Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
when i was young, we had a shop in south side glasgow called mcmillan models. typical toy shop that had a large model train dept. they always had a layout in the window. when mum went to the butchers shop next door, she'd leave me outside staring in awe at the model trains going around on the layout in the window. then she'd want to go to the bakers, the fruit & veg shop and as i got older was allowed to wait outside the model shop for longer as she went off to get her shopping. and occasionally, she'd take me inside and buy me a wagon or a station building or something else small - i remember the excitement of choosing a wagon. i still have them all in my model railway cupboard in their boxes. i luv bringing them out to look at every now and again and i get reminded of the moment of being bought them!. as you, they were special days.

its one of the reasons i so enjoyed my time in the model shop in kansas - an old time shop - like the ones i knew as a kid - stacked hi - bit chaotic - boxes of things everywhere - but nothing was hidden away or out of reach!. was just magical being in there!

nowadays, i still get the thrill of buying a new train set - i like to buy the german start sets!. ... that excitement of opening the box has never gone away for me!. lol. maybe my next one will have to be a marklin start set to keep and cherish before they are no longer around as we know them!

·
Registered
407 Posts
hi neil,

yes harburn hobbies is also a great "old-time" model store ... i dont go to ediburgh very often ... being a "west coaster" lol ... but on the odd time i go over, i always pop into harburn and i thoroughly enjoy a visit there. lots of things to look at - i always think of these shops as almost like a real -life living catalogue, walking thru and browsing at all the items in real life size!.

·
Registered
407 Posts
wow - id forgotten all about argyle models! ... what happened to them? sadly, i still get that thrill of opening red boxes but these days they have Fleischmann on the side or Maerklin!.

·
Registered
407 Posts
wow - uv got a great memory - i remember the name railmail! ... but dont ever remember going into the shop in st vincent st. but i do remember argyle models - i think the larger shop is the one that i remember - and it was like u said, fantastic! ... its a shame the market isnt the way it was back then to support all these stores!. u cant even blame the internet / ebay for killing them off as a lot of them died away well before internet shopping became popular.

·
Registered
407 Posts
QUOTE (frame69 @ 22 Mar 2009, 18:48) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The only time I've visited Scotland was with my dad in the lorry when I was a child,perhaps a visit is due as I'd like to go on the Kyle/Lochalsh line and a friend has a restaurant up there and a visit to some model shops is a must. Regards Andy.
PS,bored of driving so a train journey is the way to get up there...

hi there Andy,

if your going to go by train, you could try the london - glasgow journey by overnight sleeper, its operated by scotrail and its the caledonian sleeper. i had to use it about 2 years ago to get to london early morning because heathrow had been fogged in for about 4 days and there were no domestic flights to and from there from glasgow/edinburgh and i was stuck!. i went to the station and was told it was full apart from a few 1st class berths and it cost £128 one way from glasgow - london. (much cheaper if booked in advance - this price was on night of travel) i had to take it, i had to get to the office in london!. and it was really lovely.

i arrived at glasgow central about 10pm and the staff at the platform checked me off a list a like at an airport. they directed me to a particular carriage where a steward showed me to my berth. he asked me what time id like to be woken up if at all on arrival and if i preferred tea or coffee which wud be brought in on a tray. he then invited me to use the onboard bar/dining car for a meal/drink. i settled into my berth, then went to the bar and had a drink and they asked if id like dinner and said they recommend i make a reservation as it gets busy. i said id eat as we left glasgow. i had haggis and neeps and a glass of red wine as we pulled out of glasgow. the food was delicious, hot and fresh and no reminding of the "British Rail" pork pie or sandwich!.

back in my berth i hopped into bed, it was so comfortable with lovely white soft sheets and pillow and so so quiet!. in the night i woke up and was thirsty. i rang the call bell and the steward brought me a bottle of water!. i slept soundly all the way and about 1 hr before arrival, as i had asked i had a knock on the door, the steward opened the door and pushed in a tray with a pot of hot tea as i had asked along with a warm croissant, 2 luxury yoghurt, a danish, some orange juice and the morning newspaper of my choice. i was very impressed and was ready to go to the office when we arrived after a very very pleasant journey!.

i was invited to go to the 1st class lounge to have clothes pressed, a shower and a cooked breakfast but i wanted to get to my office so declined but i thought it was a great way to travel from glasgow to london. the train is very quiet - amazingly so in the berths. it doesnt travel too fast taking about 7 1/2 hrs from glasgow to london but its very comfortable and id highly recommend it if u wanna get up north comfortably then take the scenic train ride to kyle of lochalsh!.

the website for the sleeper isnt easy to use to book (www.scotrail.co.uk/sleeper) but the reservations on the telephone are very helpful - scotrail sleeper 08457 55 00 33 if yr interested but book in advance as its much cheaper that way and also it gets quite busy at certain times. one last thing, for some reason there are no sleepers departing on saturday nights to glasgow!.

some pics for you!:-

the sleeper carriage:-

lovely soft white pillows and crisp sheets:-

my berth:-

morning tray and paper served!:-

·
Registered
407 Posts
QUOTE (rb277170 @ 23 Mar 2009, 20:14) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Always fancied going by sleeper to London but never got round to it. How do you make sure you get a berth by yourself? Do you have to share these days ?

Russell

QUOTE (neil_s_wood @ 23 Mar 2009, 21:58) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Same here, is there a single supplement?

hi neil and russell...

in 1st class, u have the berth to yourself, ( i had no choice - i had to buy 1st class on that occasion coz it was all that was left ) ... on a standard class ticket you share the berth with someone else of the same sex. there are 2 beds in each berth, an upper and a lower, when you travel on a 1st class ticket, the upper bed is locked away ... on a 2nd class ticket, the upper bed is unlocked for the other person.

u cud be lucky on a 2nd class ticket and be lucky and have the berth to yourself if the train isnt busy, but theres no guarantee of that.

there are also "couchettes" which are like large reclining seats that recline quite far back. they are cheaper again and look quite comfortable. i dont have any pics of them - they were occupied so i didnt like to take a pic of them lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts