Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
DT
4,794 Posts
Another day, another project. This loco is destined for the Avontuur Line layout.

NGG16 Garratt
O16.5 gauge - 1:43 O gauge scale model on 16.5mm narrow gauge track

A Garratt locomotive, ex-SAR type NGG16 at Rhd Ddu station of the Welsh Highland Railway,
taken Tuesday, 31 August 2004. Attribution: John Radcliffe.

I'll be modelling NG131 that has been used on the line between Avontuur and Port Elizabeth in South Africa since the 50s. Built in 1950 by Beyer Peacock at Manchester.

This is a Backwoods Miniatures model. I could have ordered it for a 14mm gauge, but chose to configure it in the more common, slightly wider 16.5mm gauge so that the track can be used for On30 models too. Of course On30 track can be used for the layout thus eliminating the need for hand-laid 14mm gauge track and points which is not my cup of tea. Most of these models produced by Backwoods are ordered for 16.5mm gauge.

The kit is mainly brass with some white metal and bronze detail parts.

First step: Build the wheel-sets.

Power to the model is provided by a pair of Faulhaber 2020 gearhead motors with a built-in 59:1 gearbox. The outboard axle of each mainframe unit is driven via 1:1 Grandtline bevel gears and cross-boxes ensuring a smooth and steady drive.

so far so good...

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Nice loco Doug, I look forward to seeing your progress on this one.

Regards

·
DT
4,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rich, the gears are press-fitted to the motor shaft. No chance of it coming free as there is no real pressure up or down the shaft. The bevel gears mesh very well.

So after a little while with the fancy new soldering iron, here is my progress so far - warts and all

The main running plate is in place to give an idea of the final shape of the loco on the tracks.

It has been fun to build so far. No major problems and no badly burnt fingers - although I think the nerve endings in the fingers are dead. Interesting to have two units to build. You struggle with one over a process, then breeze through the same process on the second one.

On to the motion with some bunker work to break from the stress of that fine and detailed task.

·
Administrator
9,856 Posts
Great progress.

David

·
Ex-member
1,051 Posts
QUOTE (Doug @ 15 Aug 2010, 02:10) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>So after a little while with the fancy new soldering iron, here is my progress so far - warts and all

Not too many warts there, Doug!

·
Premium Member
6,202 Posts
Good to see progress Doug

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Looking good so far Doug - keep up the good work.

regards

·
DT
4,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The motors are in. I had a problem figuring out how to get them in. The instructions don't explain properly that the motors have to be inclined as much as they are. If you don't lean them over, they don't fit. On the plan, they were about 20° more vertical. I had assumed that the bevel gear on the axle was on the wrong side so I took one frame apart, re-fitted the gear, but it didn't work out well. The motor did fit, but it wasn't stable. So I put it back and just before I was going to fire-off a letter to the manufacturers, by chance I tried another combination and it worked.

I have also now finished the counterweights. Building them up and finishing them off to the right level of neatness has taken ages. They have to be laminated from 3 layers of nickel-silver, tapped, have crank-pins attached and then filed and cleaned up. Quite a job.

·
Premium Member
2,578 Posts
Very Nice!

·
DT
4,794 Posts

Here I am running in the engine frames after the coupling rods have been fitted. This has helped to get everything turning smoothly and now I'm ready to fit the connecting rods and the rest of the motion gear. This double-engined model has outside frames and counterweights that spin hypnotically balancing the coupling rods and crank-pins.

Hope you like the video

·
Administrator
9,856 Posts
QUOTE Hope you like the video

Indeed

And congratulations on getting the quartering and coupling rods set up nice and true too. I've not managed that feat yet.

David

·
Premium Member
2,703 Posts
QUOTE (Doug @ 25 Aug 2010, 11:36) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>This is the 'There be Dragons' post.

One side down, three to go.

I don't envy you doing that valve gear, how i love Great Western locos- nice 'n' simple

Looks great so far Doug, can't wait to see it finished!!!

Regards

Kiwionrails

1 - 20 of 24 Posts