Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has there ever been a RTR nuclear flask wagon produced by the major manufacturers? If so, who made it and when?

I have found a kit (FNA-H Bogie BNFL Flask Wagon Dia 2/536) from a company called Genesis. Who are Genesis and what are their products like?

I seen a great picture of a wagon in the back of January's Model Rail issue 87, advertising the forth coming feature about DRS in February's issue. Naturally I couldn't wait for this months issue, but was fairly dissappointed about the fact it didn't discuss wagons at all. (Not knocking the DRS feature as a whole though, because it was excellent, and close to my heart (actually 1 mile up the road!)

However it did mention that issue 30 April 2001 had a full feature on them. Several other issues had people scratch building them, but thats not for me. Has anybody got the said issue of Model Rail stored away somewhere?
I would most grateful for a copy of page 56! A scan of the page e-mailed or a photocopy posted (I'll pay postage!)

I suppose I could be waiting an eternity for a RTR model from Hornby, Bachmann etc, as it's a very specific bogie well wagon, hauled by only one operator. Saying that though, Model Rail reckons DRS are one of the commonest modern image modelling projects, therefore you would think a flask wagon would be popular? The only other wagons you can haul at the moment is the intermodal stuff, or I've seen photos of small tankers being hauled, but you can't really have DRS locos without a nuclear flask wagon....it just aint right!

On another DRS related note, I always fancied purchasing a DRS Lima class 20 off eBay. What is the Lima model like regarding running qualities and detail
. Never had one, and to be truthfull the DRS liveried model looks quite 'toylike' in appearance....but I need one!

So, any flask wagon information would be great

Thanks

Paul

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hi Paul,

I bought the flask wagon kit from Genesis and it is very good. You get all the parts for the flask and wagon, but have to buy wheels and the little cups that hold them separately. You then file all the edges and then assemble it using superglue or low melt solder. The instructions are quite easy to follow, but you need to use your initiative here and there! I drilled some hole in the bogies, but I was using the wrong size drill bit, so they are far too big. The good thing is that you can send the damaged bit back to them and they will send a new one back to you
I haven't yet sent off so I can't comment on their service.

·
Registered
763 Posts
The lima class 20 has a different motor and drive to the other lima models due to the narrow body width, it has a centrally mounted motor and a driveshaft to one bogie. Running quality tends to vary but the newer models have a 5 pole motor i believe which presumably will be smoother than the older ones.
I suppose with a bit of subtle weathering it would lose the toylike look. It is worth mentioning that the lima model seems to hold its price well despite the newer bachmann version(maybe should be because of)

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
The Lima Class 20 was my first Lima as I wanted a Class 20 at the time and purchased a Hunslett Barclay version. I'd never really looked at Lima before then. This was about 2000. Compared to my Hornby's at the time it ran OK at slow speeds, I could hear the clackety clack of the track joints, and it was a good puller with the traction tyres. But then I had my trusty old Duette controller which I still have.

I think the Lima version looks OK but then I think the Hornby Dublo version looks OK. I am firmly in the "if I want it I'll have it catagory". I may get a Bachmann version this year as the one they were showing with the sound chip at the Warley show seemed very tempting with the sound chip. I am following the DCC sound chip thread with interest.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
48 Posts
"S" Kits also produce flask wagon kits,there are two different kits which between them will enable you to produce any of the variants except the crash test wagon."S" Kits are resin and white metal,generally a little more refined than Genesis albeit more expensive.Happy modelling

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've just built my first Genesis kit - as part of a batch of whitemetal trucks - and it was the hardest to assemble of the lot (the others were 51L, D & S, ABS, Geen). The parts took much more fettling and were harder to locate. That said they cover prototypes you can't get elsewhere and I will certainly buy and build more. Perhaps not the best place to start learning to build, though.

That said we should all be trying to help and encourage this type of small manufacturer. If you aren't happy about building it (and you can glue as well as solder) try your local club. Someone there is almost sure to be able to either help you do it or (perhaps for a liquid consideration) do it for you. That way you'll end up with a truck you want and not too many others will have. Idealy, build it yourself - there is enormous satisfaction in watching a train you have built yourself trundling past.

It's well outside my experience but isn't there a means of fitting new motors/flywheels to Lima class 20s which improves the running no end?

Jonathan

·
Registered
213 Posts
QUOTE (jwealleans @ 9 Feb 2006, 06:56)It's well outside my experience but isn't there a means of fitting new motors/flywheels to Lima class 20s which improves the running no end?

I think it's Branchlines of Exeter that offer this conversion for the Lima Cl.20,-but on the other hand,why bother?-just buy a Bachmann one,-with its Flywheel equipped motor and drive to all axles it's a better runner as it stands,having overtaken the Lima offering in terms of quality,I would only consider the Lima version if you can pick one up dirt cheap..

RE nuclear flask wagons;-I'm aware of the Genesis kit,but haven't seen the S Kits model,-which wagon is it?- I assume 'modern'.
Is anyone aware of a kit appropriate for the 1960's era

·
Registered
48 Posts
"S" kits do two versions of the flask wagon ,one takes you back to the early build of the late 70's I think.Not sure what was used in the 60's don't think there was that much traffic.There's an article in DEMU Update on these ,clic on the DEMU site and the Update index will guide you there.
Happy modelling
Chris

·
Registered
213 Posts
QUOTE (Chrisgus @ 10 Feb 2006, 18:52)Not sure what was used in the 60's don't think there was that much traffic.

Well,it seems that there was quite a bit of nuclear traffic in the '60s,-both steam and diesel hauled

In 1960 Swindon built 24 vacuum-braked FLATROL MJ Wagons to diagram 2/532 on Lot 3300,numbered B900509-B900532,later on some of these were rebuilt with air brakes and coded XKA.
Also in the '60s there were some conversions of diagram 2/440 RECTANK WC Wagons,
and later on in 1969 the air-braked XKB Wagons appeared..

I'd post some pictures,but I'm not sure how it's done on this site..

Do 'S Kits' have a website?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thanks ds,was unaware of that early traffic and every new bit of learning is good.No "S" Kits dont have a web site,I'll post the address here in a couple of minutes.what they do have is an increasingly good range of modern wagons ,plus bogies,suspension units,containers etc.Well worth writing to George Ansell,owner and getting a list.

Chris

1 - 11 of 11 Posts