Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

So my NCE Powercab arrived in the post today - I've followed the seemingly very simple instructions and connected it to a length of test track as suggested.

I've then installed (I hope correctly) a 6 pin TCS chip in the power car of my Farish Voyager - and nothing's happened. There's no red light on the panel, although the cab powers up no problem.

I thought it might be my installation of the chip, so I removed it and tried the loco on DC. Nothing happened.

Anyone got a solution for me?

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
QUOTE (N Gauge James @ 6 Feb 2009, 19:44) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hello all,

So my NCE Powercab arrived in the post today - I've followed the seemingly very simple instructions and connected it to a length of test track as suggested.

I've then installed (I hope correctly) a 6 pin TCS chip in the power car of my Farish Voyager - and nothing's happened. There's no red light on the panel, although the cab powers up no problem.

I thought it might be my installation of the chip, so I removed it and tried the loco on DC. Nothing happened.

Anyone got a solution for me?

Hi James,

Does the cab light up only momentarily ? it did with mine ..... the transformer was faulty i sent it back and got it changed over.

I would be tempted to ring your supplier of it for advice.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Nick - no the cab seems to be working fine. Not a sausage from the LED on the panel though.

I've just fried my first decoder as well running it on DC, I have no idea how though, I've checked and checked again the diagrams and everything seems to have been installed as it shows.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (BromsMods @ 6 Feb 2009, 20:09) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Try plugging the PowerCab into the other socket on the front of the panel. I also assume you are using the flat cable NOT the curly cable.

Regards

John R
Bromsgrove Models

I knew it would be simple - thanks John. I hadn't unpacked the box as well as I thought I had, correct cable/correct function.

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
Hi James,

Glad you got it sorted out

TCS offfer a no quibble replacement on their decoders if you send it back to the address on the instructions.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Me again - more problems.

I suspected that the first decoder died as it was touching some metal in the chassis, so this one's wrapped up in insulation.

Now all that happens is that the Powercab shorts out whenever I put the loco on the track. Under DC the loco will run perfectly in reverse, but not forwards. What could be the root of this?

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
To me it seems that one of the brush holders is still connected to the chassis - it is essential that both motor brushes are completely isolated from the chassis & pickups.

Even with a factory fitted decoder socket there could still be a wiring problem.

Double check - you may be lucky & not blown the decoder.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think I must have muddled the decoder that smoked with the other identical decoder - the healthy one is now installed and all is working well. Thanks to all for your help.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (N Gauge James @ 6 Feb 2009, 22:09) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I think I must have muddled the decoder that smoked with the other identical decoder - the healthy one is now installed and all is working well. Thanks to all for your help.
Bin there, done that myself - glad it's all OK in the end.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts