Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
QUOTE when i was young, we had a shop in south side glasgow called mcmillan models. typical toy shop that had a large model train dept. they always had a layout in the window. when mum went to the butchers shop next door, she'd leave me outside staring in awe at the model trains going around on the layout in the window. then she'd want to go to the bakers, the fruit & veg shop and as i got older was allowed to wait outside the model shop for longer as she went off to get her shopping. and occasionally, she'd take me inside and buy me a wagon or a station building or something else small - i remember the excitement of choosing a wagon. i still have them all in my model railway cupboard in their boxes. i luv bringing them out to look at every now and again and i get reminded of the moment of being bought them!. as you, they were special days.

That took me back! I never got to the shop(Macmillans), although we used to pass it while going on our summer holidays to England (no M8 then, our route was Paisley- Busby- East Kilbride -Strathaven- A74!). Although I usually bought the Hornby catalogue from them at their stand at Model Rail Scotland, which at that time was in the superb MacLellan Galleries.

Great memories!

In Paisley, there really wasn't much in the way of model trains. We had the Variety stores toyshop which had a shelf of railway items in the window . The railway section was right at the back of the shop with all these lovely red boxes. My mother bought me treats whenever I had been to the dentist, so I do remember getting a Triang Mk1 SR brake (on the basis that it was the same colour as the green dmus in the area) and a Blue Pullman dummy motor car with full yellow ends - the closest I could get to what I now know were Class 303 emus - well it was blue and yellow! There was Hughes the ironmonger in Neilston Road . I remember getting a B12 freight set from him when he closed down in early 74. Apart from that there was Browns sweet shop which started to stock some Hornby in the mid seventies.

There was a thrill opening red boxes back then - which I don't really get now. Probably an age thing!

For serious purchases it had to be Argyle Models in the heilandmans umbrella!

Russell

·
Registered
982 Posts
QUOTE wow - id forgotten all about argyle models! ... what happened to them?

They had the small shop under Central Station with the construction kits upstairs and railways downstairs . Magical place! I remember they had display cases with Trix and Wrenn stuff which as a Triang Hornby boy I thought was very exotic. Always wanted a blue Wrenn Sir Nigel Gresley. They used to have lots of catalogues as well. I remember getting a Minitrix one there probably around 1969. It had the rheingold coaches in red /cream and E103 loco.

Moved to a much larger shop just along the road (still under Central station) in 1978, but I think had gone around 1982. I don't know if it was the higher overheads. There seemed to be a period around 78/79 when model shops sprang up in Glasgow only to disappear around 1982. SMS set up in Wellington Street, Railmail was round the corner in St Vincent Street. You had Argyle Models and a shop in Cambridge Street. I think there was one in the High street too. Railmail eventually became D & F and moved to Parnie Street . But the rest have gone. Not to mention Lewis's and Menzies that had a large Hornby section in the mid 70s

Russell

·
Registered
982 Posts
QUOTE M.G.Sharp also used to be in Glasgow, now in Yorkshire.

Always wondered why they had an affinity with Glasgow. They used to turn up in the MacLellan Galleries every yeasr, long before these shops traveled nationwide.

Great memories

Russell

·
Registered
982 Posts
Always fancied going by sleeper to London but never got round to it. How do you make sure you get a berth by yourself? Do you have to share these days ?

Russell

1 - 4 of 4 Posts