Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I today managed to find a shop who sell Hornby 8pin decoders - fitted it to my NRM Flying Scotsman model, took 2 hours to sort it out and ended up breaking the speedometer cable - well the cable diddnt break the housing which is on the plastic shell ripped off when I turned the speed to move. It diddnt say how tight I needed to tighten it up as it was fairly tight when I first untightned it in the first place.
I phoned Hornby (expected nobody to be there) and it came onto answer phone. Left my name and tel num. What I'd like to know is, Will Hornby fix it without charge or will it cost me anything, as their instructions are very unclear. I have installed the decoder and everything, will I need to remove it when I send it to them if they say send it?
I can't wait until they call as it will be bugging me all night and I wont be able to sleep - just how I am.

Many thanks

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for your replies everyone. I managed to print this long thread off and read it at work and I gave Hornby cust service a call and they said if I send it back to them direct they will repair ir "Under the warrenty/gaurentee"
Although the person was helpful, he did advise I send it after Christmas as if i send it now I wont get it back till the new year, but seeing its a xmas pressie I will wait till new year.
I dont know if its just me, but I always seem to have a problem with Hornby products. Not major, but theres always that little "thing" that is just "there". My pendolino had a problem with the motor when I first had mine, it started smoking when it moved - slow or high speed. Took it back to the shop and they replaced it (just the motor car). Personally I think it was 2 wires were in contact in the motor or something to cause that, but in theory it should have just cut out if this was the case.

Like said above, usually you would send it back to the retailer (like I will be doing with this new pc - what a waste of money) - half the components dont work. I wont be taking a trip over to The Netherlands for them to fix it so will just return.
However, I bought my model Flying Scotsman from a shop way up north - 100+miles when I was on holiday a couple of weeks ago and I dont want to take a trip just to exchange a model which would cost me the price in a rail fair one way.

Thanks everybody for your comments - all noted.

Many thanks

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.