Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Railway/ computer room is steadly getting overcrowded with Model Rail and BRM magazines - the railway muddler ones I chucked in the bin - there are piles of them going back several years , I subscribe to both - Well I do this year see about nexts , so whole years issues would be available , I`d ebay them but too heavy to post ,
no I don`t have any Hornby mags

Question is what do you people all do with them ? , non rude answers only please , lets maintain standards chaps !

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
***Donate them to the local doctors surgery or dentist - then some lucky chap won''t have to read those tedious fashion or women's weekly scandal mags while he waits for his prostate exam :).

Or... donate to local school or scout group to possibly interest a new recruit to the hobby.... or give to the local club so they can make a few pence next local exhibition perhaps....

Richard

·
Dogsbody
1,387 Posts
A few years ago, I had to visit the British Consulate (on the outskirts of Pretoria) to renew my passport, and there in with all of the usual magazines that you get when visiting doctors and dentists was a couple of copies of Railway Modeller. I restarted the hobby after about 20 years away and haven't looked back ! Please donate them to the doctors - leave the dentists, they would probably take 'em home and deny the patients.

·
Premium Member
2,578 Posts
Donate to charity shops as they are good for reference and the money raised goes to a good cause.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
I usually keep the previous two years intact. After that I go through the mags, tear out the articles I think worth keeping and recycle the rest.

Regards,
John Webb

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
On balance I agree with John.

Regards

·
Premium Member
2,578 Posts
This is the rub, it costs more to recycle paper than to produce from raw pupl, Plus all those trees being cut down make room for new trees to be planted and to capture CO2 during the growth cycle.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Just a small sugestion whynot take them down to your local full size steam Railway (ie Swanage railway or other) or one you may visit as you always see lots for sale at them I sure they would only be too please to take them of your hands and without Heritage Railways we would not see the big models of yesterday not forgetting Thomas the Tank too

regards Noel

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
You could keep a large pile of them in the bathroom for toilet reading,they may come usefull as a shelf.

My stack is steadily growing ,so like others I've taken articles out and re-cycled the rest.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (Brian Considine @ 5 Feb 2009, 20:22) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The few that I actually buy I "give" to BRITHO to clutter up his place.

His address is................. (on second thoughts, maybe not !)

Of course if you wnt to send them with £20.00 notes attached then just pm me.

I also "store" books, unwanted buildings, damaged rolling stock, spare road vehicles etc.........

Regards

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (BRITHO @ 6 Feb 2009, 13:59) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Of course if you wnt to send them with £20.00 notes attached then just pm me.

I also "store" books, unwanted buildings, damaged rolling stock, spare road vehicles etc.........

Regards

For only a fiver I'll let you have BRITHO's address - send me a PM !

·
garage hobbit&#33;&#33;&#33;
1,715 Posts
QUOTE (Brian Considine @ 6 Feb 2009, 14:13) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>For only a fiver I'll let you have BRITHO's address - send me a PM !

For a Fiver! Just send them to the address on the bottom of his posts, Its on there every time he comments on MRF! Its free

Postie might not be happy though, years worth of mags are heavy

I have at least 6 years of RM & 3 of Steam Railway. Used to palm them of to Andii, but he has now subcribed for his own, so they live in a plastic box in the spare room in the 'one day useful reference' pile

·
Registered
526 Posts
QUOTE (wolverton bloomer @ 5 Feb 2009, 15:21) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Donate to charity shops as they are good for reference and the money raised goes to a good cause.

Seconded. My wife is the manager of one. 20p is no problem. The really old ones do get recycled eventually but did I not read somewhere that coated paper was not easy to recycle?

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Ah! "Len's of Sutton" where are you now? sigh.....

I disposed of a vast colection of 1970s and 80s model railway magazines to the Earlestoke Manor fund in the early 90s, they even collected them! However, you must check that your local line / loco preservation society want 'em before you trot down with 20 years worth of back numbers!

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
I would heartily endorse 60134's comment above. To many people tend to use preservation sites as somewhere to dispose of their domestic rubbish.

Regards

·
Dogsbody
1,387 Posts
Well I sent mine to BRITHO and the post office returned them as being overweight. They didn't say if was BRITHO or the magazines.

When will magazines be available on line or on disc so we can save a few more trees. The "bunny huggers" reckon that each of us need to plant 16 trees to replace the oxygen that we consume. If we buy magazines and newspapers does this increse the number of trees we use up ? If we use a disc, we used some oil that can not feed an internal combustion engine.

So confusing. I think I'll write to Railway Modeller for some advice !

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (bro sewell @ 2 Mar 2009, 19:43) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>For a Fiver! Just send them to the address on the bottom of his posts, Its on there every time he comments on MRF! Its free

I wouldn't - there's no such place as Nether Sennet!

QUOTE (BobB @ 3 Mar 2009, 17:37) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Well I sent mine to BRITHO and the post office returned them as being overweight. They didn't say if was BRITHO or the magazines.

Must have been the magazines.

Regards

1 - 20 of 20 Posts