Model Railway Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
QUOTE (frame69 @ 22 Mar 2009, 18:48) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The only time I've visited Scotland was with my dad in the lorry when I was a child,perhaps a visit is due as I'd like to go on the Kyle/Lochalsh line and a friend has a restaurant up there and a visit to some model shops is a must. Regards Andy.
PS,bored of driving so a train journey is the way to get up there...

hi there Andy,

if your going to go by train, you could try the london - glasgow journey by overnight sleeper, its operated by scotrail and its the caledonian sleeper. i had to use it about 2 years ago to get to london early morning because heathrow had been fogged in for about 4 days and there were no domestic flights to and from there from glasgow/edinburgh and i was stuck!. i went to the station and was told it was full apart from a few 1st class berths and it cost £128 one way from glasgow - london. (much cheaper if booked in advance - this price was on night of travel) i had to take it, i had to get to the office in london!. and it was really lovely.

i arrived at glasgow central about 10pm and the staff at the platform checked me off a list a like at an airport. they directed me to a particular carriage where a steward showed me to my berth. he asked me what time id like to be woken up if at all on arrival and if i preferred tea or coffee which wud be brought in on a tray. he then invited me to use the onboard bar/dining car for a meal/drink. i settled into my berth, then went to the bar and had a drink and they asked if id like dinner and said they recommend i make a reservation as it gets busy. i said id eat as we left glasgow. i had haggis and neeps and a glass of red wine as we pulled out of glasgow. the food was delicious, hot and fresh and no reminding of the "British Rail" pork pie or sandwich!.

back in my berth i hopped into bed, it was so comfortable with lovely white soft sheets and pillow and so so quiet!. in the night i woke up and was thirsty. i rang the call bell and the steward brought me a bottle of water!. i slept soundly all the way and about 1 hr before arrival, as i had asked i had a knock on the door, the steward opened the door and pushed in a tray with a pot of hot tea as i had asked along with a warm croissant, 2 luxury yoghurt, a danish, some orange juice and the morning newspaper of my choice. i was very impressed and was ready to go to the office when we arrived after a very very pleasant journey!.

i was invited to go to the 1st class lounge to have clothes pressed, a shower and a cooked breakfast but i wanted to get to my office so declined but i thought it was a great way to travel from glasgow to london. the train is very quiet - amazingly so in the berths. it doesnt travel too fast taking about 7 1/2 hrs from glasgow to london but its very comfortable and id highly recommend it if u wanna get up north comfortably then take the scenic train ride to kyle of lochalsh!.

the website for the sleeper isnt easy to use to book (www.scotrail.co.uk/sleeper) but the reservations on the telephone are very helpful - scotrail sleeper 08457 55 00 33 if yr interested but book in advance as its much cheaper that way and also it gets quite busy at certain times. one last thing, for some reason there are no sleepers departing on saturday nights to glasgow!.

some pics for you!:-

the sleeper carriage:-

lovely soft white pillows and crisp sheets:-

my berth:-

morning tray and paper served!:-

·
Registered
982 Posts
Always fancied going by sleeper to London but never got round to it. How do you make sure you get a berth by yourself? Do you have to share these days ?

Russell

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Thank's for the info DB
I may go from north wales as my girlfriends aunty lives at Menai Bridge and we fancy paying her a visit

·
Registered
407 Posts
QUOTE (rb277170 @ 23 Mar 2009, 20:14) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Always fancied going by sleeper to London but never got round to it. How do you make sure you get a berth by yourself? Do you have to share these days ?

Russell

QUOTE (neil_s_wood @ 23 Mar 2009, 21:58) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Same here, is there a single supplement?

hi neil and russell...

in 1st class, u have the berth to yourself, ( i had no choice - i had to buy 1st class on that occasion coz it was all that was left ) ... on a standard class ticket you share the berth with someone else of the same sex. there are 2 beds in each berth, an upper and a lower, when you travel on a 1st class ticket, the upper bed is locked away ... on a 2nd class ticket, the upper bed is unlocked for the other person.

u cud be lucky on a 2nd class ticket and be lucky and have the berth to yourself if the train isnt busy, but theres no guarantee of that.

there are also "couchettes" which are like large reclining seats that recline quite far back. they are cheaper again and look quite comfortable. i dont have any pics of them - they were occupied so i didnt like to take a pic of them lol

·
Registered
283 Posts
The ultimate Aladdin's cave in the 'old' days was Hattons when it was in the single shop at 180 Smithdown Road Wavertree Liverpool.

Hugely cramped as the mail order business had already taken off - but they also provided a 'proper' retail shop downstairs (as they still do BTW - but in far more spacious accomodation further down the road).

·
Registered
352 Posts
My local model railway shop was BECKS in camden passage at the angel islington, london, it seemed to sell everything there, as you walked thru the door the floor slopped away, but sitting on the shelves behind the counter were row upon row of red boxes, all with triang railways on them, there was something special about going into the shop, i made my first big purchase there, it was Winston Churchill and it cost me a whopping 63 shilling. it was my pride and joy, and gave me hour upon hour of fun.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Just got to Southampton and found that my favourite model shop in the area has moved to Shirley rd,this is a great shop as he stocks lots and lots of used items.This is a great shop.Well worth a visit.
Frame.

·
Premium Member
6,202 Posts
Hi Andy,

Glad you got there ok

Good hunting for some nice bargains

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
QUOTE (db ice 3 @ 12 Mar 2009, 07:28) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>wow - uv got a great memory - i remember the name railmail! ... but dont ever remember going into the shop in st vincent st....

