Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
DT
4,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

The National Railway Museum (NRM) and Bachmann Europe Plc are offering modellers a helping hand during the credit crunch by offering them the chance to buy the latest limited edition boxed set model in the NRM-branded series in instalments.

Following the storming success of the Prototype Deltic model, the D9002 is the next Deltic in the series. It is currently on sale as part of a limited edition boxed set, where it is paired with its predecessor in the range, the French blue Deltic Prototype 'OO' gauge working model. The duo are presented in a wooden box with a Deltic Prototype pin badge, and if fans order before 31 March, a pewter KOYLI nameplate worth £44 will also be included free of charge.

The two-tone BR green D9002 has never been commercially available before and the model captures the locomotive during an early time in its fascinating history. The latest edition is modelled in "as delivered" condition -without nameplates and without a yellow warning panel.

D9002 was delivered to the Eastern Region in 1961 and entered traffic on 9 March that year. It was named 'The King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry' on 4 April 1963 by the Colonel of the Regiment, Lieutenant General Sir Roger H. Bower during a ceremony at York Station. The locomotive was withdrawn as 55002 from traffic by British Rail on 2 January 1982 and preserved by the National Railway Museum as part of the National Collection.

The models are offered as a paired set because D9002 and the Prototype Deltic were both operating in 1961. Collectors can buy the set in two instalments - the beautiful wooden box, foam insert, Prototype Deltic model and enamel pin badge costs £195 + P&P, and the D9002 KOYLI working model and numbered certificate will then available from the end of March 2009 at just £60 + P&P on receipt of a special code. This pricing will be on offer until 31 July 2009.

Tish Bolton, Project Manager at the NRM, explained:

"Both locomotives are popular exhibits in the National Collection and we felt they would prove equally popular with collectors and modellers.

"Hopefully the decision to offer the chance to purchase the model in two stages will prove popular, given the current financial climate. In addition we are able to offer a number of stock in the National Railway Museum's shop. Every purchase will support the NRM in its vital work in preserving the National Collection.

"We are really pleased to have produced another quality product through our partnership with Bachmann and we hope the D9002 will match the success of the limited edition DP1 which sold out in just nine days."

Would-be owners of the boxed set should call 01904 685 730 or visit www.nrmstore.com.

Also: There will be a feature about the D9002 in this month's Model Rail magazine and the chance to win a boxed set!

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (**** b @ 16 Feb 2009, 18:15) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I wonder ???? credit crunch or simply not selling /lack of interest ??????

The cynical side of me say's that it's more a question of hoovering up as much of the little money available in the modellers pockets & maybe not ending up with two loco sets unsold.

·
DT
4,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice box - I don't understand why anyone would want to buy a box with an electric toy train inside.

I haven't used my Prototype Deltic box since it arrived - thank goodness is was only a carton one. The stand is wasted though as this loco hasn't left my track. It still runs very well. One of my best locos, only bettered in pulling power by a consisted pair of Bachmann Class 20s.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Strange you should mention a box Neil, I purchased one of the 'ltd ed' pre Christmas Delts in a wooden box with badge etc and it is pants quality, does not even come close to the earlier Bachmann wooden boxes. Really dismal quality for the £200 + price charged for the priveledge of a Ltd Ed from NRM.

This one actually (IMO) makes good value sense compared to the third stand alone one of which I bought for £220 or thereabouts.

Charley

·
Registered
182 Posts
I'm failing to see where the 'installmets' come in to play here.

I mean, one installment of over £200 including p&p is hardly going to help much is it?
If you happen to have £200 floating around, you can probably find the other £60 for KOYLI fairly easily and thus save the double p&p charge.

Me, I'm just glad I got the second run Deltic in a standard Bachmann box with an enamel badge, £110 was quite nough thank you.

Regards
Ashley

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (Doug @ 17 Feb 2009, 19:10) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Nice box - I don't understand why anyone would want to buy a box with an electric toy train inside.

I haven't used my Prototype Deltic box since it arrived - thank goodness is was only a carton one. The stand is wasted though as this loco hasn't left my track. It still runs very well. One of my best locos, only bettered in pulling power by a consisted pair of Bachmann Class 20s.
I've had a couple of these, Trix Big Boy and Bachmann Empire of India and really do not see the point. The box is nice but what are you supposed to do with it? Bring it our after dinner and pass it round the table with the port?

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Nice idea for those who don't already have DP1. I quite like the Deltic's in original form, with no name and no yellow nose.
However, is the model of D9002 going to use the existing tooling or will it be back dated so the body sides are correct for D9002. The current Bachmann tooling includes the extra side grills that were added in the mid 60's. If they want to charge a premium price they should make sure the detail is right. If you look at the two photo's of the model, neither gives a clear view of the body side of D9002.
As for the wooden case, it should be sold as an optional extra and the price of the model reduced accordingly. This would satisfy both camps, the collectors can purchase the fancy box and modellers can get a cheaper loco to run on their layouts.
Alas, I don't think this will happen as the NRM would be stuck with a lot of boxes they wouldn't know what to do with!!!!

PS
I would have thought a better way to go for the NRM, would be to produce DP2. They are already 75% of the way there. They have a chassis and the basic shape is the same as the production Deltic's, all they need to do is tool up the body with the correct grill work. They also have a choice of two liveries as well.

·
Premium Member
2,578 Posts
Ive recieved mine and its fantastic. Koyli will arrive in march but in the meantime Durham Light Infantry lives in the box with DP1, I also got the name plate. A 10th anniverasry pressie from the missus! Ta Darhlin'
Deltic had a go on the club layout on Monday night and was pulling 8 carriges no problem, even up the inclines!

·
Registered
8 Posts
regarding the new limited edition deltics.koyli will be as the original bachmann deltic release, 1965 body,with side grills.

therefore will be incorrect for a 1961 deltic

·
Registered
115 Posts
Seems to me that the NRM are trying to get more mileage out of the existing "Prototype Deltic" (as it cannot be offered in another livery version like, say, the Heljan "Falcon"). It is a shame if the reports are correct and D9002 has the bodyside grills (the existing Bachmann Deltic tooling) as it makes a mockery of being a "special edition" which, to my mind, should remain faithful to the original in all aspects!

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
QUOTE (Keith Underwood @ 28 Feb 2009, 08:56) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>as it makes a mockery of being a "special edition" which, to my mind, should remain faithful to the original in all aspects!

I agree with you entirely Keith.

Kind regards

Paul

1 - 13 of 13 Posts