Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Ian Wigglesworth
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been playing about with the Scalescenes goods shed that came free with the Hornby magazine.

I wanted to see what it would look like in O-scale against my narrow gauge loco.

Mmmm huge!

O and OO scale....I'm still not 100% sure this is right!

This is with a Hornby O-scale clockwork tin plate loco, this doesn't look too bad, but I'm still not convinced the scale is right on the O-scale goods shed!
To me it still looks too big!

Hey ho, one day I might get the hang of this...then again maybe not!

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
I see what you mean. I would expect the O gauge model to be approximately 7/4 (1.75) times bigger in width, height and depth. I'm guessing this is what you did and it's turned out like the photos?

David

·
Ian Wigglesworth
750 Posts
I magnified the OO kit to 176%.

Then printed it out on A4 then glued all the parts to the cardboard.
This may have caused the problem, not having an A3 printer and just printing enlarged views to A4 sheet has thrown it out.

I have downloaded the O-scale red brick sheet(for something else!) and the brick sizes all match up.

Very odd

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Don't forget that narrow gauge locos are much smaller than their standard gauge relatives. (in the UK at least) The biggest problem, in my opinion, is that the platform is much to high, perhaps reducing the height of that may help. overall the size looks about right.

Regards

·
Ian Wigglesworth
750 Posts
Thanks all!

Been playing about in the office today as we have an A3 printer.

Right increasing the magnification by 141% is taking A4 upto A3, this does actually look perfectly ok for Narrow gauge, would just need to cover the brick work with correct O-scale brick paper.
I did this by printing out the A4 page then using our copier did a colour photocopy enlargement by 141%
I then tried printing the document out onto A3 paper and selected the 'fit to print area' option.
The two documents came out virtually the same size so thats the way I can do it to give me decent looking narrow gauge models.

To actually get true O scale I would need to increase the image by 176%, then print out.
This seems impossible to do using Adobe and my printer!
I increased the image to 176% then in the print menu selected 'print current view' and then using the 'fit to page' in the page scaling menu. I was hoping that I could print different areas of the enlarged image out then just assemble it on a large piece of cardboard.
Sort of worked but way over size, because all it was doing is increasing the image scale to fit the print area.

The only way I can see of doing this is to print out the image onto A4 as normal, then take the images to a copy shop and ask them to make an enlargement photocopy at 176%, this would mean printing out onto A2 though!!

Food for thought.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts