Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
QUOTE Working lamps

I feel the idea may have related to the oil lamp and coloured glass in the arms.....rather than just plain colour light signals?

Are Eckon still on the go?

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
thanks John.....

I recall many years since, a modeller describing in the 'press' how working signal lamps were constructed using fibre optic.

dunno what scale.....don't think it was N gauge!!!

Whilst on the topic of 'signals'........there is a strong link currently posted in MRE, between 'signalling' and DCC control.

no, not about flipping the arms...but about the 'operator' (you and I) actually controlling the layout as the signal(person) rather than as the engine driver.
With the actual engine having modern technology sensible control of its own?
ie....we exercise control through the signals, as in 'reality'....with the trains actually responding in an appropriate, sensible manner to the signals and conditions...doing 'their' own thing?

thus the train would not simply chase its own tail......but would 'progress' in a railway-like manner, doing things trains do...in response to the signal status, set by the operator?

Imagine if one got called away to the phone..no, that wouldn't happen today..ok got called for tea?

forgetting to close down the box...or not....to return to find the trains in completely different positions...goods trains shunted correctly, engines stabled....and refusing to run because the 'crews' have all gone 'home?'

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.