Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts

While doing research on another subject I came across this picture. Unfortunately the only information I could find was that it was a NSWGR "AC38" 4-6-4+4-6-4 and that this model was shown at a Sydney rail exhibition. Any more info on whether this loco was ever actually produced and run would be appreciated?

Here is a link to the original picture as it's quite big. http://users.powernet.co.uk/hamilton/bgpix/ac38.jpg

·
Registered
9 Posts
Never built. A design based on the 4-6-2+2-6-4 express Garratts used in Algeria was considered but the conventional 38 class pacific built instead.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Definitely not a real loco. The only Garretts the NSWGR ever had were the AD60s

The rather fuzzy label does say "proposed loco" and a date which can';t be read but may be 193x

Sounds like a mock up of what might have been if the NSWGR had gone with the idea of an express Garrett instead of building the C38 Pacifics . The class number's a bit of a giveaway - AC38 would have meant the locos being numbered in the 38xx block , where they would have clashed with the real C38s.... Buffer beam seems to show 3801 , which in the real world is the streamline C38 class leader

I don't know whether it bears a lot of resemblance to the Garrett proposal or whether that got as far as a GA (To be honest dirty snowball's posting was the first time I'd heard about the Garrett idea) . Looks like someone has taken the semi -streamline styling of the first 10 C38s and applied it to a notional Garrett

The model's 7mm by the look of it

·
Registered
9 Posts
QUOTE (neil_s_wood @ 15 Aug 2007, 02:32) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Shame it wasn't produced. It looks great. A streamlined Garratt. Doesn't get better than that.

You have seen photos of the streamlined (or just semi-streamlined?) Algerian machines? Like the one on this page http://users.powernet.co.uk/hamilton/pics5.html ?

Very distinctive locomotives. To my eyes better looking than the "AC38" model, I don't think that green with yellow whiskers works well on a Garratt...

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE (dirtysnowball @ 15 Aug 2007, 13:54) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>You have seen photos of the streamlined (or just semi-streamlined?) Algerian machines? Like the one on this page http://users.powernet.co.uk/hamilton/pics5.html ?

Very distinctive locomotives. To my eyes better looking than the "AC38" model, I don't think that green with yellow whiskers works well on a Garratt...
Yes, the Algerian one is a stunner. As the green with yellow whiskers appear on the C38 too I guess they were applying the same livery to the hypothetical Garratt.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've found another photo of what I assume is the same model (surely there's only one of them...) in the December 2000 issue of Australian Model Railway Magazine. It's part of the Northern Railway Company collection of New South Wales Wales locomotives and railcars. HO scale, built by David Smith and Peter Webb. The caption describes it as a 1938 proposal based on the PLM's Algerian passenger Garratts, and the model is definitely numbered 3801.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE (dirtysnowball @ 16 Aug 2007, 20:09) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I've found another photo of what I assume is the same model (surely there's only one of them...) in the December 2000 issue of Australian Model Railway Magazine. It's part of the Northern Railway Company collection of New South Wales Wales locomotives and railcars. HO scale, built by David Smith and Peter Webb. The caption describes it as a 1938 proposal based on the PLM's Algerian passenger Garratts, and the model is definitely numbered 3801.
Does the article say if its on public display? I wouldn't mind having a bit of a look at that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
QUOTE (neil_s_wood @ 16 Aug 2007, 22:09) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Does the article say if its on public display? I wouldn't mind having a bit of a look at that.

It was part of a display at the Liverpool (Sydney) model railway show in 2000. There's no mention of any other time or place it may have been seen in public.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts