Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just bought a couple of "O" gauge kits to build for a friend who is making his first tentative steps into "O" gauge. I picked up two Parkside Dundas kits an LMS beer van and a BR 16ton mineral wagon. I also go a Peco 21T mineral wagon. Any tips or pitfalls I should be aware of before I start on these models.

Ozzie21

·
Registered
208 Posts
QUOTE (Ozzie21 @ 10 Mar 2007, 23:06) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I've just bought a couple of "O" gauge kits to build for a friend who is making his first tentative steps into "O" gauge. I picked up two Parkside Dundas kits an LMS beer van and a BR 16ton mineral wagon. I also go a Peco 21T mineral wagon. Any tips or pitfalls I should be aware of before I start on these models.

Ozzie21The only thing I find is that the floor is sometimes very slightly over long or wide and it pays to join the sides and ends as two opposite bits and do a dry run with the floor to check that the two new corners mate corectly, if they don't its easy to just scrape the edge of the floor until they fit and then form the body. As to the comment about the wheels I prefer the ones supplied in the kit as the axles are the correct length and the axle bushes fit tightly in the hole in the axlebox. Also why spend more on extra wheels that may look heavier but I have found that they don't run any better.

regards

mike g

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help guys especially the comment on the floor. I picked up a Slaters 20T Midland brake van as well. I found the Parkside Dundas kits to be slightly inferior in fit and quality to the Peco or Slaters kits. But they are running okay now so I guess it's time to start painting.

Thanks
Ozzie21

1 - 6 of 6 Posts