I remember RailMail too. IIRC Railway Modeller received lots of complaints about their mail order and subsequently, RM didn't take their advertising.
They had a habbit of advertising things but what you got, wasn't what you thought you were buying!

Taking the opposite end of the country, does anyone remember:

- West Wickham models - they used to be near West Wickham swimming baths. I believe the whole area is up-market restuarants now.

- Gaugemaster when they were in Worthing

- Gaugemaster's other shop at Bognor

- Hobbyhorse models at Worthing - they were just round the corner from Gaugemaster

- Mid Sussex Models, junction road, Burgess Hill - I remember when this first opened in the 80's

- Kemp Models when they were next to Brighton station

- Kemp models when they moved to Hove

- East Grinstead models - used to be in London Road near the end of Imberhorne Ln just up from the Felbridge Hotel

- Another East Grinstead models in the East Grinstead town centre - used to be half models, half sewing shop

- Vale Link models - used to be on the road from Brighton station heading towards the beach

- South Croydon models - used to be down near South Croydon station. The buildings have long since been demolished

Oh happy memories as a teenager, putting my bike on a train to get to these places and then cycling the rest of the way!

Graham Plowman

·
Alan D
1,480 Posts
QUOTE (rb277170 @ 8 Mar 2009, 14:11) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>That took me back! I never got to the shop(Macmillans), although we used to pass it while going on our summer holidays to England (no M8 then, our route was Paisley- Busby- East Kilbride -Strathaven- A74!). Although I usually bought the Hornby catalogue from them at their stand at Model Rail Scotland, which at that time was in the superb MacLellan Galleries.

Great memories!

In Paisley, there really wasn't much in the way of model trains. We had the Variety stores toyshop which had a shelf of railway items in the window . The railway section was right at the back of the shop with all these lovely red boxes. My mother bought me treats whenever I had been to the dentist, so I do remember getting a Triang Mk1 SR brake (on the basis that it was the same colour as the green dmus in the area) and a Blue Pullman dummy motor car with full yellow ends - the closest I could get to what I now know were Class 303 emus - well it was blue and yellow! There was Hughes the ironmonger in Neilston Road . I remember getting a B12 freight set from him when he closed down in early 74. Apart from that there was Browns sweet shop which started to stock some Hornby in the mid seventies.

There was a thrill opening red boxes back then - which I don't really get now. Probably an age thing!

For serious purchases it had to be Argyle Models in the heilandmans umbrella!

Russell

I well remember the Variety Stores. It closed after I was 18. This I know because my mother bought me a hornby "Mallard" from there. It was the most expensive Hornby engine at the time and when I took it home it didn't work. We took it back and instantly got a replacement. I used to love to go there when I was a kid because right at the front door they had baskets full of Timpo Swap-its. I had a very big collection of Cowboys and Indians Including wagons buildings and A large wooden "Fort Laramie" It was great.

Sadly my mother gave it all away one day when I wasn't looking along with my Action Men, Matchbox Motorway and An awful lot of Lego. A lot of which was indeed bought from the Variety Store Let's just say I was not happy
. However she never gave away the trains as she thought one day they might be worth something. If only she new how much some of the other stuff was worth now.

I still have board games like Monopoly The one from the 60's with the Cardboard container (No plastic) It's a bit tatty but I love it for nostalgia's sake.

There have been a few toy shops since but none like this old style. And we used to have MacKay's Models which actually operated from The original rear entrance of Paisley Gilmour St. Eventualy though when the lease was up BR wanted their entrance back so they had to move to The Abbey Mill business
centre. It was never the same as it was more of a mail order business and not a shop as such. Although they still welcomed customers.

Cheers

Alan

·
Registered
137 Posts
Does anyone remember "Josephs" and "The Railway King" in Sunderland? Josephs was a great toy shop. They had evrery toy possible. The Railway King had a good selection of second hand stuff.

Jonty14

·
Registered
136 Posts
I remember 2 Model Shops in Watford.

Oborne's in Vicarage Road a Tailors shop that morphed into a Model Shop lot of wood draws with delights hidden within. I purchased a secondhand Trix Warship from there and the original BR Blue Triang Met-Can DMU both of which I still have.

and

The Hobby Centre on Market Street I used go into the shop on most Saturdays and remember saving up my pocket money to get a Triang Class 37 pure magic in those days.

Xerces Fobe

·
Registered
604 Posts
We used to have a toyshop in Bridge Street, Brigg, Lincolnshire called Harold Greens, he was also a music stockist and picture framer. I went ther every Saturday for years. He was my great uncle but it did not prompt any freebies but the discount wasn't bad at times. I believe he had rather short arms and deep pockets.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Another good one at Redcar Chas Skinner, the Model Shop in Station Road, he later moved into Dundas Street then after several years moved again, this time to The Esplanade, smack on the sea front. However durring this move Chas being himself would'nt accept any help, and suffered minor heart complaints, the shop only oppened for a few months, when the final one hit him and upstairs he went !

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just come across this thread. Does anybody remember The Kit Shop in Pontypridd. I think it was at 44 Rickards Street Graig, not far from the railway station. The owner of the shop was Mr. Roy Sarver if I remember correctly. It was like entering Alladin's cave. His son took it over and ruined it. The shop closed about three months after his son took it over. This was about 1981/2/3.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts