Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Britho,
John reference to the Old farts corner, old enough to remember when we got REAL snow would be a good indicator

Peter.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Find out you've got Crohne's disease (an inconvenient bug in the guts) when you're in your 50s. This makes you a genuine 'old fart' !

From one who knows from experience, alas,
John Webb

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (Duztee @ 9 Feb 2007, 22:56) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Britho,
John reference to the Old farts corner, old enough to remember when we got REAL snow would be a good indicator

Peter.

In that case I definetely qualify. I remember the blizzards of '63 (even though I was only 5.)

Regards

John (officially now an old fart)

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
I can just remember '63 but at the moment we have over a foot of melting snow to contend with here - what happened to global warming?

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
QUOTE (60134 @ 10 Feb 2007, 18:58) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I can just remember '63 but at the moment we have over a foot of melting snow to contend with here - what happened to global warming?

Global warming means there's going to be too much fresh water in the Atlantic which is going to switch off the Atlantic Conveyer so no more Gulfstream and we're all going to freeze.

Thats another layer of insulation required for the loft then and a second heater wouldn't go amiss either.

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
QUOTE (ironduke @ 10 Feb 2007, 22:16) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'm old enough to hate rap, does that count? and techno.. what's that about??

That doesn't mean your old, it just means you've got sense

Up the Irons, roll on Sunday 10th June

let's see who figures what's happening then

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE (ironduke @ 10 Feb 2007, 22:16) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'm old enough to hate rap, does that count? and techno.. what's that about??
I think both answers are correct, Yes you are old enough to apply for membership of the Old Fart's Corner, and Yes! you definately have sense!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey old Farts...can I join in,
born in 52 grumpier by the day, can't understand Techno...what is it? Copious amounts of wind....and getting greyer by the day!!! But can still "shake a tail feather"!!...pretty sad eh!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
[quote name='The Sleeper' date='11 Feb 2007, 11:54' post='21834']
:and getting greyer by the day!!!
You've still got hair!!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Guess i'm also an automatically enrolled member of this exclusive club, the winter of 63, i was 12 years old, had a triang train set, and remember the snow and ice hanging around for the best part of six weeks, and still had to go to school, no HSE then shutting the schools down when the first flake of snow falls, yep, i moan, i fart, i'm a fully fledged member.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
lordy...I recall trams in Liverpool, was at college in Cardiff, with the trolleybuses...., remember the pilings going in for Spaghetti Junct........drove London Transport RT's in anger......had Triang TT.....including a lot of the old brown track.......still have a suburban brake coach...but painted in my version of SR green.....had a twin-motored A1A diesel!.........plus...took a hacksaw to a new Triang jinty at Xmas..to convert into a OOn3 loco, via an Airfix pug!..(the hacksaw was also an Xmas pressie!!).......in 1967, my passport and dox said I was 6 foot 4" tall.....I am now officially 6 foot 1 1/2" tall.....which explains why my belly has shot out in front!

yep, not only do I qualify as an auld fahrt.....but have achieved dirty ol' man status as well!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I might as well join as officially I am too old for Grumpy old man status (age 35-54 apparently according to the BBC): can recall 1963 snow but not 1947.

Remember the trolley buses in Brighton and the RT buses and the old pre-war SR EMU stock (2-BIL, 4-LAV and so on - why did the SR have this fixation about the lav provision in its EMUs?)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Can't remember the snows of 47, but do remember the Coronation and holding my hand out on Wimbledon station for the Waterloo bound train to stop for my first train ride. Remember Mum's boyfriend turning up for her in a JAP powered Morgan 3 wheeler!
Rode the trams in Wimbledon and marvelled at the new fangled trolley buses in Kingston.
Got snowed in at RAF Binbook in the '63, but remember all my childhood days as being bathed in sunshine and the sea at Brighton was always warm
Yup, I've reached the Grumpy Old Pharte stage! it's downhill all the way now :-(

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (R T Fact @ 15 Feb 2007, 23:42) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>.......and the old pre-war SR EMU stock (2-BIL, 4-LAV and so on - why did the SR have this fixation about the lav provision in its EMUs?)

It could have been they were proud to announce they had the facilities on their suburban stock, whereas many other companies didn't. However I think it more likely that it was more to do with operational needs. Anyone have a definitive answer?

Regards

John

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
>can be considered for grumpy auldfahrt status...if one has lived through the reigns of two monarchs?

Perception of age is a funny thing. Shortly after our eldest son went to school, he came home asking if we had any photos of ourselves (i.e. his parents) at school in Victorian times. Since only two of our eight grandparents had even been children at that time, we wondered just how old we must look; said son is now 22.

Age is a state of mind, but maybe if you consider youth to be wasted on the young, you qualify?

David

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
I too could possibly join this select group being born just after WW2 started. My daughter gave me a T shirt last Xmas with the CSI TV show logo on the back & underneath, it explains what CSI means - " Crabby Senior inside".
I do get a bit techy with some things nowdays - tolerance has shifted a bit just like my body mass.
Looking back on my childhood, I had better fun in the 1940-1950's than my grandchildren of today. We did not have the flash gizmos like what is available now but I am sure in having to build our own carts, etc, we appreciated them more. Does that make me an Old fart?
Ron

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
David and Ron, I totally agree you both qualify to join our corner, it would be nice to be a teenager again, but I don't think I really want to be one in this day and age, bring back the long hot summers when 5 of us used to play the whole Ashes series, batting twice each for each team with one bowler and 3 fielders helped by the garden hedges acting as catchers too, and we WERE happy!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts