Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few months of "nothing to do" time until my resturant re-opens and I enjoy starting new projects. Im having a go at fabricating a set of points from scratch, has anyone else made a set that worked?

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that link,ive browsed through it and put it in my favourites box for further reference. I knew it would be a tricky task but I shall give it a go, im a time served engineer but cat d9s and 16g motor graders are somewhat different than this, ive made a basic start on it already.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Thanks for the info gents but it seems a bit compicated for a moment so I've made a dummy set just for visual purposes. Making my own was an option after I saw the prices but as its only a little project at present it will have to wait but I will keep this info in my favourites for future reference, thanks again.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
QUOTE (jimread @ 1 Feb 2009, 23:07) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Dear Frame69,

You would be very welcome to the drawing I made and I would make a close up pic of a point for you so that you could see how they are made.

Dear Rossi,

Shellac has the same effect as does PVA glue when laying ballast I changed my mind about my layout and am now making a 3 way point plus 1 LH and 1 RH to make a crosover between 3 tracks, I had to scrape up the track I'd previously stuck down and ballasted, it was tough :)

Jim
Thanks Jim and yes I would be very gratefull for this drawing as the points would be much better if they worked

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
QUOTE (alastairq @ 1 Feb 2009, 23:28) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>frame69...is that O gauge trackage, really peco streamline OO flextrack, cut in half and glued down further apart?

the weeds down the middle look suspicious.
Yes Alastairq, it is oo track,I was given a carrier bag full at Lostwithiel toy fair which was not good enough to use on my main layout so was saved for little projects such as this. When I lay the track on the second board I will fabricate some fake sleepers.

[I bought some cheapo steel OO flex track, code 100, to recycle into O gauge trackage, as I have a LIma 4 wheel diesel with the cab cut down to resemble a German Kof 11....and 2 or 3 ex-ebay continental wagons to shuffle about......3 link couplers, but can't change the wheelsets.....one is a Pola Maxi, and it's axles are like welding rods.]

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Also because this project is merely a learning curve Im going to construct a small,powered tuntable just big enough to accept my shunter. I have ideas of using bits and pieces from some old dvd players,motors etc...I have been using old mobile phone chargers for small sources of power for projects,they are good for lighting and can be wired straight in to the board as they are low power,3.2v-4.8v-5.7v etc..This small layout is going to represent a small industrial scene from E C L P where I was based as a Caterpiller engineer for several years. (cornish clay pits for those of you not familiar) On my layout I have class 37 William Cookworthy, W C was founder of the china clay industry Im told.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've got my ex-wife helping in the restuarant plus waitresses, I'll try and get the owner to do some work this year
.Being self employed gives you the urge to do a little bit extra I think

Sometimes I think I've taken on to much but then remember that its a hobby and no pressure to finish anything so Im realy enjoying it, spent the last ten years going in the same bar
same faces.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
QUOTE (jimread @ 3 Feb 2009, 22:07) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Dear Frame69,

And anyone interested in wanting to make a point, in any scale.

Here's the link showing how I make mine;
http://www.jrbham.btinternet.co.uk/point/index.html

There's probably something I missed, please ask and I'll add to the page.

Jim
That looks a like a project I could get my head round ,thanks Jim,I'll keep you posted on my progress

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Having learnt a great deal more since starting this idea.(all thanks to feedback from mrf members),I have now made the garden ready for work on my o gauge shunting layout.I've bought track,a bit of rolling stock,the easy part,So now Im making the timber frame,had a day off so I layed some track to get an idea........

...not very exciting but its a start.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
The weather is good enough now for starting my garden shunting layout,as Im not realy allowed to drill into the wall or lay too much concrete Im using timber to construct it,heres the area being stripped prior to timber work with mistress Beverley not paying much attention to my construction skills....

....a start....

...and here is the second shunter I may run in a consist with the Atlas one so I can have a fair incline.....

...I'll try to get the full run of timber up soon so Paul can have a play when he's down,but work has taken a turn for the worse,8 am till 8/9pm most days

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
QUOTE (jimread @ 1 Feb 2009, 23:07) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Dear Frame69,

You would be very welcome to the drawing I made and I would make a close up pic of a point for you so that you could see how they are made.

Dear Rossi,

Shellac has the same effect as does PVA glue when laying ballast I changed my mind about my layout and am now making a 3 way point plus 1 LH and 1 RH to make a crosover between 3 tracks, I had to scrape up the track I'd previously stuck down and ballasted, it was tough :)

Jim
Time has come to make a start on these points,thanks again Jim I'll try to keep you updated on its progress

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
No time to build these points so madon37 kindly picked me some up at mevagissy model rail shop. I'll be fitting them when/if the rain stops!
Hopefully some videos should be ready after my trip on Tornado this sunday.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Sorry,just found this.Everything is as I bought it,but have found buffer kits at Parkside Dundas for about £6.
Frame

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Judging by my response time on this thread you'll recieve your answer in four to five months.

Mine has not been run enough to notice any problems so I could'nt advise apart from a clean up.
cheers Frame.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts