Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that we are about two weeks to the fair of all fairs; the "Nurnberg Toy Fair", I would like to have your opinions of how the model rail manufacturers will cope on the existing financial crisis?

i.e, comparing to the previous years, will we see new models or will those models be left for us just to see in the manufacturers 2009 catalogues ? (Remember, Roco announced that it was going to release the Br24 end of 2007, now they are announcing it spring 2009 !)

Do you expect transactions between dealers and manufacturers to be at a decline. Being open only for dealers, no one from the public, still was very crowded in 2007 when I was there. Will we be able to see the same enthusiasm this year?

Guess we have to hope for the best and see how it goes.

Doug, will you be attending this year?

baykal

·
DT
4,794 Posts
Well Zimo will not be at the fair this year for various reasons. They say it's not directly to the the economic downturn, but rather due to the increasing fees that the Toy Fair organisers are charging. They say that they can make better use of the money saved in product development. Zimo will have representatives in Nürnberg to meet up with dealers who are visiting the Toy Fair.

We will be reporting from the show, but I many not be there myself, but rather coordinating what some reporters will be sending in.

Are there any members planning on attending the Nürnberg Toy Fair? If there are, perhaps we could organise that you too can send some photos in from the show.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Whoever reports or goes it doesn't matter - it's just nice to see the new items from some of the lesser players.

Regards

·
is asleep
758 Posts
QUOTE (ebaykal @ 22 Jan 2009, 10:43) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Now that we are about two weeks to the fair of all fairs; the "Nurnberg Toy Fair", I would like to have your opinions of how the model rail manufacturers will cope on the existing financial crisis?

i.e, comparing to the previous years, will we see new models or will those models be left for us just to see in the manufacturers 2009 catalogues ? (Remember, Roco announced that it was going to release the Br24 end of 2007, now they are announcing it spring 2009 !)

Do you expect transactions between dealers and manufacturers to be at a decline. Being open only for dealers, no one from the public, still was very crowded in 2007 when I was there. Will we be able to see the same enthusiasm this year?

Guess we have to hope for the best and see how it goes.

Doug, will you be attending this year?

baykal
Good topic Baylal! I had an idea that in N scale at least a vast majority of the new items for 2009 would be repaints or small adjustments to exisiting models. Having just looked at the Trix/Minitrix 2009 catalogue I am pleased that N scale is well represented and there is a quite wide range of things on offer although I seem mostly right. However one good thing (at least in the short term as if a manufacturer does it year after year they are probably doomed...) is an increase in the number of sets with four or five freight wagons for block trains. These are very useful for epoch V modellers and save costs for the manufacturer as well as allowing modellers to approach scale length trains without having to find 30 individual models etc. etc.

There are some nice models for Austria on the way though; ÖBB 1010 and 1020 (crocodile like!) from Fleischmann, ÖBB 1216 Taurus 3 from Lemke and the ÖBB 1012 has just arrived from Minitrix, so I guess I'm more lucky than some modellers of countries other than Switzerland or Germany.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
I suppose it's more dependant on how hard the recession has hit Germany in terms of what is bought. The manufacturers would have commissioned new models a long time ago so they are locked into whatever they have committed themselves to.

Have you seen the Trix new items for 2009 Goedel? I have been checking all the usual places and haven't seen anything other than Minitrix trainsets and the Profi club model for HO.

I look forward to the Nurnberg report. We are lucky to get this two months before the mag's do. One of the years highlights.

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
Check this topic that StevenTrain has started for Trix new items for 2009.

David

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I hope these new releases do not stay in the catalogues .

Going over the Trix one, I couldn't resist the mouth watering G8.1 in SNCF livery.
But yet again when it comes to Trix I have my reserves.

Baykal

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (ebaykal @ 22 Jan 2009, 10:43) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Being open only for dealers, no one from the public,

In theory, but providing you can come up with something half convincing they will take your money at the door & in you go !

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
QUOTE (ebaykal @ 23 Jan 2009, 20:14) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I hope these new releases do not stay in the catalogues .

Going over the Trix one, I couldn't resist the mouth watering G8.1 in SNCF livery.

Baykal

If its the same as the Marklin class 55 it has a fuli.

No open and exposed gears!!!!!

John

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Alas I cannot go this year since the date clashes with a skiing trip and SWMBO would kill me if I tried to detour via Nuremberg - and before the forum collectively assumes I am made of cash (
) I hasten to add that it is a school trip.... with 40 teenagers.... aaaaargh!

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (60134 @ 24 Jan 2009, 10:41) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>and before the forum collectively assumes I am made of cash (
)

As if we would.........................well OK yes we would.

Mind you I just had this terrible vision of 40 odd teenagers tearing round the Messe

Regards

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (steventrain @ 3 Feb 2009, 10:03) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Marklin will not be attend the Nurnberg Fair. See detail at 'End of the line for Marklin?' Topic.

That will leave a pretty large space to fill then !

I gather that quite a lot of other manufactures will not be there either, probably due to the overheads.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
QUOTE (Brian Considine @ 3 Feb 2009, 10:39) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>That will leave a pretty large space to fill then !

I gather that quite a lot of other manufactures will not be there either, probably due to the overheads.

It was the biggest stand in 2007;

...will be missed.

Baykal

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Mind you the LGB stand wasn't exactly small last time I went.

Regards

·
Registered
358 Posts
QUOTE (ebaykal @ 23 Jan 2009, 07:14) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Going over the Trix one, I couldn't resist the mouth watering G8.1 in SNCF livery.

Baykal

Baykal
could I recommend the Fleischmann model, it's in black, not green but runs beautifully, marketed as the SNCF 040D. I've got 2 and no complaints; I suspect if the Trix one does materialise it will be a hefty price.

regards

Clive

·
Registered
99 Posts
Has anyone , by chance, got a spare ticket for the fair ??

It's retailers only, so the likes of me can't get hold of one.

please please please

1 - 20 of 25 Posts