Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get an 0-8-0 engine and I see one on Ebay. It looks like a DDR era Piko loco. But I intend my layout to run on Ciode 75 Peco track. Will a DDR era Piko chassis run on this or is it too coarse?

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Don't know about HO, but if they're anything like the N Scale ones the flanges are too deep and catch on the sleepers. Easy enough to fix with diesels, but harder with steam.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
If it's the older "iron curtain" model it does have coarse wheel flanges & probably will not run very well - the mechanism is poor on these versions although it is quite a pleasant looking model.

I have the Trix SNCB version of the 0-8-0 tender loco - it is a superb runner & very powerful.

Some of the earlier Fleischmann 55's have quite coarse wheels too.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
good point Brian, I only thought of Tank locomotives, not tender locomotives.

Aagin the MaTrix class 55 is a nice piece of work.

However if you wanted an 0-10-0 the Brawa class 57 is simply outstanding.

John

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (john woodall @ 25 Sep 2008, 11:40) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>However if you wanted an 0-10-0 the Brawa class 57 is simply outstanding.

As indeed is the price!

Regards

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (john woodall @ 25 Sep 2008, 10:40) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>good point Brian, I only thought of Tank locomotives, not tender locomotives.
John

Ah, but it gets confusing because what we know as a "tank" locomotive is a "tenderlok" elseware !

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Hi Dave,

Yes it was not cheap, but such a stunning locomotive.

The sound is great, pulling power is excellent, detail is fantastic.

Not a lot more to say about it really.

Now I await the class 94 in DRG colours

John

1 - 8 of 8 Posts