played with it for about a month but I was sent off on an assignment for 4 months and my set was packed away.

This year I had an option of choosing what I wanted for my birthday, so I decided to expand. In short I am 6 locos heavier and about 600 pounds lighter.

I am basically trying out different things. I was gifted OO gauge but have bought two HO Locos as well. Maybe I would settle into one of them or perhaps keep both...must say I am really tempted by continental stuff.

So currently I have the following:

OO
Hornby - Venice Simplon DCC Set
Hornby - Mallard 70th Anniversary limited edition
Hornby - Mixed goods set, BR 0-6-0 Class 08 diesel shunter, BR 0-6-0T Class 3F 'Jinty,
Bachmann - Class 37, coal sector with DCC sound

HO
Trix - BR185 with DCC
Roco - RE 460 Thales with hornby chip

I am amazed at the knowledge contained in this forum and have already gained a lot.

I look forward to interacting and contributing wherever I can.

Cheers

Railquest

·
DT
4,794 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum.

You have some nice locos there. I bet you love everyone of them - perhaps in a different way, but each has something special.

I can empathise with you as I have the same problem. Where do you go and what sort of layout do all these varied trains go on. My solution is to run a layout that can be British one day and German or French the next. I can even uproot some buildings and switch from cosy French Alpine stations to cute cottage style English buildings.

I concentrate on British Steam, but I'm willing to test anything that I think that I may like.

·
Premium Member
4,854 Posts
Hi Railquest and welcome to the MRF.

I'm strictly into GWR N Gauge myself so would not dare to offer advice on the pros and cons of 00 versus H0. I have no doubt, however, that someone will be along shortly who is far more knowledgable on the subject than I am.

I see, however, that you have the Hornby Simplon DCC set but am not sure if this includes a controller or not. If you are looking for advice and reviews of the various controllers available you will find a separate sub-section for this within the DCC section.

If you need any other help and/or advice at any time just put your question up in the relevant section and you are bound to get plenty of sound, constructive advice. We're a pretty friendly bunch so just ask away.

Enjoy your modelling.

Expat.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE (Doug @ 12 Sep 2008, 16:07) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi and welcome to the forum.

You have some nice locos there. I bet you love everyone of them - perhaps in a different way, but each has something special.

I can empathise with you as I have the same problem. Where do you go and what sort of layout do all these varied trains go on. My solution is to run a layout that can be British one day and German or French the next. I can even uproot some buildings and switch from cosy French Alpine stations to cute cottage style English buildings.

I concentrate on British Steam, but I'm willing to test anything that I think that I may like.

Thanks for your advice...I was thinking of doing the same thing with regards to the layout.

Railquest

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (Expat @ 12 Sep 2008, 16:12) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Railquest and welcome to the MRF.

I'm strictly into GWR N Gauge myself so would not dare to offer advice on the pros and cons of 00 versus H0. I have no doubt, however, that someone will be along shortly who is far more knowledgable on the subject than I am.

I see, however, that you have the Hornby Simplon DCC set but am not sure if this includes a controller or not. If you are looking for advice and reviews of the various controllers available you will find a separate sub-section for this within the DCC section.

If you need any other help and/or advice at any time just put your question up in the relevant section and you are bound to get plenty of sound, constructive advice. We're a pretty friendly bunch so just ask away.

Enjoy your modelling.

Expat.
Thanks for your post

I did get a select controler as part of that set, but I have come to know that it is quite basic. Plus I am having trouble programming my Trix BR185, does not accept new address or any of the basic stuff. Still someway to go before I upgrade to an advanced DCC system, just gathering knowledge at the moment.

Railquest

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Hi Railquest and welcome to MRF. You seem to have acquired a fairly eclectic stud so far. Hope you enjoy your visits.

Regards

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (railquest @ 12 Sep 2008, 15:46) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Plus I am having trouble programming my Trix BR185, does not accept new address or any of the basic stuff. Still someway to go before I upgrade to an advanced DCC system, just gathering knowledge at the moment.

Railquest

Hi & welcome to MRF - the decoder in the 185 is probably the built in one on the PCB - not a bad decoder all the same - it should take an address change easily but it may have an issue with the Select (see other threads regarding this "controller").

Personally, I would change the decoder in the 460 when you can.

Enjoy the forum.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts