Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Re Garden Railways I have had a Garden Railway for over 30 years It started with 00 which lasted for about 4 years with great success then LGB became freely available so I CHANGED TO THAT about 1975 Since then I have had a a garden railway in either G scale 16mm or Gauge 0 , from my experience for operational reliability G scale is the best the problem with 0-gauge is that alot of the rolling stock is very light and is prone to derailment by wind or wind blown debris, wheras the greater weight of G or 16mm scales means that this is not a problem.. I felt that 00 actually was more reliable than 0 outside! A few tips I can offer. If using electric 2 rail traction avoid fastening track down solidly ie do not concrete , nail or screw it down, lay it in ballast like the real thing wherever possible. this 'floating' facility keeps the track and joints cleaner. I have NEVER bonded rail joints in any gauge but I have had trouble free operation, the secret is to feed power to the track at frequent intervals say every 3 to 4 yards by the use of a 'bus' circuit which can be simply buried in the ballast. I use a medium gauge cable for this such as 'speaker'cable. I connect the feeds to the track by simply inserting bared ends into the rail joiners, beleive me it works!. I have used LGB Graphite paste in the rail joiners, I cannot say if this has any effect as I had no probs before the product was on the Market! As far a s live steam is concerened I have had a few locos over the years but never kept them for long, I personally find that the novelty of live steam with me wears a bit thin after a while. As someone said to me once 'In the Garden you either run a railway or yopu run a live steam loco, you cannot do both!' In other words live steam demands 100% attention after a while it becomes a chore not a pleasure! If I can pass on any other info please ask Regards Steve Lewisl

·
Registered
11 Posts
The August edition of "Model Rail" magazine includes a free 32 page garden railways magazine - Model Rail Outdoors. They will guide you through the basics of planning, constructing and operating an outdoor model railway, PLUS tips on using Hornby's Live Steam 'OO' gauge models in the garden.

I've got one of their previous garden railway features somewhere and it will be well worth picking up a copy of the magazine to get this if anybody has any plans of this type.

It should be out early in July.

vintagemodeller

1 - 4 of 4 Posts