Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Totally Crazy.......
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have just been given the full collection of railway modeler and model railway modeler dating right back from 1990 to 1955 - These are all in binders and are absolutly full of drawings, Plans and intresting articles about all aspects of model railway modeling. There are so many drawings and plans i cant even start to say but i am wondering if I would be allowed to publish them all on the Internet for everyone to have access to. I know from my own experience sometimes you really want a drawing and even after trawling the net for hours you find nothing. It will take me about 6 months to scan and add all the drawings to a site and thats if im actually allowed to do it. So if anyone is looking for anything in particular and dont mind waiting - please IM me and i will try and email you any drawings i have on that item...................................

Nikki

·
Registered
174 Posts
Wouldn't the 1955 ones etc now be out of date for copyright? Isn't there a time limit before it becomes free so to speak?

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Copyright lasts for at least 70 years after the authors death and I think lots of the authors are still alive. I'm sure Peco would sue at the drop of a hat too. Not worth the risk of publishing them.

·
Registered
174 Posts
There's nothing stopping you asking for permission to publish them though? If they agree then all is well and you can proceed as planned.

·
Totally Crazy.......
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thats true - I wasnt going to make any money out of it - I just wanted to allow everyone to access them. I think it would be great to have an online depository for plans from magazines etc - Maybe if it was only say ten years behind or something. I will write to PECO in the new year and see if they will allow me to do so. Im going to log every single drawing in the magazines anyway so if you need any please just ask i will see what we have !!!!!!!!!

·
Administrator
9,852 Posts
QUOTE Im going to log every single drawing in the magazines anyway

I'd be very surprised if someone hasn't done this already and published a CD? Or maybe nobody has the stamina to try?

As far as I can remember, when I was taking RM regularly in the '70s, every month had a wagon drawing and maybe a station building too. That's a lot of useful drawings. It's a shame they aren't available on line even for a modest fee.

David

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
All magazines are subject to normal laws of copyright.

Many of the magazine article authors are still around.

How would you feel if somebody published your work without permission?

You also have to remember that there are plenty of current published works such as books where these plans are available if you purchase the book and where royalties are paid or a licence obtained to publish the plan.

If you wish to publish such plans on the internet you should contact the National Railway Museum in York as they have a massive archive of such plans.

A good idea but get permission first.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Another issue centres on the 'accuracy' of such plans.

40-odd years ago when I first started ''serious'' railway modelling..ie took hacksaw to plastic.....Skinley drawings were deemed to be the final word...until folk started to find discrepancies?

The accuracy of a drawing depends very much on the original sources of information.......and interpretation thereof, by the draughtsperson.

Publication thereof on the 'net may well lead to greater perpetuation of a myth?

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (Gary @ 22 Dec 2007, 09:34) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>How would you feel if somebody published your work without permission?

If any of my work had been published in a magazine, rather than a book I would feel flattered.

Madkitten is only trying to be helpful.

If you take it to the extreme even photocoping/scanning is technically against copyright laws, except for provate use & even that may be a grey area.

·
Totally Crazy.......
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I found other sites online that acctually sell old drawings out of magazines.............. I think that is wrong cause its as many of you have said its not really fair on the people who drew them originally. I am however not going to post any up onto the internet untill i have spoke to Peco etc as it is there magazine after all. I do however really think that modelers need a library of plans drawing and general information online and would love to be the one to start it. Maybe if i could collate not only the magazines but peoples own drawings they would want to donate - I would be happy to post all mine for people to have for free - And there are many of them as well. I think the issue comes when its books and drawings etc that are still in print - But then if you can still get them then there is no reason to copy them any way. The library idea i have is just for all the old bits and peices and books you can no longer get etc. Will probably have to contact every source owner but then if they say yes its all the more information for people out there to see.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
And just to add variety - I have a fair number of European drawings - just don't ask me what or where.

Regards

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
QUOTE (BRITHO @ 27 Dec 2007, 13:13) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>And just to add variety - I have a fair number of European drawings - just don't ask me what or where.

Regards

I must find a drawing for a typical 50's/60's DB or DR open wagon.....I have tried ebay for Pola Maxi, and there seem to be some current manufacturers' tanks and stuff for sale.....but the prices outweigh what I need them for....simply something for the Kof conversion I started years ago, on a Lima O gauge 4 wheel shunter....

I can stand to buy O gauge wheel sets....but the rest I would scratchbuild.....somehow, £20-plus for a wagon...and a plastic one at that, sticks in my wallet?

Happy New year?

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (alastairq @ 27 Dec 2007, 16:13) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I must find a drawing for a typical 50's/60's DB or DR open wagon.....

I'll have a look and see if I can find anything suitable.

Regards

1 - 17 of 17 Posts