Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the Hornby club mag under non-catalogue items it mentions that a company named the Edinburgh Wollen (Woolen?) Mill Company has commissioned 1,500 R6393 OBA wagons "Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndropwillantysiliogogoch".
An unusual choice I would have thought?
The company's website shows it to a clothing company but it didn't seem to show any other categories.
I suppose with modern techniques the printing will be legible under a microscope!

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
There's an Edinburgh Woolen Mill shop about fifty yards from my office, I suppose I could go and check the story out.

Regards

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (pedromorgan @ 27 Nov 2007, 06:10) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>up north, wales. same thing isnt it?

Peter (with his toung firmly in cheak!)

I'm amazed at the number of people in my area that I meet that really have not been north of Watford !

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
Dbclass50's mention of Watford rings a bell. When I was a lad living near London (before the M1 was built) there were road signs all over the area saying "Watford, The North". This gave the impression that Watford was roughly where the North began as far as Ministry of Transport officials were concerned.

I now live in the North(ish) and am glad of the fact. Every time I go south to visit family I can't wait to get away from the noise and the rush and the crowded roads.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (Robert Stokes @ 27 Nov 2007, 11:42) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>When I was a lad living near London (before the M1 was built) there were road signs all over the area saying "Watford, The North". This gave the impression that Watford was roughly where the North began as far as Ministry of Transport officials were concerned.

That could actually explain a lot - many people seems to think that the north starts at Watford.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (dbclass50 @ 27 Nov 2007, 11:45) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>many people seems to think that the north starts at Watford.

And I thought it started as you crossed the River Medway

Regards (from a man of Kent)

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (ozwarrior @ 25 Nov 2007, 23:44) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>In the Hornby club mag under non-catalogue items it mentions that a company named the Edinburgh Wollen (Woolen?) Mill Company has commissioned 1,500 R6393 OBA wagons "Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndropwillantysiliogogoch".
An unusual choice I would have thought?

Being of a sadistic bent I have just been and looked in my local branch, apart from woolies etc. they have on sale cakes, fudge, hampers, cds, and golf equipment - but as yet no signs of any OBA wagons.

Regards

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (pedromorgan @ 27 Nov 2007, 22:16) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have never been to scotland! i have been to york and the lake district. i went to liverpool once. but the north is a wilderness into which i have never had reason to venture.

but i have made up for it buy visiting many other countries!

Peter
You don't know what you're missing Peter. Scotland is a very different place from England.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
QUOTE (Invicta @ 29 Nov 2007, 01:31) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Edinburgh Woollen Mill own the James Pringle shop & visitor centre at Llanfair PG- I'd guess the OBAs are mainly destined for sale there- as I recall, they're a Hornby dealer

Ah! That makes more sense!

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
So in the end it failed to be a three pipe problem.......

Regards

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (pedromorgan @ 29 Nov 2007, 14:04) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Worthy of Sherlock himself!

Inded hence my earlier comment.

Regards

·
Registered
97 Posts
QUOTE (neil_s_wood @ 27 Nov 2007, 21:42) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>You don't know what you're missing Peter. Scotland is a very different place from England.

Yeah. It's rubbish. Boring. And smells funny.

I would have thought the north was above Yorkshire. And I don't know where Watford is.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (Sir Galahad @ 30 Nov 2007, 07:35) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Yeah. It's rubbish. Boring. And smells funny.

I would have thought the north was above Yorkshire. And I don't know where Watford is.
Now now, It's not all like Dunfermline.

I used to think it was bizarre that they referred to Liverpool and Manchester as "the north" on the weather when I was a kid as they were only a third of the way up the country. Even in English terms they are only in the middle. Just shows you how Londoncentric the establishment is.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts