Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Dear Frame69,

I have made O Gauge points in the past by buying the rail and copper clad sleepers. Having returned to modelling and seeing the price of the sleepers I thought I might try some other method.

I cut some card sleepers and glued some rail to them with super glue, just a short length, then prised it apart. I was surprised to see that the glue soaks into the card and its quite difficult to get off I had to resort to scraping and emery cloth to get the rail clean again.

The deciding factor in order to make a layout like this was has got to be a point, if that would not work then it was pointless (the layout as well :)

Here's a pic of the completed point;

This point is 28" radius, fine for a small 4 wheeled coach and for short 0-6-0 locos. I drew it with a trammel, a drill in one end a pencil in the other. I scanned the drawing printed it, stuck it to the baseboard and made the point on top.

The rails were electrically connected by bits of thin wire, the frog switch is a loop of thicker wire switched by the point blades, it works well, I'm pleased to say.

Jim

·
Registered
39 Posts
Dear Frame69,

You would be very welcome to the drawing I made and I would make a close up pic of a point for you so that you could see how they are made.

Dear Rossi,

Shellac has the same effect as does PVA glue when laying ballast I changed my mind about my layout and am now making a 3 way point plus 1 LH and 1 RH to make a crosover between 3 tracks, I had to scrape up the track I'd previously stuck down and ballasted, it was tough :)

Jim

·
Registered
39 Posts
Dear Frame69,

I will put the drawing and the photos, which I hope to take tomorrow and put them on a web page for you to download.

I'll let you know the link here when I've done it.

Jim

1 - 4 of 4 Posts