Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Although I live in a large house the loft which is used for storage is the most likely place I can use for a layout.
I am considering a very large flat door as a base which has been used as a table up there for many years. Although I can see from the magazines, track books and forums etc. I could constrain my layout to this area approx 2 x 1 metres but I was thinking of running track around the eaves but there is a height difference at the only useable height in the roof of 250mm. What would be a safe rate of rise, for loco, controllers etc. to lift a train from the door to the roof loop without doing damage to either pieces of equipment. Raising the door / table would elimanate the problem but I don't think the layout would be at a sensible viewing or operable height.

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
***Practicality is of couse an issue as ideals aren't always possible, however anything steeper than 1 in 100 will affect train lengths a lot.

Try to stay between a max grade of 1 in 50 (steep for any scale with the mass of O, and very restricting on train length) and 1 in 100, with the target as close to the 1 in 100 as you can manage.

regards

·
Registered
208 Posts
I found that 1:72 was a good gradient to use in O and did not have any problems with approx 30 yards at that slope in the garden. A 1/2in bit of wood under a 3ft level and you have the right gradient. I don't think you will have enough space in a loft to get a run in at that slope and you might be best making all new boards to run at say 30in above the floor, I have found this to be OK when sitting on a chair and you can just about work under it.

regards

mike g

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies I think a sensible solution as you indicate would be to double the existing board area. I will need to clear the centre of the loft I think and plan a level layout. The planning will be interesting, the just clearing the centre of the loft sounds easy but.

Thanks again for the advice.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts