Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
So the cat's out of the bag......

An informative and interesting review - congratulations to you both.

Regards

·
Ian Wigglesworth
750 Posts
Very nice.

Problem is I didn't manage to get a Deltic!

As the ones are now going for really stupid money on Ebay(£500 for limited edition one) I will have to wait for the release of a sound one if Bachmann NRM do indeed release one.

Hey ho, will have to wait and see what happens!

·
DT
4,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This loco has is now giving me good reason to get my mainline finished. I want to see it running at speed along the track.

I'm finding that the Deltic with it's small wheels has a problem with some of my pointwork. I'm sure it is the pointwork that is at fault though. I know that it is not perfect. I've had this niggling need to fix it. I may as well do it now.

So I'm off to the garage to rip up some track...

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
I like that
; thanks for putting it together and uploading it

David

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
Hi

I model steam but that looks and sounds excellent. I like how you mounted the speakers. Good idea. Never thought of wood! Second video is much better. Excellent job done guys. Great review.

Wow 500+ on E-bay, will people really pay that sort of money considering how much it cost originally?

If I know Richard he spent hours in front of the computer getting it just right.

m

·
DT
4,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Perhaps Richard can give details on the sounds used in the decoder.

I can say that the low resonating sound of the Deltic does come through. Difficult to appreciate in the recording. I'm sure frequencies are lost due to crappy camera, built in mike and compression.

The challenge is to try to emulate the deep bass sounds from speakers that fit in a sound box with a total size of 23mm x 50mm x 10mm.

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
QUOTE The challenge is to try to emulate the deep bass sounds from speakers that fit in a sound box with a total size of 23mm x 50mm x 10mm.

The clip of the "Three Deltics" you put in the review certainly has them. My sub woofer feeds strong vibrations into the desktop - awesome!

For my part, I would trust Richard's judgement on this. Any one who builds a full size scale model of Ribblehead viaduct, complete with curve is not one to compromise!

David

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
I'm sure Richard has used the beat sound available. I know from past experience that he will only release a product to market once he is totally satisfied. As a steam man, I don't know enough about Deltic, but somewhere in the back of my mind I remember there being a significant mechanical difference between the prototype and the production Deltics?

Either way I'll probably end up adding this chip to my Deltic once my layout is a bit more advanced. Still up to my ears in cabling at the minute!

Rob

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (Brian Grey @ 17 Mar 2008, 01:12) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Nice idea - but what sounds are you using - sounds more like a class 66 than ever a Deltic would. all them warning clazons at start up

Hello Brian

The core of all engine sounds are actually derived from original recordings of the real thing... as are all but one of the optioned horn sounds used. The only sound I did not have available as yet was a startup sequence for one so I have adapted another startup for use in this sound file at present.

I'm happy to replace this start sound with a less "showy" sound file however I won't do that until I get an original file to work from... as it is this decoder already has 60+ sound files created, edited, optimised and stored within it to create the harmonics of a Deltic - many many hours of work.

Having also created a successful class 66 file I can assure you it is nothing like a 66 in content or sound delivered....not one sound file has a class 66 as its roots.

One thing Doug's video cannot convey due to the averge nature of video camera microphones is the real depth of the sound...

Regards

Richard
DCCconcepts

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
You see and hear something like this and you go, I have to have sounds in my locomotives.

That being said, I don't know how many layouts on the British exhibition circuit have sound equipped locomotives running on them but I remember when the group I am involved in first started exhibiting our Gauge 1 layout with sound. The first comments from fellow exhibitors was the sound is to loud, I don't know about using sound, Oh its DCC I will never get that its to expensive.

How times have changed.

John

·
DT
4,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The amazing thing about this decoder is the two or three extra sounds that it has: the station announcement, the conductor's whistle and the clickty-clack of a train going by. This loco and it's decoder adds atmosphere and interest to a layout.

If it is too loud, just turn it down. I have my sound decoders turned right down - just enough to mask the sound of the electric motor in model itself and they suit me fine like this.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Hi Doug,

I currently only have four locomotives with sound. When I got my first one, I cranked the sound right up and it was cool. Now that I have four, the sound level is about 20% of maximum. If you are not with a couple of meters, you can barely hear them.

At an exhibition with lots of people, sound on full and unless you are with 2 feet you can barely hear them!

I predict that ambient sound (town, country factory etc) will be the next big thing.

John

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
That definitely sounds better in my system. I can distinguish the "pulsing" sound in the first 30 seconds of the clip.

David

1 - 20 of 35 Posts