Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Re Garden Railways I have had a Garden Railway for over 30 years It started with 00 which lasted for about 4 years with great success then LGB became freely available so I CHANGED TO THAT about 1975 Since then I have had a a garden railway in either G scale 16mm or Gauge 0 , from my experience for operational reliability G scale is the best the problem with 0-gauge is that alot of the rolling stock is very light and is prone to derailment by wind or wind blown debris, wheras the greater weight of G or 16mm scales means that this is not a problem.. I felt that 00 actually was more reliable than 0 outside! A few tips I can offer. If using electric 2 rail traction avoid fastening track down solidly ie do not concrete , nail or screw it down, lay it in ballast like the real thing wherever possible. this 'floating' facility keeps the track and joints cleaner. I have NEVER bonded rail joints in any gauge but I have had trouble free operation, the secret is to feed power to the track at frequent intervals say every 3 to 4 yards by the use of a 'bus' circuit which can be simply buried in the ballast. I use a medium gauge cable for this such as 'speaker'cable. I connect the feeds to the track by simply inserting bared ends into the rail joiners, beleive me it works!. I have used LGB Graphite paste in the rail joiners, I cannot say if this has any effect as I had no probs before the product was on the Market! As far a s live steam is concerened I have had a few locos over the years but never kept them for long, I personally find that the novelty of live steam with me wears a bit thin after a while. As someone said to me once 'In the Garden you either run a railway or yopu run a live steam loco, you cannot do both!' In other words live steam demands 100% attention after a while it becomes a chore not a pleasure! If I can pass on any other info please ask Regards Steve Lewisl

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.