Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
For the last couple of weeks (when the Model Railway Express website has been available!) considerable support has been posted there for a range of ready-made, preferably operable, 00 scale signals. Ideas expressed include:
'Snap together' assembly with a range of options for brackets etc.
Tougher than the Ratio plastic kits to resist knocks on the layout
Easy installation
Remote electrical operation.
Working lamps

Has anybody here got any comments or additional features they'd like to see if such a range was available?

Regards,
John Webb

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alastairq,

Yes I'm sure the correspondents on MRE were meaning the oil lamps as they were talking about semaphores.

Eckon/Berko are still being advertised by CCH Models in the current 'Railway Modeller'.

Regards,
John Webb

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
Yes, I saw that one too! There do seem to be suggestions from several persons that the development of better batteries means that locos can be independently powered and not via the track, as indeed happens in real life.
The argument seems to go that this should make running better - because there are no problems with live or dead frogs at points or elsewhere to create pickup problems; that the track can then be used for track-circuiting as it is in real life; and that control can be exercised by radio. Also one would need to 'service' locos when the battery starts running down just as one had to when the prototypes started running out of water and/or coal.
It has its attractions, one must admit.

I like the idea of being 'signalman', hence my interest in signalling both prototype and model. But I wonder if one could program into the locos something of the human element? IE late running due to a 'poor fire' or incompetent fireman or loco needing overhaul, the occasional lapse in observing signals....
I wonder what will eventually happen!

Regards,
John Webb

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.