Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi peeps.

I was told about a week ago about a do that is taking place at the NRM where the 4 remaining A4 class locomotives in Gt. Britain are getting together at the NRM.

And I was shocked to find that they are going to charge £32.50 to be able to get into the area where they will be stabled.
Not only that you can also buy tickets for over a ton so you can have a meal and some home made fudge...

Now come on is it me or does this stink a little of being a total ripoff. I mean a friend is going to Long Marston for a last hurrah for the class 87's this weekend and he has said it is only costing 15.00 to get in and not only that there will be other locos about to view.

I know the 87's aren't on the same level as the beautiful A4's but surely they could have dropped the price a little so that the mere mortal and normal enthusiast could also behold the majesty of them all in the same place at the same time.

Right that is my winge and I shall now get off my soapbox.

I would appreciate any comments or thoughts from the rest of you about this.

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
Will the A4s be in steam? Apart from the cost of getting the things to the site, I can't think why else it would be so expensive.

Then again compared to the cost of going to a football match is it that far out of line for a "fan related" event?

David

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok this is what is said on the NRM site.

Secure your place in history at this once in a lifetime event. Take a unique photograph of the four A4's, who are coming together for a special event to celebrate the 70th anniversary of Mallard's world steam record on 3 July 1938. There will also be a one-off chance to dine with the locomotives on the evening of Saturday 5 July, including unique cab access and additional photographic opportunities.

There are only six A4 locomotives remaining in the world - four in the UK, one in the USA and one in Canada - and it's possible that the four may never come together again making this a once in a lifetime opportunity. You'll be able to join in the atmosphere and buzz of this unforgettable experience and have the opportunity to take plenty of photographs of the four locomotives lined up together. There will be raised platforms for a choice of angles and clear views; you will also receive a commemorative souvenir brochure of the four locomotives.

For the first time in approximately twenty years three of the A4 locomotives will be together throughout both days but they will be joined by the fourth locomotive during the afternoons. The fourth locomotive will be hauling 'The Coronation' - a unique return trip between London and Edinburgh run by Steam Dreams to celebrate the 70th anniversary of Mallard's record-breaking achievement on 3 July 1938. The fourth locomotive will steam into the National Railway Museum to join the other locomotives in a unique line-up and photo opportunity opportunity for ticket holders.

With regret we have had to limit numbers to this momentous event in order to maximize photographic opportunities.

So by the looks of it only 1 of the locos will be in steam.

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Mmmm..... Union of South Africa was supposed to call in at the NRM last weekend but was stuck at Berwick having run hot (most unusual for this loco) which shows how easily the whole thing could go phut! It is likely that No. 7, No. 9 and No. 19 would all be in steam, even if only light steam - it's much better to keep 'em ticking over between duties.

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
In todays market, I really don't think £32.50 is a rip off. It cost me £72 to fill my car with diesel yesterday, I bought coldplay tickets at £45 a ticket last week and my Northern Ireland season ticket works out at around £30-£35 a game. Everything is relative!

Rob

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (80class @ 5 Jun 2008, 07:30) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>In todays market, I really don't think £32.50 is a rip off. It cost me £72 to fill my car with diesel yesterday, I bought coldplay tickets at £45 a ticket last week and my Northern Ireland season ticket works out at around £30-£35 a game. Everything is relative!

Rob
That's true. I guess it's also possible that there is a charitable aspect to this and some money may be put into maintenance of the locos.

·
In depth idiot
7,677 Posts
QUOTE (neil_s_wood @ 4 Jun 2008, 22:47) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>That's true. I guess it's also possible that there is a charitable aspect to this and some money may be put into maintenance of the locos.
It's a fund raiser with a divvy-up of the proceeds going to the organisations involved: the NRM and the various A4 operators. The price doesn't strike me as outrageous; as observed above it is on the same scale as popular pursuits such as adding to the bank balances of vastly overpaid football kickers, or pushing up the value of brewery shares. But this one supports the preservation of some very interesting industrial history...

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
One has to remember that light engine movements on the main line cost thousands of pounds because a loco and support coach is considered a "train" rather than a light engine (which incurs a nil charge). The engine owners are haggling with Network Rail for these charges to be dropped but in the meantime staging an event such as the A4 reunion is bound to get costly. Thank God we had some rain in the north - after the "bridge burning" incident on the Cumbrian Coast line last month it looked like a summer steam ban (due to fire risk) was going to be enforced on some routes.....

·
Registered
122 Posts
While to some of you it is not a rip-off, to the likes of me, that amount of money is dammed hard to find on our income. Not everybody gets high income and can even afford to go to watch so-called football matches these days, never mind the chance to get some shots of 4 A4's and as much as I would Love to go.

·
garage hobbit&#33;&#33;&#33;
1,715 Posts
So by the looks of it only 1 of the locos will be in steam.
[/quote]

All 3 steamable A4s' will be in steam over the 2 days as 'The Coronation' is a 2 days excusion. Saturday will see '7 heading up from The Cross to York, stop off for the gathering, then '9 taking the helm up to Edinburgh

On the sunday, '9 will return from Edinburgh, stop again at York then '19 will take the train back to The Cross

The rail tour also celebrates the aniversary of the first non-stop run from Kings Cross to Edinburgh in May 1928 of the revamped 'Flying Scotman' service using Gresleys' new corridor tenders, the train name aniversary unforunatly does not coinside as it began in 1937 and was stopped with the out break of WWII in 1939 so maybe next year we could have a celebration for its end with '9 repainted into Executive Garter Blue with valances restored (i think Bitten still has some from when she maskeraded as Silver Fox back in the '80s) and if we wish hard enough, the RVPS at Loughbough could finish the second Beavortail in original condition and to mainline running, am sure plenty would pay extra for those seats

Brian

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
You are right in one instance, when No. 19 masqueraded as "Silver Link" she had quite a decent set of valances made which are still available so could be re-fitted.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts